F-Zero MV
F-Zero X
F-Zero GX
F-Zero SNES
F-Zero Climax F-Zero GP Legend F-Zero MV F-Zero X F-Zero GX F-Zero SNES
Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
MV Rules Resources Videos Ladder Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero MV » If you make a World Record post it here Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31
TBK
Janitor
Re: If you make a World Record post it here
Reply to this Post

^proper link

TBK
Janitor
Reply to this Post

Alright, here's my final WR in MV:

B3 - 1'27"92

17"98 - 17"50 - 17"53 - 17"47 - 17"44

Best splits: 17"90 - 17"42 - 17"42 - 17"42 - 17"38 = 1'27"54

My best laps are very close to being maxed out, the opener especially is pretty much godlike. The two 1-boost laps can maybe go down another 0"01-0"02 if you want to reach perfection there as well.

The run itself:

A solid opener, it's nice to have the sub 18 here as they aren't a given really. A tiny bit of wideness around the first corner otherwise no complaints.

The 2nd lap is my typical cornerstone lap, not great but by no means bad either.

The 3rd lap is where the run slides a little bit into mediocrity. Here it was definitely the 2nd corner where I reacted a bit too late and probably lost 0"02-0"03.

The 4th lap is just what this run needed, a great all-around lap to get the run back on track!

For the final lap I had to really show some nerves. It worked well until the very ending where I almost missed the dash plate! My thumb was already doing things I didn't want (see the accidental attempt to activate a boost) and I almost messed up the final turn as well. It was really tight there!

I don't think I can put together another run like this. I was contemplating whether to improve this down to a 1'27"8x but I just can't bring myself to play this track any longer now. I had just enough steam to get this very run. I remember when I got this WR back in 2012 and BPA took it back 2 days later with 1'28"19 I thought that track is forever done. At the time his run was 0"18 behind his own best splits (which were also the best overall) and that was really a frightening thought. That alone made me quit trying. Last year I got back to this course by chance after having played the Q3-JDT madness and something just clicked and I could Ben's time. If the game was different and the 1'28"10 would've been the sub already (if you know what I mean) I hadn't played this again but it's funny how just the numbers can motivate / fuck with you that way. At least the track got pushed even further now and hopefully Ben will have a hard time beating it. Smile Also this was my retirement WR if you will. I've probably said something like this before but this feels like the one. I can honestly say there is nothing more to prove or do in this game that would excite me. It was a long ride and it ends with this record Smile

(small shoutout to CGN for the video)

Yazzo
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

Sick time. GJ.

FSF Returns
Fire Stingray
Reply to this Post

Nice time there ! I added it to the spreadsheet Smile

Personal Best Times for F-Zero GX : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10y-xzaWhTRq93hugkCZJp8Zlcd0aZc7BQqNxV-3ZZAM/edit#gid=0
Mandalore
Jet Vermilion
Reply to this Post

Amazing to see how far the records are getting pushed now, especially with everything now on video. The B2 record is 8 years old! Is that a particularly strong one?

BPA
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

Hi Ben, good to hear from you. The short answer to your question is - maybe? Lol. The longer answer - and this is just from my, admittedly biased, perspective - is that when I set that time back then I didn't think it'd be the kind of record to still be standing 8 years on. It never struck me as a time stronger than any other in the game's history. I think part of it comes from some players not liking B2 - it's a GP-dependent track, and the only ice-dependent track, marking out two styles of play that could be considered more niche and/or unpopular, and rolling them into one. At the time of the record I was in a state where I really liked B2. Remember this was less than a year after my 16"97 flap, which I worked crazy hard for, so I already had a lot of track knowledge that I'm not sure others have built up to the same level since. I liked that the ice made you perform hangdrifts, and I was always on the lookout for mine patterns at this time, and I guess this run was a perfect storm of good mine laps and good opening laps. That the track doesn't have a strategic 'hook', like the K1 chicane CPU bump or the B1 mine manipulation, also makes it a harder track for players to get a grip on, I think. It's simply two good opening laps and the hope of a good mine pattern. It's worth noting how much time the ice can save you here, especially on those opening laps.

With all that said, I thought, and have for a very long time, that this record would actually be the first out of it and B1 to go sub 1'37. That B1 got the lucky break of such a pivotal breakthrough as the mine manipulation strat obviously put paid to B2 being the first to go under that specific sub, but I've always believed there was more time to come from this track as long as the work was put in. It's not even out the question that a similar strat as B1's couldn't be discovered on this track too, though I would hazard it'd be more of an ask to glean something as consistent and beneficial as what we have for B1. After I've worked on a few other tracks B2 is definitely one I'm keen to revisit. 

Damn, that was a long spiel for a succinct question. Sorry about that!

EDIT: Revisiting the splits again, the opener isn't even particularly good by modern standards - with a full speed Jimmy bump I can regularly get 22"7x openers. The second lap is admittedly ferocious (I can get that on TT once in a blue moon - more than likely this lap had a small bump somewhere) but it's not uncommon for a bumpless lap 2 to be in the 4x range if driven well enough. Lap 3 having a mine of course is the biggest saver, and the good pattern it spawned thereafter.

"Lucifer! Punish your enemies, oh lord of the night, destroy them all!"
   Index » F-Zero MV » If you make a World Record post it here Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31