Home Page
F-Zero Central Community Update (Jul.) Championships General Forum Players Photo Album
F-Zero Climax
F-Zero GP Legend
F-Zero MV
F-Zero X
F-Zero GX
F-Zero SNES
F-Zero Climax F-Zero GP Legend F-Zero MV F-Zero X F-Zero GX F-Zero SNES
Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
Climax Rules Resources Videos Ladders Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero Climax » Climax acceleration curves
LoneKiltedNinja
Dragon Bird
Climax acceleration curves
Reply to this Post

The machine data posted at MFO has been a great help to me ever since I stumbled across the site lookig for MV and GX info.  I nabbed Climax on ebay a week or so ago ($1.25 + $4.95 shipping Very Happy) and am now busy crunching through the Grand Prix and unlocking all machines, and once again it's MFO to the rescueas far as determining what machines are capable of without playing every single one extensively.

However, as has been noted elsewhere, for the first time ever there seem to be no acceleration curves for any machine.  I've never been a huge fan of the Body-Boost-Grip notation (I may post another thread on this...), but at least every other game so far as quoted top speed and acceleration profiles.  I can tell from the speedrun vids that acceleration data is not necessarily the most valuable thing to serious players, but all the same it's nice to have.  I'm currently compiling my own curves from video captures on the longest starting straight I can build in the editor and was wondering whether anyone here would be interested in the data, or whether it might be a useful addition to the MFO machines page.  I may not have a complete list any time soon, but I can keep logging runs and copying numbers for the vehicles I've unlocked so far as I have the time.

BPA
Staff Ghost
Re: Climax acceleration curves
Reply to this Post

Ninja, its a shame you're asking these questions now - you're about a year too late. Masao, a Japanese player, used to host a site called fzeroworld.jp, which had answers for pretty much every one of your questions (speed acceleration, de-acceleration, body strength - the lot). However Masao fell ill last year and the site was overrun by spam, and unfortunately it is now down.  I could try to come up with some reprehensible answer for you soonish, but I haven't played ClimaX in so long...

LoneKiltedNinja
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

No pressure.  As I said in the other thread, I have a gut instinct for the system good enough to get me through the games.  As an engineer, I'm just a little aggrivated at Nintendo's choice not to release actual numbers on aything Razz

But that's another thread.  For here, I'm mainly curious whether any data I compile could be of use to MFO.  If someone else has already compiled it and anyone who cares saw it before it went down, I can understand if it's not worth the bother.

BPA
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

I don't think anyone saved the data from Masao's site (certainly not anyone I know), so if you have anything of use it could be valuable to us.

LoneKiltedNinja
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

Okay.  Batch 1 - 12/36:

• Astro Robin
  • Blue Falcon
  • Crazy Bear
  • Dragon Bird
  • Elegance Liberty
  • Fire Stingray
  • Golden Fox
  • Great Star
  • Super Piranha
  • White Cat
  • Wild Goose
  • Wonder Wasp

[blargh.  Had to omit the link since I'm not quite a fully-qualified member yet...]

I'll try to capture another small batch tonight, but it may be some time before I get the chance to polish off the Grand Prix and make a full list.

I have a running spreadsheet of all the actual data which I'll probably post when complete.  Speeds were taken under normal acceleration (stock Type 4 control, accelerator pressed part way through the final light, since preliminary tests indicated anything short of a boost/burn start didn't affect acceleration), matching the game timeclock with the game speedometer.  All times registered on my own custom test course

C004   !98$   0003   6991   5Q00

6?15   6#T0   0014   68LK   #980

0CF3   NQ00   01F0   0028   0004

0000   9000   0Q00   0100   003$

=H7W   0LW8   8800   0F20   8000

0F40   8000   0=Q0   01!7   60M4

0-KF   40M5   0-K0   40M4   C9!P

4WVJ   5QQ3   2#Y$   09QP  0W+F

C74F   5KFX   3LCF   60PP   0-KF

40P9   05Q0   W3FC   1Q70   W

... which is far more than just the requisite starting straight, but it's what I use Razz Makes a nice varied course for testing most machine specs at once.

Edit: While I can't yet post links/images, I can at least summarize.  There appear to be 2 fundamental acceleration curves- one fast (e.g. classic Falcon), one slow (e.g. classic Stingray)- which machines follow within a certain margin of error.  The curve a machine follows appears initially unrelated to its top speed or other stats, but I'll have to line results up with the full list of other specs to be sure.  In batch 1,

• Astro Robin - Fast
  • Blue Falcon - Fast
  • Crazy Bear - Fast
  • Dragon Bird - Fast
  • Elegance Liberty - Fast
  • Fire Stingray - Slow
  • Golden Fox - Fast
  • Great Star - Slow
  • Super Piranha - Fast
  • White Cat - Slow
  • Wild Goose - Slow
  • Wonder Wasp - Fast

Of these, Crazy Bear is by far the fastest top speed in the fast accel group and Fire Stingray is the fastest top speed in the slow group (although its curve is below that of the other slow machines for most of the chart).

Profound, I know, but it will be nice to ultimately see all specs in one place.  I could even imagine grabbing some turn rate specs as well and tossing all the ratings/speeds/curves into an applet or other script so new players can search for a machine that best fits their driving style...

Batch 2 of analyses is coming along slowly, and I've now unlocked up through the end of Expert class.  6 more machines to go and I'll beable to pull the full list of videos and crunch out the final batch of curves.

LoneKiltedNinja
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

10 posts, 7+ days.  Now we can get somewhere.

[Edit: blaaarghhhh.  Still getting the too-n00b-to-post  notice.  URLs once again removed.  I'll try again in a little bit longer.]

Batch 2 is

• Big Fang - Slow
  • Death Anchor - Slow
  • Deep Claw - Slow
  • Mighty Hurricane - Slow
  • Mighty Typhoon - Slow
  • Moon Shadow - Slow
  • Night Thunder - Fast
  • Panzer Emerald - Slow
  • Queen Meteor - Fast
  • Red Gazelle - Fast
  • Sonic Phantom - Slow
  • Space Angler - Slow

Batch 3 is pending- I have 5 vids I haven't analyzed yet, 3 machines not yet captured, and now by the full count of 39 machines, another 7 left to unlock iirc.  I may limit batch 3 to the last 12 of the 'basic' 36 and post the special machines separately, or I may do one final batch of 15, it all depends on my time.  You've probably noticed F-Zero isn't exactly my life, just a strong hobby...

BPA
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

No worries LK-Ninja. This is all coming along nicely, can't wait to see the proper spreadsheet =)

LoneKiltedNinja
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

*pokes forum system again*  Ready to cooperate yet?

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/spkelly/goodies/temp/FZC_accels_1.zip

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/spkelly/goodies/temp/FZC_accels_2.zip

Spent a chunk of time last night- the second big free block I've had since getting the game- knocking off Master's Bronze & Silver 1st-place and Master's Platinum Complete.  Looks like I was further than I thought- just need to polish my 3rd place in Master's Platinum up to a 1st, which I presume will net me Soldier Anchor, the only ? left on the list as far as I can see (took me a while to notice the "Press R" by Ryu & Zoda).  There's a chance I'll have everything unlocked this weekend, but it will still take some time to capture and step through the last few vids.

Edit: update- after something like 8 tries and finally realizing that if I just ignored the other machines, drove well, and let the crap AI take care of putting the other racers behind me (as opposed to aggressively boosting to regain ground and attacking any major threats, which inevitably resulted in pinballing, stalling out, and losing 4 places before I was moving again), I'm now fully clear- 39/39 ships.  I'll probably convert my A/V machine back to capture mode and grab a few vids later tonight, then get back to crunching them into the spreadsheet.

LoneKiltedNinja
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

Whew.  No more for tonight.  NO MORE I SAY!  The hidden 3 will have to be their own batch some time later.

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/spkelly/goodies/temp/FZC_accels_3.zip

• Black Bull - Slow
  • Blood Hawk - Fast
  • Dragon Bird GT - Fast
  • Green Panther - Fast
  • Hyper Speeder - Slow
  • Iron Tiger - Slow
  • King Meteor - Fast
  • Little Wyvern - Slow
  • Mad Wolf - Slow
  • Soldier Anchor - Slow
  • Twin Noritta - Fast
  • Wild Boar - Slow*

With everyone pretty much spec'd out (I'm guessing Falcon GT and Hyper Anchor have the same curves as Falcon and Death Anchor), I'll now revise my earlier statement- I'm seeing "2" fundamental acceleration curves.  There's still a definitive fast class and slow class, but within the fasts, there are some which rise a fraction steeper and settle a fraction lower, and some that rise slower and settle higher. The slows are a pretty consistent band, but contain a few individual anomalies- Black Bull is a marked lower outlier.  Fire Stingray shoots up the near-bottom of the pack but, unlike most others, doesn't level out within the space I could record.  Wild Boar is just strange.  It holds the second slope in its curve nearly twice as long as the other slows, cutting through the pack from just above Black Bull to about the 66th percentile of the group.

LoneKiltedNinja
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

Whew.  Last 3:

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/spkelly/goodies/temp/BlueFalconGT.jpg

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/spkelly/goodies/temp/RedBull.jpg

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/spkelly/goodies/temp/HyperDeathAnchor.jpg

Big surprise:

• Blue Falcon GT - Fast
  • Hyper Death Anchor - Slow
  • Red Bull - Slow

and the piece de resistance-

Final spreadsheet is at http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/spkelly/goodies/temp/FZC_accels.xls

I should note that in the spreadsheet, times in italics are interpolated- due to capture hiccoughs no frame was +/-.01 second from the desired point, so I took the surrounding fames and estimated.  The original vids are still around, but each batch is a ~375MB archive, so I'm not going to just post them.  If someone on MFO staff wants them for site archival purposes, I could drop them to someone's ftp server or work out another method of delivery.

As a followup problem, I've done some preliminary checks to show that different machines do have different turn rates, and may capture videos and numbers on that front.  I always liked the MV speed/turn performance/grip notation Smile

BPA
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

Downloaded the spreadsheet, then realised I don't have the necessary program to run an xls file Sad nevermind

I'm guessing that top ship on the speed/time graph is the Crazy Bear? Smile

This is all lovely stuff Ninja, you have msn or anything perchance where we could chat?

LoneKiltedNinja
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

I actually exported xls because I figured more of the world used that than the OpenDocument standard.  I can probably shoehorn it into pretty much any format now that the hard part is done.  I do have an AIM account, no MSN.  Unfortunately, I've been too busy to be on AIM much for months, and between the busy and the burnout I'm feeling after the big push to get the accels done (and the fact that my modded GBA's RCA-out cable just broke so I'd have to transplant my GameCube and make do with the ~1fps display I get while recording with no alternative screen) I may not start the turn rates for a whle.

If you want to discuss logins or other methods of transferring bulk video, shoot me a PM.  For regular discussion, I'm never going to be free to chat before I'm free to reply here, so this thread should suffice.

And yes, the top curve is Crazy Bear, the bottom are Black Bull followed by Red Bull.  The strange orange-orange one is Wild Boar.

Index » F-Zero Climax » Climax acceleration curves