Home Page
F-Zero Central Community Update (Jul.) Championships General Forum Players Photo Album
F-Zero Climax
F-Zero GP Legend
F-Zero MV
F-Zero X
F-Zero GX
F-Zero SNES
F-Zero Climax F-Zero GP Legend F-Zero MV F-Zero X F-Zero GX F-Zero SNES
Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
X Rules Resources Videos Ladders Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero X » F-ZERO X: Machine Tier List
CGN
Staff Ghost
F-ZERO X: Machine Tier List
Reply to this Post

I decided to make a neat little machine tier list for this game. I think it's pretty accurate overall, and I think other top players will agree with most of the order. I want to do a little bit of testing later to see if I exaggerated in some of the decisions I made, so don't be surprised if minor changes with the order happens in the near future.

I suppose this page also works decently as a quick way to look up the details for each machine. I can imagine some people will occasionally look up this page for that purpose.

Anyway, here is the link: http://crazygamenerd.web.fc2.com/FZX_MTR.html

WMJ
Staff Ghost
Re: F-ZERO X: Machine Tier List
Reply to this Post

Nice website and interesting list you got there. Not surprisingly I agree with it for the most part but not completely. While the section you wrote about weight is correct the effects it has are a little more nuanced. It all depends on the strategy you would use however so your list can be entirely accurate depending on what strategy and track you have in mind.

On the vast majority of tracks lighter cars are really advantageous over heavier cars. Things to consider are tracks with many corners, slopes (including loopings) and air maneuvers where you really want as low weight as possible. The extra acceleration advantage really wins out on tracks like that (especially when floating in the air). Even on Silence 1, where you drive essentially a straight line inside a giant looping, the slope makes it so the Twin Noritta is better than ships with more weight such as Red Gazelle.

Some notable exceptions to the light > heavy bias include Sector Alpha, Mute City 2 and White Land 1. Depending on the need for drifting power and air time, heavier cars can be better. Sector Alpha is one of those tracks with almost no drifting where the Crazy Bear is the best choice maintaining the speed well from one dive. If you play a jumper strategy you want heavier cars like the Red Gazelle, Night Thunder, Death Anchor or Crazy Bear for those tracks. In that case mostly tracks with jump plates that allow heavy cars to pick up considerably more speed (even without advanced techniques) and keep the gained speed longer.

Some notable tracks with a heavy advantage for acceleration include Big Blue, Red Canyon 1 (partly depending on the strategy). On Big Blue there is some much air maneuvering that the Twin Noritta is really the only car of choice. On Red Canyon, depending on the strategy, there are so many slopes and air maneuvers with comparatively little drifting that the Wonder Wasp can really be a better choice than Hell Hawk. Playing a jumper strategy on Red Canyon you also want to change your settings +2 – 3 from the middle for the Twin Noritta in that case compared to + 4 – 5 for the majority of other tracks.

For beginning players body can also be stat to look out for. A good example for that would be a jumper strategy on Sector Beta. You do want a relatively light car with good boost but the poor E body of the Noritta makes it very vulnerable to wall collisions after the big dives. In that case I actually suggest Deep Claw as the best choice. For White Land 1 I would take the Night Thunder playing jumper as the extra weight is advantageous there.

Ok hope this can bring some more nuance to the story Smile.

Thunder_Luigi
Fire Stingray
Re: F-ZERO X: Machine Tier List
Reply to this Post

I don't do much time trial-ing so my opinion won't be as helpful, but I'd like to put in a plug for Deep Claw being an excellent "training" jumper vehicle due to it being pretty much a weaker-boost Twin Norrita with a better body. I've been doing pretty much all of my playtesting of custom tracks with it because it can be an okay slider as well. Just a fantastic machine overall.

Index » F-Zero X » F-ZERO X: Machine Tier List