Climax Rules Resources Videos Ladders Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero Climax » General Tips?
XoPachi
Mr. EAD
General Tips?
Reply to this Post

Hiya!

I'm new around here and after lurking for a few days, I hadn't noticed a thread that gave general tips on how to improve racing lines in F-Zero Climax. There also isn't a tier list (assuming it matters for this game). I seem to be having trouble maintaining speed around my corners. I watch Yazzo's videos and he slides about like you can in F-Zero X. But I'm having trouble understanding how it works.

May I get some basic tech fundamentals, please?

I'm bad. 'u`

Yazzo
Staff Ghost
Re: General Tips?
Reply to this Post

Yo. Well to start off, this game got a lot of similarities with MV and GPL. The fundamentals with the Drifting, Strafing, Blast Turning and more are the same so if you take a look at this page which describes all the tech for MV, you'll also learn a lot about Climax (and GPL).

There are some significant differences though. For example the JDT does not work (doesn't for GPL either) and you can't take advantage of the CPU's like you can in MV. The main difference though is the boosting system where it works like in GPL where you lose power as you boost and you need to hit the refills to build up the power again to able to boost more. The difference between Climax and GPL though is that in GPL you can just hold down the boost-button to continiously use it, but in Climax you have to manually time it everytime which makes it a lot tricker. You need to make sure you time this well so that you can continue building up your speed (important on lap 2) and then keep max speed throughout the rest of lap 2 and 3. In addition, the game got something called "Boost Fire" which you get on lap 2 and 3. This is an extra boost that puts you up to high speed quickly and that you can use anytime you want. You want to use this one in the beginning on lap 2 though to go up to speed fast (but don't use it too quickly, then you won't get the max effect), and then on the 3rd lap you can sometimes use it a bit later to improve your boost-pattern and to make certain turns easier to take that way. You never really wanna boost in the middle of a turn (or when you're drifting since that means you'd lose some speed). Another important thing about lap 2 is that you want to hit the dash-plates since it makes you reach max speed quicker. Once you reach max speed though you don't want to hit them anymore, so you can skip them on lap 3 especially to take quicker routes.

Also, if you press down when drifting, you will do a drift with an even greater angle. This seems to not be useful on the opener other than sometimes being able to slightly adjust your line, but on the boost laps you want to do it as much as possible as it makes you go faster. A big reason why I could beat so many of RichardTaro's times so quickly is because of using this much more than him. You can also press up when drifting and that makes you do a different kind of drift that feels completely different. I wasn't sure if this one was useful at all in the beginning, but then I found out it's faster if you do it on the ice-surface for some reason.

The game got lots of different settings as well which you unlock through Survival-mode. Just play through the easiest difficult with the different ships to unlock them (go up in the list, I think that unlocks things faster). I don't really know much about them, but the ones I use (which I copied from RichardTaro who may know more about them) are these. Sometimes I add brake on D-Pad Up for certain tracks, and Side Attack on Double Tap L/R to make the shortcut on Port Town - Half Dome (may be useful on other tracks too, I haven't played through all of them yet).

You almost always want to use the Crazy Bear. Twin Norrita travels longer in air and thus can do the shortcuts easier, but its drifting isn't very good, and it got lower speed on the opener. The only track I know of right now that needs to have Twin Norrita used is Mist Flow - Double Link. There's also Night Thunder which is used on Big Blue - Big Billow since it seems like it can go through the very tight corners with higher speed than Crazy Bear. Great Star also seems to be used sometimes, but I don't really know why as I haven't had to use it yet.

To be honest, it feels like there's still a lot about this game that hasn't been discovered yet. Mainly because so few have played it.

XoPachi
Mr. EAD
Re: General Tips?
Reply to this Post

...Holy crap. That's more intimidating than F-Zero GX. I don't think I'll be running this game competitively for a good few years. I'll look into what you posted and try most of the things I can understand. 

Thanks for the help!

Index » F-Zero Climax » General Tips?