Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
GX Rules Resources Videos Ladders Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero GX » I corrupted my GC memory card on a hacked Wii
Sam-well
Blue Falcon
I corrupted my GC memory card on a hacked Wii
Reply to this Post

...using Nintendont. So word of warning. As far as I know the GX game file cannot be copied, so no backups possible.

Just had returned too to GX after a long time, finally focussing on time attack with a more systematic approach, setting new recs, beating all staff ghosts and saving ghosts and replays.

Sam-well
Blue Falcon
Re: I corrupted my GC memory card on a hacked Wii
Reply to this Post

Worth mentioning: this was a 3rd party memory card with a faulty contact ( I dropped my GameCube once), meaning you had to insert it just right for the GameCube to recognise it. Still, it never went corrupt on me.

It's stupid 'cause I was using my real memory card with Nintendont, because I wanted to play some TimeSplitters 2 again and have everything unlocked instead of vanilla. Could've probably copied my save file to a virtual memory card but didn't look into that (it's complicated enough for me as it is). Can't get wiimote-nunchuck controls to work with TimeSplitters btw, which supposedly Nintendont should be able to do Sad

edit: @mods: ps. is it possible for me to change my nickname? It was just a random one I don't like anymore. I now have a gamertag I'd like to use.

Valyssa
Wild Goose
Reply to this Post

That's very unfortunate :c With GCMM (a homebrew app) it is actually possible to move GX's main data (though I've not really made any backups, so if It happens to me too I'm out of luck).

Also, what would you want to get it changed to? I can poke the mods on the Discord server to get it changed.

THE GOOSE IS LOOSE
RadioShadow
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

The fact you are using nintendont means you have the Homebrew installed. One cool feature using nintendont is you can store the save files on the SD Card. A useful feature if you don't want to flap around with memory cards / don't use a GameCube. Plus you don't have to worry about corruption.

But yeah, some games are programmed so you can't copy the save files. Soul Calibur II and Super Smash Bros. Melee come to mind. Some like F-ZERO GX and Phantasy Star Online will only work if the Serial Number of the memory card is the same.

There is this really cool Wii app called GCMM (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/GCMM) which can backup save files, even the ones that have the save copy protection. Using 1.3V or higher, it can patch F-ZERO GX or Phantasy Star Online to work on any memory card.

Also, if your Memory Card becomes corrupted and asks you to format the card, DON'T. It's most likely the header that has corruputed, and the save files are perfectly fine. Just back up the saves separately (not as a raw), then format the Memory Card in the GameCube or Wii's settings, and then restore your save files.

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

the SSBM save can be copied normally. i know because i have a backup of that in several memory cards from before any homebrew was around.

"Patience is useful in any moment"
Sam-well
Blue Falcon
Reply to this Post
RadioShadow wrote:

The fact you are using nintendont means you have the Homebrew installed. One cool feature using nintendont is you can store the save files on the SD Card. A useful feature if you don't want to flap around with memory cards / don't use a GameCube. Plus you don't have to worry about corruption.

But yeah, some games are programmed so you can't copy the save files. Soul Calibur II and Super Smash Bros. Melee come to mind. Some like F-ZERO GX and Phantasy Star Online will only work if the Serial Number of the memory card is the same.

There is this really cool Wii app called GCMM (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/GCMM) which can backup save files, even the ones that have the save copy protection. Using 1.3V or higher, it can patch F-ZERO GX or Phantasy Star Online to work on any memory card.

Also, if your Memory Card becomes corrupted and asks you to format the card, DON'T. It's most likely the header that has corruputed, and the save files are perfectly fine. Just back up the saves separately (not as a raw), then format the Memory Card in the GameCube or Wii's settings, and then restore your save files.

I formatted my memeory card unfortunately. Since then I've played again using Nintendont's virtual memory card. Pretty cool yes,

Didn't know about GCMM. Thanks for the tip 

Index » F-Zero GX » I corrupted my GC memory card on a hacked Wii