Home Page
F-Zero Central Community Update (Mar.) Championships General Forum Players Photo Album
F-Zero Climax
F-Zero GP Legend
F-Zero MV
F-Zero X
F-Zero GX
F-Zero SNES
F-Zero Climax F-Zero GP Legend F-Zero MV F-Zero X F-Zero GX F-Zero SNES
Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
GX Rules Resources Videos Ladders Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero GX » A new fork of Nintendont
CaptainAntonioFalcon
Dragon Bird
A new fork of Nintendont
Reply to this Post

Here's a new fork of Nintendont: Nintendont-CrisMMMod

There are a few improvements on Triforce playback I've personally implemented (my nickname on this website is AnthonyRyuki). Of course, F-Zero AX benefits from them, too.

Here's a list:

-The way F-Zero AX's language was set to English was through RAM hacking, but I more properly changed the region setting in the Triforce system instead, so some text became more legible.

-In F-Zero AX and Mario Kart Arcade GP, it is now possible to switch between the A and B buttons and the L and R triggers for the pedals. The former has the benefit of being comfortable to use, the latter allows for full control of the pedals as they are analog in the original arcade machines.

-In Virtua Striker 2002 and Gekitou Pro Yakyuu, it is now possible to also use the D-pad to move your character, along with the Control Stick. This makes sense, as the original arcade machines use a digital joystick.

-In Virtua Striker 4, it is now possible to set the announcer's language to Italian via the Test Mode, though Sega removed it in Ver. 2006.

-Also in Virtua Striker 4, when playing the game with a Wii U GamePad, the game would register a down input when pushing the analog stick all the way up. This was due to a bug (incorrect offset) on the Y axis that I fixed. (Note that the original arcade machine uses an analog joystick.)

Hope you'll check it out.

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Re: A new fork of Nintendont
Reply to this Post

if it's possible to request features, getting GC memory card support in Arcade games on Nintendont would the biggest game changer in AX.

with GC memory card support, it would be possible to use every machine without cheats since you could set the garage in GX and load it in AX. it would also give us every custom part accesible for AX driving.

it would also let people get some AX benefits in GX in a way that's not possible on the regular GX disc like unlocking the AX cup before Diamond Cup and making the game set the X machines as GP unlockables (i've recorded videos of this)

imo, GC memory card support would be as big as license card support. you actually get more things with a GC memory card than a license card since license cards only track your progress and save a custom machine.

"Patience is useful in any moment"
CaptainAntonioFalcon
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

I wish I could get memory card support working, but sadly I'm not that skilled at coding and I have no debugging tools for Wii.

Another thing that's missing IMO is the ability to save time attack data, such as records and ghosts. If you turn your console off, they will be gone.

CaptainAntonioFalcon
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

A new version of the app has been released, featuring further enhancements for Triforce games:

-It is no longer necessary to enable Memcard Emulation to save Triforce data and settings. This confused a lot of people as that data would be gone after quitting the game without setting that option.

-It is now possible to set the language in F-Zero AX to Japanese. To do that, just set any other language than English in the Language Setting. This could be a step in making Memory Card support possible as GC Memory Cards use different file systems for Japanese and Western saves, so this could make it possible for the game to support Japanese GX saves as well. All other Triforce games were released in a Japanese version and an Export version, but all revisions of F-Zero AX were designed to be able to run in both languages, so this is the only way to make it possible.

NM64
Golden Fox
Reply to this Post

I've not been able to test this yet, but does this by any chance still have the wacky issue that stock Nintendont has (at least the last time I tried it around 6 months ago) where you can't launch a game from a USB drive and have a USB controller (including this official GameCube USB adapter) plugged in to the console at the same time?  Or does everybody just use SD cards or a Wii console with physical GameCube ports instead?

(to clarify, I don't mean being unable to physically and the deviced plugged into the console - I can do that, it's just that Nintendont straight-up won't launch a game from a USB drive if I have a USB controller or adapter also plugged in; by contrast Devolution does not have this issue so I've been forced to continue using it...which is fine and all as it's extremely stable and "just works" - but it's anti-piracy measures mean that it can't run game mods like GX Unleashed)

On the subject of requesting features, I already left it in the issue tracker but implementing the support for wired Xbox 360 controllers from the existing Nintendont fork would be great:

https://github.com/revvv/Nintendont-XBOX360

Other than that, this might be a bit of a long-shot, but any chance for being able to run games, specifically F-Zero GX, at speeds other than 100%? (such as half speed, 2/3 speed, 3/4 speed, 125% speed, 150% speed, or maybe even weird fractional rates like 54/55 speed aka 98.182% speed, etc etc...)

AFAIK such a thing Currently this can only be achieved in Dolphin and I'd love to be able to achieve such functionality on real console hardware.  And I would imagine that anything above 150% would not be possible on an actual Wii and is only theoretically possible on a Wii U (and that's even assuming Nintendont can tap into the 1.2+GHz CPU clockrate of the Wii U rather than being limited to the Wii's 729MHz clocks).

CaptainAntonioFalcon
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

I can't test the stuff you requested as I don't own a Wii U. You can ask about it here: Nintendont-CrisMMMod | GBAtemp.net - The Independent Video Game Community

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

i use a Wii U but i put everything in SD cards. they're so cheap these days that you can put a ton of GC games in one like, 256GB SD cards are just $20 now. i use the official GC adapter to play the games and never have problems with this setup.

NM64
Golden Fox
Reply to this Post
CaptainAntonioFalcon wrote:

I can't test the stuff you requested as I don't own a Wii U.

Neither do I, but Nintendont works on a Wii console as well.

Uchiha Madao wrote:

i use a Wii U but i put everything in SD cards. they're so cheap these days that you can put a ton of GC games in one like, 256GB SD cards are just $20 now. i use the official GC adapter to play the games and never have problems with this setup.

So uh, how do you play Wii games then?  Last I checked, Wii games mustbe ran from a USB drive and cannot be ran from the SD card.  Or do you only plug in the official GC adapter when you actually need it rather than keeping it plugged in all the time?

...unless you just play Wii games the old fashioned way - from the actual disc? (that's something I got away from doing since running Wii games through a USB loader lets me save different settings on a per-game basis; Tetris Party Deluxe for example has an absolutely wasteful implementation of widescreen, so it's better to run that game in standard 4:3 and that's one of my Wii's most played games).

Regardless, I really want to stick with a 2GB SD card since I use it with some Wii software that only supports non-HC SD cards (the easiest example being Excite Truck which is even a Wii launch title so SDHC support is obviously missing there).

CaptainAntonioFalcon
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post
NM64 wrote:

The thing is, an original Wii console only has two USB ports, and the GameCube controller adapter uses both. So it's not possible to use the adapter and a USB drive at the same time on an original Wii.

As for the playback speed though, I could give it a shot...

NM64
Golden Fox
Reply to this Post
NM64 wrote:

The thing is, an original Wii console only has two USB ports, and the GameCube controller adapter uses both.

Only the black USB connector is required, the grey plug is purely an extra power connector for rumble (and even then it's not required; I've had rumble work with just the black connector on my Wii - maybe the Wii U puts out less amps per port?), meaning the grey connector can be plugged into any old USB charger and the like.

CaptainAntonioFalcon
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

OK, so I've tested the USB adapter for GC controllers on my original Wii and games on the USB drive work just fine (there is no rumble though).

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

it's possible to put Wii games on the SD card and run them from there. that's how i play metroid prime 3 randomizers.

they only work with CFG USB Loader though. the other loader won't load them this way.

i do it this way because i already use an external HDD for Wii U games and to plug another HDD with Wii games and have it work at the same time is a hassle. easier to just select a different program in the homebrew channel.

NM64
Golden Fox
Reply to this Post
Uchiha Madao wrote:

it's possible to put Wii games on the SD card and run them from there. that's how i play metroid prime 3 randomizers.

they only work with CFG USB Loader though. the other loader won't load them this way.

i do it this way because i already use an external HDD for Wii U games and to plug another HDD with Wii games and have it work at the same time is a hassle. easier to just select a different program in the homebrew channel.

Oh...yeah I used to use CFG like a decade ago, but I had major issues trying to get it working with GameCube games whether via DIOS-MIOS or Devolution (Nintendont did not exist at the time).  So I switched to USB Loader GX and everything worked great, and the channel-styled interface is extremely useful when playing with people that aren't familiar with USB loaders as it looks and works just like the normal Wii Menu.

Speaking of which, does CFG let you load software installed to the actual Wii Menu (like virtual console games and/or WiiWare)?  When I used CFG around a decade ago, I don't recall such a function being present, and that's a function we've gotten a ton of use out of since I use a custom boot2 file on the SD card to be able to boot straight to a homebrew app (in this case USB Loader GX) and bypass the Wii Menu altogether.

Anyway, protip - you can set a USB hard drive partition to "hidden" and it'll still work on various USB loaders, and the Wii U OS won't see it and therefore won't complain about wanting to format it.  The "hidden" partition flag can easily be toggled via Gparted which is included in various live Linux distros like Linux Mint (my preference), Ubuntu, etc.

And at the risk of going off-topic, you wouldn't happen to know where to find that Prime 3 Randomizer, would you?  The only link I can find mentioned is the Metroid Prime Randomizer discord and, despite there being an entire section for the Prime 3 Randomizer on said discord channel, I see no mention of how it can actually be downloaded (similarly there's no mention of a MP3:C randomizer in that discord channel's  #resources section)

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

CFG doesn't have support for that. that's why i mentioned switching homebrew program since, for the Wii channels i'd use USB Loader GX.

also, tbh i already went through the trouble to set this up and don't have any desire to change it. plus, it's more convenient to only maintain 2 devices instead of 3 (my method you only need one SD card for GC/Wii games and one HDD for Wii U) and the only "inconvenience" is having to use 2 different USB loader programs instead of 1. plus, it requires much less knowledge to set up so it's more friendly for people not into most of the more confusing stuff.

the prime 3 randomizer is in the Metroid Prime Randomizer discord. it's in the corruption channel.

NM64
Golden Fox
Reply to this Post
Uchiha Madao wrote:

the prime 3 randomizer is in the Metroid Prime Randomizer discord. it's in the corruption channel.  

Go figure, you were posting at the same time I was making major edits. Razz  I checked the discord channel, but I must be dumb or something because I see tons of reference to it but no actual download.

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

it's in the pins.

NM64
Golden Fox
Reply to this Post
Uchiha Madao wrote:

it's in the pins.