F-Zero MV
F-Zero X
F-Zero GX
F-Zero SNES
F-Zero Climax F-Zero GP Legend F-Zero MV F-Zero X F-Zero GX F-Zero SNES
Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
GX Rules Resources Videos Ladders Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero GX » AR/Gecko code to alter music playback speed?
NM64
Blue Falcon
AR/Gecko code to alter music playback speed?
Reply to this Post

I've been using Dolphin to play GX (in non-ladder play mind you) at the likes of anywhere from 200% speed to 50% speed.

However, in any semi-recent version of Dolphin, the gameplay audio is tied to the gamespeed, so a faster/slower running game will also result in the audio being sped up or slowed down accordingly.

Luckily, there's a gecko code that can be used to alter the speed of the sound effects which can be utilized to cancel out the sped-up/slowed-down sound effects that you'd normally get when Dolphin is running the game at any speed other than 100% (note that doing this requires having time-stretching audio disabled).

SFX speed [CosmoCortney]
041295E0 XXX00000
04129770 XXX00000
041297A0 XXX00000
041297D0 XXX00000

XXX = 3F8 = normal speed
XXX = 3F0 = very slowly (very funny sounding announcer :'D )
XXX = 3F4 = Slowly
XXX = 3FC = Fast
XXX = 400 = very fast (announcer sounds like a chipmunk)

....but this only changes the sound effects alone and not the music.  Therefore I was wondering if there was any such code that could similarly alter the music playback speed?

And as someone with much audio waveform-editing experience, it's true that such a solution could be rigged up by exporting the music to PCM WAV and simply changing the playback sample rate (e.g. the "Set Rate" option in Audacity) and then re-converting back to GX's native music format and re-package the ISO, but not only would that be a bit tedious and would require going through the entire process for each different gameplay speed, but I don't even know if it's currently possible to convert audio into GX's native music format.

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Re: AR/Gecko code to alter music playback speed?
Reply to this Post

the method you described is pretty much what i did when i altered music speeds for my music replacements final lap versions.

the music is files that the game plays back when they play. you can't edit that with codes.

"Patience is useful in any moment"
NM64
Blue Falcon
Re: AR/Gecko code to alter music playback speed?
Reply to this Post

Looking at various geckocodes, I noticed there were speed modifier codes, but they seem to only be able to make players faster and is only available for players 2-4 and not player 1 as well.

Basically I was thinking that being able to slow all 4 players down to whatever ~50% speed would be could also work and could even work on real hardware and would additionally have the benefit of continuing to run the game at 60fps rather than 30fps and keep all audio running at their native speeds.

I don't suppose you'd know if there's any way to go about doing that, would you?

Uchiha Madao wrote:

the method you described is pretty much what i did when i altered music speeds for my music replacements final lap versions.

the music is files that the game plays back when they play. you can't edit that with codes.

Oh, so converting music back into F-Zero GX's native format is in fact possible?  Would it be rude of me to ask if you could point me into the right direction on how/where/what piece of software you used to achieve this? (I already know how to extract and convert to LPCM WAV and how to replace files in a .GCM, it's just the convertion process [i]to[/i] GX's music format I don't know about).

Index » F-Zero GX » AR/Gecko code to alter music playback speed?