Home Page
F-Zero Central Community Update (Jul.) Championships General Forum Players Photo Album
F-Zero Climax
F-Zero GP Legend
F-Zero MV
F-Zero X
F-Zero GX
F-Zero SNES
F-Zero Climax F-Zero GP Legend F-Zero MV F-Zero X F-Zero GX F-Zero SNES
Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
GX Rules Resources Videos Ladders Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero GX » New to everything F Zero, could someone clarify some things?
ajjo
Mr. EAD
New to everything F Zero, could someone clarify some things?
Reply to this Post

Are the in-game rankings for the machine's grip, boost, body, and the graphs in the garage relating to accel, max speed, etc accurate? I heard they weren't and from a few hours of play-testing I don't see them being very helpful.

I checked this out before I made an account here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/560617-f-zero-gx/64245515 how accurate is this information?

My biggest question is what does weight and body have to do with anything? When centering your gravity on a jump, which direction is better to use and when? I find myself smacking into walls quite frequently and either spinning out or having a hard time regaining control. When this happens, is it better to just brake/release entirely on everything or is there a trick here?

E_Dragon
Fire Stingray
Re: New to everything F Zero, could someone clarify some thi
Reply to this Post

First of all: The only accurate values are Weight and Body. Boost and Grip are just wrong and you should not care about them at all.

The Magic Seagull has a grip rating of E iirc despite it's grip being almost unbreakable while Black Bull has rating A while being slippery as hell.

Fat Shark has the best boost in the game rated with B, while Silver Rat has A boost with only 1000 kmh max speed ( compared to 1108 kmh with Fat Shark ) and only a ok boost.

Regarding stats, Yoshifan looked into actual values via RAM-watch: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/133Xsq-KV3lpfk9SS4_L84WV-JuXHOR8_GlFZRnskkSU/edit#gid=26

Those are 100% accurate and with explanations.

The optimal machine depends on many things such as:

- the track itself, for example is the Fat Shark extremely good in tracks with a lot of boostplates because it benefits the most of those

- the playstyle, you can play maxspeed, snaking or spaceflying. All of those use different vehicles.

- preference and player skill obviously

The info from the gamefaq is kinda wonky. For a casual perspective it might be right, but the best cars for maxspeed are simply Fat Shark, Black Bull, Gallant Star-G4 and Quick Star-G4.

Regarding the weight and body stat, you can look it up in the spreadsheet I linked, but generally:

weight gives you slower acceleration, but higher max speed better speed maintainance and less manueverable in the air.

body just determines how much energy you lose when you get damaged through anything.

Generally I recommend you to take a look at the Advanced Techniques guide: http://fzerocentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=463

and Naeglerias tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5UD8kOhQuv8fjXUpjDl2vSEHuqOOrBw_

So for jumping you want to hold up first, so you fall and gain a lot of speed. Just before you hit the ground you press down on the stick to tilt your machien up to get a good landing and to maintain most of the speed gained.

Regarding not hitting walls, you should learn how to Quickturn (short QT). With those you can quickly turn without losing much speed.

Another important technique you want to implement is momentum throttle, as with this one you will be able to maintain high speeds for much longer.

Those 2 techniques are the most important and most fundamential.

If you lose control, then one thing you can do is release accel and repressing it again quickly and you will regain grip immediately.

ajjo
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

Thank you for such a fast and concise response. After fiddling around with QTing I get why it is so useful, but a friend and I noticed something. If you hold the direction you want to go as well as the strafe direction, but you tap/throttle the opposite strafe you do this weird spammy turn but it's still very sharp, is this still QTing? Or are we doing it wrong? Oh and regarding the different playstyles, is there a reference for each? Max speed, snaking, and spaceflying?

Lastly, is there a go-to custom machine for max speed? I've tried going for max weight in custom parts and then I made the Heavy Phantom G4, and both do well but I see in a lot of speedruns people using different customs. Is there something I'm missing or is there an ideal machine that the game just won't tell me about?

E_Dragon
Fire Stingray
Reply to this Post

Yeah that is still a quickturn.

The basic idea of quickturning is that you break your grip with holding L+R and a direction on the stick leading into a strafe turn with only holding R+right or L+left.

What you described is just a strafe turn into a quickturn.

Generally it's not recommended to do too many strafe turns as you lose speed when strafing or turning and quickturns usually reduce the speedloss to a minimum, but it's fine to do them on places you have trouble with.

Also the speedloss depends on the vehicle you use. If you take the Fat Shark for example it loses a lot of speed through turning and strafing, making it a difficult machine to master.

Regarding the playstyles, there are 3 different ladders on this site: max speed, snaking and space flying (open):

You will see the difference by looking some vids on the WR page: http://www.fzerocentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=13710&sid=874f8f9a272ee14f96cb86b5bfb406a3

In space flying (open), you abuse a physics quirk to gain height, fly around and finish laps in seconds.

In snaking you still follow the track layout with max accel settings and chain quickturns togeter by pressing R+right and L+left reapidly after another to build up a lot of speed.

However doing this very excessively can cause wrist issues and thus is not as popular as max speed, where aside from a few exceptions only max speed settings are allowed making snaking and space flying almost impossible, but they are banned in this category.

When I started doing time attack in this game, I likeed the Gallant Cannon-G4 a lot ( Dread Hammer+Combat Cannon+Titan-G4 ), which is a good replacement for the Gallant Star-G4

The only difference is the cockpit Maximum Star, which is only obtainable with action replay or other kind hacking I didn't have, but they are both quite similar.

If the machine has too much grip for you, you might want to switch body parts, but the cockpit and booster are pretty much the best for max speed.

In speedruns you will also see the Quick Star-G4, which is a vehicle with extremely fast momentum turbo slides (MTS).

However this machine has very low grip and is very difficult to control, so it's generally not very recommended for beginners.

Btw. there is a F-zero Central discord where almost all the runners hang out and where you can ask anything you want, or just hang out: https://discordapp.com/invite/0SjuQvhyEztsO9Qg

The community is very friendly.

FSF Returns
Fire Stingray
Reply to this Post

In addition to the machine suggestions E-Dragon noted, here are a few of mines :

- Cosmic Cannon-G4 (Big Planet, Combat Cannon, Titan-G4) is a machine with low chance of slipping around. While it has a weak MTS, it's so steady that it won't slide around until you break the 2000 km/h barrier by pulling the stick left or right alone. It's steady on pipes, too (I've gotten the Fastest Lap World Record at some point on Port Town Cylinder Wave with this machine in fact, though it's now an European Record). Good tracks for it when you're a beginner are Port Town Cylinder Wave, Fire Field Cylinder Knot, and Green Plant Intersection, although you'll need to learn the pipe shift-boosts in this track to beat the better records on this track.

- Acro Cannon-G4 (Sky Horse, Combat Cannon, Titan-G4) is a jack of all-stat machine, having an usable MTS, good turning and reasonable weight to pull off some shortcuts without external boost help (Big Blue Ordeal's first shortcut for example). However, it is mostly used when you're starting out, so there are better machines out there. It's a good machine to use on Phantom Road Slim-line Slits, however.

- Photon Cannon-G4 (Optical Wing, Combat Cannon, Titan-G4) is used for tracks that benefits from good MTS, but isn't so good at MTS-chaining (at least I haven't tried). It's steady enough on openers and turns well, but be careful when you break the 1600 km/h barrier, as you'll start sliding around if you're not careful. And that'll happen rather often, considering Titan-G4's good boosting. Good places to use it are Aeropolis Screw Drive, Lightning Loop Cross and

- Twin Noritta (Not a custom machine) has the second most powerful boost in the game, behind Fat Shark, but it has a very fast acceleration, meaning it will lose speed quickly if you don't time your boosts properly, making it a good way to train your MT boosting. Because it's very light and can't MTS well, it performs better on tracks with lots of refiller to keep your boosting speed to a maximum. Don't let its low base speed (1017 km/h) deters you from trying it out : its boosting power makes it a terrifying non-custom on the right tracks. Good places to use this machine as MT boosting practice are Mute City Twist Road or Mute City Sonic Oval. As for actual Time Attack with this machine, Green Plant Spiral is a good place to set up times before you train with better machines. If you're using it, make sure to do small Quick-Turns whenever you're turning in lap 1 : this will also train you for Fat Shark, which requires this trick to minimize its speed loss when turning.

Alternatively for some custom machines, you can opt to replace Titan-G4 with the Triple-Z booster on pipe tracks to get better boosting speed. It can still work out on other tracks, but it's not as good as Titan-G4. Don't bother with Devilfish-RX / Thunderbolt-V2, as their low acceleration is too high of a tradeoff to be a better benefit than Titan-G4 (except maybe on Aeropolis Dragon Slope, which has lots of room to build up speed). I wouldn't recommend them at least for actual Time Attacking. I don't know if there are major differences between Combat Cannon and Garnet Phantom cockpits. Combat Cannon might be better when air strafing. Feel free to try those two cockpits.

Last, but not least : train the basics. I won't stress this enough. The basics are MT, MT boosting and Quick-Turning. Once you've gotten comfortable enough with those techniques, move on to MTSing. Once you're comfortable with MTSing, move on to another advanced technique, and so on. But the basics are paragon. Those will make your runs much more consistent than just learning a bit of every advanced techniques in one go.

Hope this helped Wink

Personal Best Times for F-Zero GX : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10y-xzaWhTRq93hugkCZJp8Zlcd0aZc7BQqNxV-3ZZAM/edit#gid=0
isamu
Golden Fox
Reply to this Post

Dumb question, but what does "MT" and "MTS" stand for? Why is it so important?

E_Dragon
Fire Stingray
Reply to this Post

MT is short for "momentum throttling" which is an advanced technique to maintain high speeds for a longer time. Basically your speedloss when holding accel increases with your speed, but if you release the accelerator your speedloss is constant and independent on speed. This means that at some point it is faster to just let go of accel to reduce speedloss. This trick makes it possible to constantly stay above 2000 kmh in Trindent for example as you can see in CGNs CTT maxspeed WR.

MTS is short for "momentum turbo slide" which is a sliding technique which shortly increases your speed by a lot depending on vehicles, but you lose a lot of speed when exiting depending on how well you exit it. For Quick Star G4 for example you can easily reach speeds above 2500 that way and it is actually so fast that it is faster to spam MTSes than just driving straight with this machine.

You can look up the advanced techniques here: http://fzerocentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=463

isamu
Golden Fox
Reply to this Post

Thank you E Dragon for your detailed answers it's appreciated my friend. If you don;t mind, I've started a new thread with some more questions:

http://fzerocentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=102310#102310

Index » F-Zero GX » New to everything F Zero, could someone clarify some things?