F-Zero MV
F-Zero X
F-Zero GX
F-Zero SNES
F-Zero Climax F-Zero GP Legend F-Zero MV F-Zero X F-Zero GX F-Zero SNES
Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
GX Rules Resources Videos Ladders Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero GX » Post your questions and ask for advice here!
AKC12
Black Bull
Post your questions and ask for advice here!
Reply to this Post

Whether you are wanting to get a better time in a particular track but struggling, need a machine recommendation, or just have a question about this game in general, ask it here and I and probably other players will be glad to answer them for you.

If you haven't yet, check out the guides section in the GX Ultimate Compendium which may contain answers to your questions

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AvP5s5nGBAx5gSBZ0hUhnGKcMVUB

All of my GX times with various machines: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12c92zTykQvGwPoCU6yGuOb7lwxFENUC9ELbHZcse1qE/
Evil_Superstar
Blue Falcon
Re: Post your questions and ask for advice here!
Reply to this Post

This may be a dumb question, but why is the max speed ladder 100% max speed only? Engine settings in X's jumper category can be adjusted.

I was using a turbo slide (regular not momentum) on the icy part of Green Plant Spiral and noticed a speed increase and consequent drop off when exiting, similar to MTS described on the advanced techniques page. So it seems sliding causes speed increase, even with a ship's setting towards the max speed end of the spectrum. In that sense, the physics seem to be different from X, in which to my knowledge, sliding is only useful using the two E grip ships with settings all the way or near max acceleration.

AKC12
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

I took some time to try to find the thread that discussed what the rules of the non snaking ladder should be from the archived pages. Unfortunately I don't think it was archived. I definitely remember there being a thread that I now wished I involved myself more because I now don't think 100% should be the only setting allowed for max speed.

It looks like the max speed, open and story mode ladders rules were put into place late October/ early November of 2004. As for why 100% was only allowed, I believe the main reason was to minimize the effectiveness of snaking and spaceflying since the max speed ladder was meant to not allow snaking. And I'm speculating here, but perhaps it was assumed that 100% settings was always going to be the best setting for non snaking play anyways, which is most likely not true.

The physics in GX are completely different. The letter grades in GX are not a good indicator on whether a machine can MTS well or gain speed when doing a drift. With regards to ice physics, stick turning without holding any of the shoulder buttons usually makes most machines gain speed during the drift, even at 100% settings, but when exiting it usually they exit with a much lower speed.

The speed gained from drifting is more prominant at lower settings, but certain custom machines, most notably customs with the Speedy Dragon body part, still can take great advantage of drifting at 100%.

All of my GX times with various machines: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12c92zTykQvGwPoCU6yGuOb7lwxFENUC9ELbHZcse1qE/
Evil_Superstar
Blue Falcon
Reply to this Post
AKC12 wrote:

As for why 100% was only allowed, I believe the main reason was to minimize the effectiveness of snaking and spaceflying since the max speed ladder was meant to not allow snaking. And I'm speculating here, but perhaps it was assumed that 100% settings was always going to be the best setting for non snaking play anyways, which is most likely not true.

Was thinking along that line. As I understand, records need to be backed with video proof, so you could just tell if the person was snaking or spaceflying. But that wouldn't rule out the rest of the times in the ladder.

GX's physics seem a lot more complex, also with all those custom ships. For the record, I ran Green Plant Spiral with Acro-Cannon-G4. I was beating the staff ghosts in time attack and 100% max speed often didn't get me the fastest time. Mind you I'm on a schmuck level.

Thanks for the clarification.

Pumaface
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

Should I use a 3rd party controller for F-zero GX? I don't have much money.

AKC12
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

I strongly recommend against that. I would see if there is a used 1st party controller out there before considering buying a 3rd party controller. I'm not sure what is the best 3rd party controller if you have to get one. But I know that you should avoid MadCatz controllers.

Valyssa
Wild Goose
Reply to this Post

Adding onto what AKC said, it depends how much you're gonna play. If you just wanna play casually every now and then, a 3rd party might be okay. But if you really wanna get into it, 1st party is a very worthwhile investment. A good GC controller will easily last you years. I'm still using mine from near launch. Even if it is a higher initial cost, it means you won't have to replace it in just a few years, so keep that in mind making the decision

THE GOOSE IS LOOSE
   Index » F-Zero GX » Post your questions and ask for advice here!