Home Page
F-Zero Central Community Update (Oct.) Championships General Forum Players Photo Album
F-Zero Climax
F-Zero GP Legend
F-Zero MV
F-Zero X
F-Zero GX
F-Zero SNES
F-Zero Climax F-Zero GP Legend F-Zero MV F-Zero X F-Zero GX F-Zero SNES
Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
GX Rules Resources Videos Ladders Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero GX » Hidden stats of GX machines Goto page Previous  1, 2
XaikuTheMaverickHunter
Golden Fox
Re: Hidden stats of GX machines
Reply to this Post
Razzi wrote:
XaikuTheMaverickHunter wrote:

Okay, I know this topic seems to be pretty much dead, but with your chart written out, here comes the million-dollar question; how do these stats translate into actual "Grade" (A, B, C, D, E) and "Graph" stats (seen in the Garage mode under certain circumstances)? Is there some kind of special conversion formula, or perhaps, a set of formulas? Yes... this IS a huge headache waiting to happen, but the question was bound to come up sooner or later.

They don't. The stats were pilfered from F-Zero X and unchanged even though the game has a completely new physics engine and the vehicles were all redone. The Astro Robin has a D in boost but actually has the 9th strongest booster in the game; the Silver Rat has an A in boost despite having one of the WORST boosters out of all of the machines. The Black Bull has a A in grip yet is infamous for its extremely slippery handling and complete lack of traction. Bottom line: the stats are worthless. Just pick a machine and figure out how it drives through on-track experience, they're way too complex to boil down to three simple letter grades anyway.

However, the little graph that you see when you make a custom machine is actually pretty accurate, because the game forms that graph from the raw physics variables of that particular custom machine.

The reason I asked that question was so we could find out just how inaccurate the stats became with the new engine.

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

what we should get around doing is a special FAQ that lists each machine's real stats. learning by trial and error can waste time for those that don't want to guess how each car actually plays.

"Patience is useful in any moment"
Razzi
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

Okay with some more testing on Dolphin I think I have a better understanding of Turn Tension. It interacts with Turn Movement and they determine the handling of a machine along with other stats like Grip.

Tension seems to determine how much a machine "digs in" while turning. High tension means that once you start turning, the machine's turning radius does not tighten further very quickly and at low values it basically doesn't tighten at all. Low tension means the radius gets tighter the more you hold the stick. Turn Movement is just a representation of the starting turning radius, as far as I can tell, with Tension determing how this radius changes as you keep holding the stick. Weight has a factor in this, hence why the Fat Shark has the turning radius of a lead brick until it starts drifting.

Yoshifan, you mentioned in the Turn Movement section that the stat is a little wierd. I think it's because Tension was throwing you off. For instance, the Gallant Star has the highest Movement, but it's extremely high Tension and Weight result in the steering being somewhat "dead" and wide. I think it's odd QT, where it doesn't drift as much as violently oversteer for a second and then return to normal, might be from this--it tries to drift with it's sharp Movement, but then the high Tension kicks in and forces it back to flying straight. This will need more testing though.

AKC12
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

Here are my findings of the "Grip" stats and Turn Tension

Grip 1: This one's the simplest. It determines how strong the machine's grip is. The higher this is, the more difficult it is to get into a drift with stick steering.

Grip 3: Simply put, it's the machine's slipperiness once it's in drift state. A machine can have a high Grip 1 but still be the slipperiest thing around, sort of like Black Bull. This impacts MTSing viability the most. The lower it is, the more slippery the machine. Grip 3 also seens to determine drift turn radius. Low value = Wide turn radius, or more "outward" drifting

High value = Smaller turn radius, or in otherwards more "inward" drifting

Grip 2: This one is hard to describe and not so straightforward. Here's what I observed

1) High values=Quick turns are less responsive. Your speed accelerates very slowly during a MTS. You regain grip very easily

2) Low Values=More responsive quick turns. Seemingly faster MTS acceleration. Much more difficult to regain grip without strafing

3) At high values, a drift doesn't make your machine turn that much. At low values, a drift will make your machine turn quite sharply.

4) At super low values, it is as if your machine is skidding on ice. It will continue to drift if you let go of your stick until it hits something. Perhaps this is the stat that is mainly affected when you're on ice?

5) It slightly affects MTS top speed only if set to higher values. If set to a high value, the top speed decreases a fair amount. But the MTS turn radius is much wider

Another thing I observed is that it seems the lower this value is, the more slowly it stops drifting if you do a drift by stick steering and revert the stick back to neutral. So imagine you are in a 45 degree angle drift. At normal or high values, once you let go of the control stick, the machine revents to 0 degrees at a normal/fast speed. But at low values, it takes its time doing that. So the drift lasts longer and it a lot harder to deal with.

Soooo, grip 2 seems to be a number of things. I'll try to summarize. It determines

1) Drift/MTS Speed Acceleration (Impacting drift/quick turning responsiveness and MTS speed accel and turn radius)

2) Ability to regain grip and how quickly it does that (How quickly the machine "snaps back" to normal from a drift)

Turn Tension: This can have a big impact on how easy or difficult it is to lose grip with stick steering. When I upped this value on Quick Star, because it already had very low turn reaction, it was nearly impossible to break its grip without holding L+R. Upping turn tension makes MTS chaining worse too since it becomes harder to lose grip and maintain a drift state.

It can also impact quick turning quite a lot. I thought that lowering it would make quick turns be more sharper since lowering it makes your machine steer all the way more quickly. But it turns out not to be the case with Gallant Star. Instead, during the drift turn, it feels like the machine is still drifting in a different way compared to holding L and R. That drift effect makes it turn less sharply. It's similar to how Wild Boar produces red sparks in its quick turns. That machine also has a very low turn tension stat. Upping Wild Boar's strafe would make the red sparks go away, but it still feels "drifty" when you quick turn with it.

All of my GX times with various machines: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12c92zTykQvGwPoCU6yGuOb7lwxFENUC9ELbHZcse1qE/
AKC12
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

So about the 0x48 stat. This is still an early observation, but it seems the higher this value is, the more difficult it is to MTS chain. Using the cheat engine, I've tried two custom machines with the same stats except for 0x48. One was set to 2 from the Maximum Star cockpit, the other 8 from the Windy Shark part. The difference was day and night. The one with the Windy Shark cockpit seems to rotate the machine much more quickly and it pretty much always regains grip if I do 3 side attacks, whereas I can chain just like Black Bull with the Maximum Star cockpit.

Quick turning might feel a bit different like Yoshifan stated but it's hard to tell with the standard values.

All of my GX times with various machines: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12c92zTykQvGwPoCU6yGuOb7lwxFENUC9ELbHZcse1qE/
GSFMobileTaskForce
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

Ive seen cosmocourtney before is the person still fzero active in cheats?

Index » F-Zero GX » Hidden stats of GX machines Goto page Previous  1, 2