Home Page
F-Zero Central Community Update (Dec.) Championships General Forum Players Photo Album
F-Zero Climax
F-Zero GP Legend
F-Zero MV
F-Zero X
F-Zero GX
F-Zero SNES
F-Zero Climax F-Zero GP Legend F-Zero MV F-Zero X F-Zero GX F-Zero SNES
Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
Latest Times Your Latest Times Your Ranking Summary
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » FZC General Forum » F-zero 3D physics
razul
Mr. EAD
F-zero 3D physics
Reply to this Post

This is probably the best place to ask, how was physics handled in the 3D f-zero games?

I'm trying to emulate the system that keeps vehicles on the track but I can't seem to figure it out. Looking online for similar systems or other people trying to emulate it I either get hover effects that can only work right side up or really floaty systems that malfunction really easily. 

I don't care about specific stats or what not, but the general way how Nintendo and Sega implemented keeping fast vehicles on weirdly shaped shaped tracks (compared to normal racing games). Granted, I assume both X and GX use a similar system.

Does anyone know this or can point me in the right direction?

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Re: F-zero 3D physics
Reply to this Post

your assumption of them using similar systems is wrong since the games are completely different engines done by different people (Nintendo didn't code anything in GX. it was all Sega's work and Nintendo only did supervision and management work)

beyond that no one has figured out how this works yet.

"Patience is useful in any moment"
razul
Mr. EAD
Re: F-zero 3D physics
Reply to this Post

Well different engines often do the same or similar tasks roughly the same way. The code might be different but the task it needs to perform is very similar and by extension probably what the code is actually doing in broad strokes. There are only so many ways to solve a problem.

The only thing I know for certain is that X, and probably GX, uses splines for track generation and I suspect that the closest location on that spline to your vehicle sets the gravity up to a certain distance. But that's just a hunch.

Index » FZC General Forum » F-zero 3D physics