Home Page
F-Zero Central Community Update (Aug.) Championships General Forum Players Photo Album
F-Zero Climax
F-Zero GP Legend
F-Zero MV
F-Zero X
F-Zero GX
F-Zero SNES
F-Zero Climax F-Zero GP Legend F-Zero MV F-Zero X F-Zero GX F-Zero SNES
Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
Latest Times Your Latest Times Your Ranking Summary
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » FZC General Forum » So I found this surprisingly interesting F-Zero like game...
Razzi
Dragon Bird
So I found this surprisingly interesting F-Zero like game...
Reply to this Post

Deep within my local old-school games store, I found this simple little PS2 racer called HSX-Hypersonic.Xtreme. It looked like a generic hovercar racer, but one thing that interested me was that it boasted a track editor. So I picked it up and took it home. Interstingly enough...it's pretty good. It feels very F-Zero-ish; unlike most hovercar racers, there's no weapons and the tracks are very over-the-top and feel like something out of X, especially in that there's a lot of jumps which send you flying. You have a separate boost and health meter, and gain boost (which works by holding the button and draining it on demand, not like F-Zero's "press for one powerful boost at a time" system) by picking up things on the track. The physics are wonky though and the graphics are...not very good. Some nice weather effects though.

But that track editor. Holy crap that track editor. You start by picking any place on the globe (don't expect any cities or signs of civilization though, though many physical features like the Grand Canyon are in the correct area.) and then build a track through an incredibly intiutive interface. You know that awesome editor that F-Zero X had? The one you needed a N64DD just to use? Imagine that but actually in the game for anyone to use. This thing is versatile, man. You can make corkscrews, loops, massive jumps, or spirals (and then angle a straightaway through the spiral!). With some work you could recreate nearly any F-Zero track, except maybe the pipe/cylinder ones (though some dudes have tried out ways to make them). I am seeing myself mess with this for a long time. A long time.

So, if you have a PS2 and ever see this game for cheap...I suggest trying it out. Wherever you find it, it'll be like only three bucks, and for such a deep track editor 3 bucks is definitely worth it.

GarretK
Mr. EAD
Re: So I found this surprisingly interesting F-Zero like gam
Reply to this Post

Can we play it online?

Snakelancer
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

I saw some gameplays and this game doesn't live up to GX at all. I get it, it does look similar alot like F-Zero X, but we have F-Zero GX which looks FAR superior than this.

Sam-well
Blue Falcon
Reply to this Post

Thanks for the tip. Want to get a PS2 for Tekken Tag, so might as well pick this up to have a look at that track editor. I wonder how Super Pilot is coming along. First futuristic racer I've seen that seeks to genuinely emulate 3D F-Zero (with a track editor too). It's a small team though (maybe just one guy or something).

Index » FZC General Forum » So I found this surprisingly interesting F-Zero like game...