Home Page
F-Zero Central Community Update (Jul.) Championships General Forum Players Photo Album
F-Zero Climax
F-Zero GP Legend
F-Zero MV
F-Zero X
F-Zero GX
F-Zero SNES
F-Zero Climax F-Zero GP Legend F-Zero MV F-Zero X F-Zero GX F-Zero SNES
Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
Latest Times Your Latest Times Your Ranking Summary
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » FZC General Forum » Is being an F-Zero racer financially feasible?
LactoseLad
Mr. EAD
Is being an F-Zero racer financially feasible?
Reply to this Post

I began pondering this the other day. There seems to be little information on the financial stability of an F-Zero racer (maybe it's too depressing). Those machines must be expensive, not to mention the maintenence, petrol, paying the wages of an entire team + the racer.

On top of this, only the winner of the GP receives space credits (2 billion, going by GX), while the other 29 racers get nothing. How are these 29 racers (and their teams) supporting themselves? Even the winner may have financial difficulties, covering the cost of the machine + crew for past years where they lost the GP. And what about taxation? How much of the winnings is lost to taxes? What about the cost of life + car insurance? They must be sky-high for an F-Zero racer. Also, how often are the GPs held? Annually? I don't know exactly how far 2 billion space credits goes, but is it really enough to support the entire team of a racer for 1 year (after taxes)? Surely the only way to be financially successful in F-Zero is to be consistently winning, but it seems inconsistent by nature- it's way too volatile (you can die 5 seconds into the first race, or make 1 unlucky bonk at the end of lap 3 and drop 15 places).

So where is the money coming from? Are the teams sponsored? There is nothing in the game to suggest that any of the racers are sponsored (no logos on the machines or around the track, or shoutouts in the interviews), but even so, certain racers don't seem advertiser-friendly. Who would want to sponsor Deathborn? Would you continue to drink Coke if they sponsored a man whose goal was literally to destroy the universe (which he's very open about)? I can only assume that the racers are sinking their own money into F-Zero, but even this has problems. Am I supposed to believe a 10 year old boy can support himself as an F-Zero racer? Does he even have his provisional license? What about a monkey? Or a skeleton? Or the 2 weird brown dudes? Where are these guys getting money from?

I don't watch the cartoon, or read the manga, and I've only played GX, but is there any mention of taxation laws and life/car insurance anywhere in the series? Or any character having financial difficulties in general? I would love to know.

E_Dragon
Fire Stingray
Re: Is being an F-Zero racer financially feasible?
Reply to this Post

You should watch the anime if you haven't.

There seem to be races weekly if not even almost every day and the price money should be quite a lot considering that dark million participates to finance themselves.

The GP seems to be an annual event, with probably a stupidly high price money.

Also almost all of the pilots have a profession or are probably rich already.

Alexis
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

Yeah watch the anime, weenie.

Sam-well
Blue Falcon
Reply to this Post

Thought this thread would be about real life. Better focus on a popular e-sport game in that case. This game is way too niche.

But who would want to anyway? Pro gaming scene looks very harsh and unforgiving.

uhd
Blood Hawk
Reply to this Post

I'm glad someone finally asked this.

Firstly we must assume that all the racers are paid for their results. The example you mentioned from F-zero GX I believe was a special race put on for gambling purposes and not indicative of the general grand prix calendar.

We don't know that much about the economy of the 27th century in which the series is set, but the world(s) are extremely wealthy with centuries of technological advance leading to huge and possibly limitless economic growth. F-zero may take place in a 'post-scarcity economy', that is: technology has allowed resources to become essentially limitless and wealth nearly infinite. Therefore the issue of paying for the machines may be academic. When we look at the cities of this world, we can see virtually limitless industry and scope, which gives me this view.

The racers, I believe race purely for the adrenaline and gain their seats on the circuit purely based on talent.

F-zero MV World Champion
1863-2217
   Index » FZC General Forum » Is being an F-Zero racer financially feasible?