F-Zero MV
F-Zero X
F-Zero GX
F-Zero SNES
F-Zero Climax F-Zero GP Legend F-Zero MV F-Zero X F-Zero GX F-Zero SNES
Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
GX Rules Resources Videos Ladders Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero GX » Proposition for new "Glitchless" Speedrun Category Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Should a "Glitchless" Speed Run Category be Created?
Yes
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
No
63%
 63%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 11

thevorace
Blue Falcon
Re: Proposition for new "Glitchless" Speedrun Cate
Reply to this Post

It's not that I am unable to perform these techniques or that I want to make a category for noobs. This is just supposed to be another fun way to run gx.

Chemich
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

delete pls

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

i think Quick Turn should be counted as a tech and not be allowed. it isn't in the manual and is not intended by the devs. some machines get way too good wth it (Fat Shark with QT alone destroys 90% of the other machines and i don't think teh devs balanced that machine with QT in mind)

"Patience is useful in any moment"
AKC12
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

Not intended? Do you really think that? I don't see how quick turning can be not intended when going from a drift to a slide turn doesn't make the machine to a regular slide turn. Whoever did the Meteor Stream staff ghost knew how to snake. Even the AI does quick turning, or a modified version of it, since machines like Red Gazelle, Mad Wolf and even Black Bull gains speed whenever they end up performing a quick turn (With Black Bull, at lower speeds he doesn't most of the time, but when boosting, once the machine loses grip, the BB AI starts gaining speed on corners).

And then there's the advertisement that says something like "Racing at over 2100+ kmh." Unless you use Fat Shark at Split Oval or perform shift boosts, that's only somewhat feasible with snaking. Of course that's really only a guess.

All of my GX times with various machines: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12c92zTykQvGwPoCU6yGuOb7lwxFENUC9ELbHZcse1qE/
Expelsword
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

Forgive me, I don't post a lot here, but I feel I can't stay silent on this one...

First of all, your proposed glitchless category bans things that are not glitches

- No Snaking (Even though some computers use this)

You admit yourself that this is not a glitch, why would you ban it?

- No Side Attacks (Unless you're doing Grand Prix, in which case, no Mid Air Side Attacks and no Side attacking with machines that gain speed from side attacks such as gallant star)

Are you serious? Side attacks are in no way a glitch. Sure, they do give you an "advantage" of sorts by using them, but those who don't want to use them don't have to, and in fact, do not.

- No Shift Boosts

- Hidden Shift Boosts are still fair game, such as on Fire Field Cylinder Knot and Lightning Half Pipe

First of all, this "rule" makes no sense, and secondly, Shift Boosts are evidently not a glitch.

- Max Speed Only

????

This so called "category" arbitrarily slows the game down for no real reason, and at the end of the day, is just an excuse to be bad at the game.

In my opinion, something like this has no real place at F-Zero Central as a category; even if it was consistent in its rules, what's the point? To slow down a TAS? Ridiculous.

thevorace
Blue Falcon
Reply to this Post

Well, it's been over 2 years now, and I looking back I realize why my idea was flawed and why our attempts at communication seemed fruitless. By far the largest error and source of confusion was a mistake on my part: I named the category "Glitchless." Despite using quotes, being called glitchless is enough to HEAVILY imply if not outright conclude that the category exclusively bans glitches. This is why I, despite never explicitly stating that the rules targeted glitches, was accused of having said this several times. At the time it puzzled me and I couldn't understand why everyone was so focused on whether or not tech were glitches, but now I feel like an idiot for not seeing the blatantly obvious. What I should have done instead of naming it glitchless would be to leave it unnamed and clarify that the point of the category is to play the game with the restriction of unintended mechanics/tech/interactions/whathaveyou.

Ultimately, the max speed category exists because many people prefer not to snake and/or because they enjoy having another way to experience the greatest racing game of all time. Others choose not to side attack out of personal preference, although the difference is not big enough to merit its own category. (In both situations, the exploit is more effective the faster you mash, up to every input frame. In this regard, edge shift boosting is, in theory, identical. This category was meant to follow the same logic) With this in mind, I should have realized that there was no chance "the proposed category in question" (for fear of saying "glitchless" or the malevolent "my category") would ever become accepted. Once again, I acknowledge my foolishness.

Now, Vallkyr, the reason I said, "With regards to broken down finishes, there can be no exceptions. When you mentioned accidentally breaking down but finishing, that run would simply die. Tough Luck," is because I was responding specifically to AKC12's assumption that I would allow exceptions: "And again, especially with newer players, they can do a broken down finish by accident, which most of the time would cost their run time instead of saving time. Would you disqualify a run just because of that? Oh but you'll make an exception then? Rules in this environment can't have exceptions," not because I am some sort of egotistical maniac.

So, having reviewed my initial proposal, (albeit a tad tardy) I can see that AKC12 is right about shift boosting, and that it is basically impossible to create a category that mediates them. At the time I thought that the distinction between hidden shift boosts and ledge shift boosts was well enough defined, and while I still think that it is possible, I understand why such a specific restriction can be a little bit too difficult to enforce. Next up, if the max speed category is lenient enough as to allow side attacks and people still opt out of using them, I see no reason why "the proposed category in question" should be more stringent.

With all of these things in mind, this category's rules would be identical to max speed aside from momentum throttling, mometum turbo sliding and by extension momentum turbo rail sliding being banned. What do you guys think? Another possibility would be to omit the max speed stipulation and instead add "no snaking," but I imagine that ambiguity would invite a whole host of other problems.

In response to what AKC12 said: "If you aren't aware, some of the posters who have replied are just not some nobodies who are not very knowledgble or doesn't have much experience with the game," and "This will sound forceful, but if you want our support, there is every reason you should seriously consider our input." I am well aware who all of you are. I have nothing but the utmost respect for you all and your accomplishments, skill, and what you have done for the community. I really do appreciate everyone actually bothering to discuss these things with me. I may have never been active with the community, but I've followed it for years and I honestly see some of you like celebrities, so when you all responded I was actually somewhat starstruck believe it or not. I just make a point of treating everyone the same regardless of standing. Lastly, I was always seriously considering everyone's input. The only reason it may have seemed that I was being stubborn was because I knew there was some sort of communication error. Turns out it was mostly my fault, but regardless, I was right about it being a misunderstanding. By the way, happy belated birthday to everyone times 2 and potentially 3 depending on your birthday.

Index » F-Zero GX » Proposition for new "Glitchless" Speedrun Category Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3