Home Page
F-Zero Central Community Update (Sep.) Championships General Forum Players Photo Album
F-Zero Climax
F-Zero GP Legend
F-Zero MV
F-Zero X
F-Zero GX
F-Zero SNES
F-Zero Climax F-Zero GP Legend F-Zero MV F-Zero X F-Zero GX F-Zero SNES
Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
GX Rules Resources Videos Ladders Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero GX » N00b questions galore! Want opinions from the experts
isamu
Golden Fox
N00b questions galore! Want opinions from the experts
Reply to this Post

Happy New Year Everyone it's good be back here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just started playing the game and I'm still very much a rookie, so please allow me to ask a few questions:

1)So far I've mainly just used Captain Falcon when playing the game. I've completed the Grand Prix several times and now I've accumilated around 250 tickets more or less. My goal is to build a machine that is both enjoyable to drive and is superior to Captain Falcon's. My main question is, how many tickets will I need in order to buy enough machine parts to build such a superior machine? 500? 1000? 2000?

2)What kind of machine should I be striving to build that allows me to  tackle corners wth a  bit more grip while maintaining speed?

3)What is *YOUR* personal favorite machine to drive in Grand Prix mode and how many tickets did you have to spend in order to build it?

4)Do you feel Captain Falcon already drives a top tier machine? Where does his hovercraft rank compared to what can be built with the right parts?

5)Lastly, and how do you personally play this game? Do you play with a controller or with a steering wheel? If with a wheel, what degrees of rotation do you have it set to? 180? 270? 360? Furthermore, what view do you use? Third person behind the ship or first person view?

For me personally, I use a force feedback wheel from Leo Bodnar SimSteering inc. It's a very strong industrial grade wheel designed with real life professional Formula 1 and GT drivers in mind, and is not generally sold to the consumer. It has around 26Nm of raw torque and in F-Zero GX you feel it! This games plays very well with a steering wheel and hats off to Sega for coding the FFB so good! If you're not careful you can literally suffer a snapped wrist or pulled shoulder socket if you turn the forces up to high on this wheel while playing this game!

As for the view, well I know I'm in the minority but I prefer to race in first person view. How much of a disadvantage do you feel I'm at while using first person view? Do you feel it is essential to play from chase camara view in order to succeed in this game? I can make my way around the tracks just fine but performing attacks against the other ships is a different story. Because of the limited view it seems it's not very effective to perform spin or side attacks. Looks like I'm gonna need a lot of practice if I want to become proficient at executing attacks in first person view.

FSF Returns
Fire Stingray
Re: N00b questions galore! Want opinions from the experts
Reply to this Post

1) If we're talking about custom parts, I think you've got enough to build quite a few machines. I'd say at least 8 different machines with differents parts. But if we talk about other non-custom machines, you can try out Deep Claw, which is somewhat similar to Blue Falcon, but with higher grip and slightly higher booster. Just slightly.

2) I've seen you commenting on another thread that made mentions of Quick-Turning, so I'm assuming you're gonna try to go with that. One body part that I'd recommend when starting out is the Sky Horse, coupled with the highest ranked cockpit part you have available (Super Lynx or Combat Cannon for example), as well as a B-rated booster like Titan-G4, Meteor-RR, or the A-booster Triple-Z. If you don't mind very low acceleration, Thunderbolt-V2 and Devilfish-RX are available for you, as well.

3) It's been a while since I played Grand Prix mode. But I think I went with Space Angler last time (a light but slow machine with weird strafing ability). If not, then Deep Claw or Hyper Speeder.

4) If we take away custom machines, Blue Falcon does pretty well, surprisingly. It may be a starting machine, but it can do most of the advanced techniques with decent results (at one point, it had the non-custom World Record on Cosmo Terminal Trident). This spreadsheet has all the non-custom machines's times registered, to give you a small idea of how these machines are played at very high level : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17DqpOEgzh0RqSKZ-5q5kanhI3uRhQ6w0xo4GTJO5cQI/edit#gid=0

But Blue Falcon pales when you compare it to most custom machines.

5) I'm playing using a controller, but because my control stick is broken, I need to use the D-Pad instead... And I've been playing this game for quite a few years with this setting, and I got so used to this configuration that I can't go back. XD Also I go with the third person view (there are 3 third person views : default, 1 rank further behind, and furthest camera setting. I'm going with only 1 rank behind, and so does most players, as it gives a better view of what's happening around while not taking away the "wow i'm going so fast" feel.) The only problem with first person view is that without much information on your surroundings, you might take corners too tight. But it's like me when using the D-Pad : if it works for you, keep on going !

I know F-Zero AX Arcade Cabinets have a steering wheel, and in the GX manual there is a mention of the steering wheel option, but that's the first time I've heard of anyone playing regular GX with an actual steering wheel.

Personal Best Times for F-Zero GX : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10y-xzaWhTRq93hugkCZJp8Zlcd0aZc7BQqNxV-3ZZAM/edit#gid=0
AKC12
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

1) It doesn't take that many at all. The price for one part goes up to 15 tickets I believe. You definitely want the Titan G4 or Triple Z boosters, an A rated cock pit. Then the body you choose comes down to preference. Also unless you don't mind snaking, set your machine to 100% max speed or close to it.

2) I would recommend the using Giant Plant or Valiant Jaguar body assuming you know how to quick turn. Though because you are using a steering wheel, which makes the game much harder, I would also try using either Optical Wing or Funny Swallow. Although they don't have the most amount of grip, those machines steer well without quick turns

3) Really don't have a favorite. Original machines cost up to 25 tickets.

4) He does not. Looking at its stats alone, it's a slightly above average machine, but much slower compared to Fat Shark and custom machines with the Titan G4 or A rated boosters. But it can use advanced techniques pretty well which is something that can't be said for most original machines.

5) First party gamecube controller. The middle third person view.

Well I certainly think there is some disadvantage if you are trying to set fast times in time attack. But it isn't so much of a disadvantage when your goal is to beat the game.

All of my GX times with various machines: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12c92zTykQvGwPoCU6yGuOb7lwxFENUC9ELbHZcse1qE/
isamu
Golden Fox
Reply to this Post

Much appreciated gentlemen. Will certainly take your feedback into consideration. 

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

don't use Space Angler. that machine is crap. it will make you angry at the game. there's over 30 standard machines better than it.

"Patience is useful in any moment"
   Index » F-Zero GX » N00b questions galore! Want opinions from the experts