X Rules Resources Videos Ladders Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero X » Hello - New member here
DSJ
Dragon Bird
Hello - New member here
Reply to this Post

Hi everyone!

My name is Dan and I've been a long-time fan of F-zero X - it's my favourite ever game and I've been playing it again recently. I remember coming onto this forum a longgg time ago, (how long has it been going?!) but never signed up, just lurked. Was pleasently surprised / amazed to see people are still paying this game and World Record's were set as recently as 2015.

I remember playing this game when it came out and photographing some of my times and sending them into Nintendo Official (?) magazine, where I got into print a few times. This was before 'Slider' techniques were even known (!?), as I remember over the months some big sudden jumps in best times occuring as individuals figured out what the staff ghosts were doing and copied them.

I guess the community is pretty small for this game, but I'm always hopeful that one day I'll be able to race with someone who is as good as me. I'm in the North East of England, so if anyone is nearby shout and maybe we can play one day! Even after picking up the game after a 5 year break the Master cups were all a breeze and I've never had a good race on this game, being so much better than any of my friends! I'm at the level where I beat the Staff Ghost times with basic techniques, but struggling to master (aren't we all!) DTD's etc.

Seeing some of the techniques and world records set is constantly amazing, the amount of effort put in and skill level is just mind-boggling. Big shout out to WMJ and the highly enjoyable AGDQ speenrun video. I missed it at the time, but discovered it a week ago. There's still life in this game I hope, so pleased to see this forum is still going and not dead! Keep it all up!

Sam-well
Blue Falcon
Re: Hello - New member here
Reply to this Post

Hey DSJ,

been lurking around here for years like you have. The community surrounding this game seems pretty small but hardcore. It's cool how they kept this game alive and took it to a whole new level.

I bought F-Zero X on release and loved it ever since. Greatest racing game I ever played.

With those advanced techniques and custom tracks there's lots to explore and master.

Happy racing!

ps. Lots of videos by really good players on youtube (WMJ, Uchiha Madao, Philippe Brodier), including some crazy TAS runs.

DSJ
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

Hi Evil_Superstar,

thanks for replying, yes I enjoy watching the vids on youtube, always seems to be more crazy tracks to watch! A couple of the WR even look plausible to match (I'm thinking Big Hand / Foot!)

I'm guessing you aren't in the UK as you would have mentioned?! I've never even played the Expansion Kit sadly. Maybe I should reach out to the community?!, do you know anyone in the UK who has it?!

Best,

DSJ

Evil_Superstar wrote:

Hey DSJ,

been lurking around here for years like you have. The community surrounding this game seems pretty small but hardcore. It's cool how they kept this game alive and took it to a whole new level.

I bought F-Zero X on release and loved it ever since. Greatest racing game I ever played.

With those advanced techniques and custom tracks there's lots to explore and master.

Happy racing!

ps. Lots of videos by really good players on youtube (WMJ, Uchiha Madao, Philippe Brodier), including some crazy TAS runs.

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

good to see new people still discovering the series despite no new games.

"Patience is useful in any moment"
Sam-well
Blue Falcon
Reply to this Post

WMJ has a 64DD + Expansion Kit for sale in the other thread, but taking offers until today jan 1st only (which ends about now). Don't think you'll find a better deal.

Alternatively you can play it through emulation. Search for 64DD dumps. Not sure if you can save in-game progress that way. Best get a mayflash N64 controller adapter then. Or use an an Everdrive to play on original hardware.

There's roms with custom tracks too. Patched in with the F-Zero Execution Project (PC software to make tracks) as I understand it.

Daniel
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

Hello there, dan, my name is also dan, welcome to the f-zero community.

It is really nice to see you enjoying this game nowadays like some other people do here, I also still play this game and it is a lot of fun!! I am currently still uploading some records here and there.

If you need help for time attack, just ask me about strats, since I am a professional F-Zero X player.

I really want to make this game great again, by participating on AGDQ and play with/against WMJ, we even have a meeting this january, where we stream F-Zero X. If you enjoyed the AGDQ stream, then this one won't dissapoint you either.

Keep racing! Very Happy

"Daniel is unholy - i swear to god" - BPA
"Rade - Power Rade" - FunStyle
"Daniel is NOT human" - DeltaBlast54
"Danmode - Beating WRs months before they were set" - FunStyle
DSJ
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

Hi Dan!

Thanks for the message. I'm currently thinking about getting a CRT again to help my progress. The lag on my TV is too bad! Some of your world records are ridiculous, but learning a few new things by watching videos. For example, I never realised you could do the 'loop jump' on Sector Beta - I'd probably got enough speed from a DTD. Not sure how much time that'll save, but it looks like a significant chunk.

The January stream sounds great! Where and when do you meet? Where is this information normally advertised? On this forum somewhere?

I hope to keep in touch,

Best,

Dan

Sam-well
Blue Falcon
Reply to this Post

@Daniel Cool, if you could provide a link to the video, that'd be great. Always nice to watch you guys do a run. Don't think there was an F-Zero run at AGDQ this year, but would be great to see it return.

WMJ
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

Videos of the multiplayer we did are up on the F-Zero Central youtube channel
Staff ghost race

DSJ
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

Nice! Thanks a lot!

kaSparta
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

Hello, I'm a new member here too and thought I'd introduce myself. I'm a big fan of the N64 and the F-Zero series. The N64 was the most exciting launch for a console I've ever experienced and I'm old enough to remember when the NES came out. I also remember seeing F-Zero X for the first time in a Toys R Us. I also think it's really cool that people are now able to mod N64 games whether it be F-Zero or SM64. People are bringing new life to these great games and that's one of the reasons I'm here. I'm currently working on a texture pack and I hope when it's finished I'll be able to share it with anyone who's interested. Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and say that I'm here to learn so that I can make something that I hope others can enjoy.

Index » F-Zero X » Hello - New member here