F-Zero MV
F-Zero X
F-Zero GX
F-Zero SNES
F-Zero Climax F-Zero GP Legend F-Zero MV F-Zero X F-Zero GX F-Zero SNES
Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
MV Rules Resources Videos Ladder Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero MV » Standards for F-Zero MV -- thoughts?
BPA
Staff Ghost
Standards for F-Zero MV -- thoughts?
Reply to this Post

A feature of the Mario Kart ranking websites that I would like to ask for your consideration is standards. They are a set of target times used to determine a particular performance 'standard' that your own time falls into,  the average of which determining your overall standard ranking. This is an example of a records page showing their standards: http://www.mariokart64.com/mk64/stand.cgi

What myself and TBK have been wondering is, would you as a community be interested in potentially integrating this into MV? The idea behind standards is that they can work as a motivator, both to lower and higher ranked players looking to set the time of their desire, say an Expert (lower tier) time for a player in the lower rungs, or a 'God' (top tier) time for a high ranked player. The standards would be created with input from the community, with times and names taken into consideration as well as the extent into which they would be deployed on the site. We have a decade of competition informing our choices and judgments behind what these standards could be, and as MV is a largely unglitched and unsoiled game the consistency of these standards could stand for many years to come.

Interest and opinions would be appreciated!

"Lucifer! Punish your enemies, oh lord of the night, destroy them all!"
TBK
Janitor
Re: Standards for F-Zero MV -- thoughts?
Reply to this Post

I’m obviously interested and would help working on them. As Ben said MV already has years of competition behind it so there’s a good chance that they would stand the test of time. The downside of course is that after all the years the competition has visibly flattened with now only a handful of active players. If this topic ends up not getting the feedback we're hoping for then it could still be used to evaluate some standards for the heck of it… outside of the ladders.

Yazzo
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

Standards is a cool thing and so why not add them if we can, I'm all for it.

And I don't see why the decision should be based on if the ladder is active or not. Maybe the standards could even make it a bit more active, who knows.

Peutos
Fire Stingray
Reply to this Post

It wuold be a good thing. I'm agree but i don't understand if this will replace the ladder or not... i like the ladder page Smile

BPA
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

Thanks for the feedback. The standards wouldn't be used to replace the ladder, but as an addition to it. Ideally they would constitute an extra column on the ladder page, with standards automatically linked to your times so that when you update your records, the standard rank would be as well. Here's an example of an individual player's page with their rankings on: http://www.mariokart64.com/smk/profile.php?pid=447

You can see the standards next to each time, and at the bottom lies an average standard ranking composed in the same way average finish is.

If the idea is approved by enough people then the next issue would be if standards can be implemented into the ladder. If it isn't, then a stickied thread on the subforum with all the standards shown will be the next best thing.

Mandalore
Jet Vermilion
Reply to this Post

Sounds good. I vote we don't name the top standard "God". "Master" sounds much more appropriate for F-Zero.

Or maybe we could use a F-Zero Central style system?

Yazzo
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

something "f-zero themed" would be awesome.

BPA
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post
BenB17 wrote:

Sounds good. I vote we don't name the top standard "God". "Master" sounds much more appropriate for F-Zero.

Or maybe we could use a F-Zero Central style system?

Yeah I don't want the top standard to be named God either. I like Master. I was thinking the names of Cups and difficulties from the various games could be used as names for standards, in which case Master would fit being the top bill.

We *could* adopt the names of the standards from FZC, but I'd rather we didn't use their system of determining standards. That was based upon percentiles which increased depending on however many players were on the ladder itself, so it was a variable system that defeats the point of a motivating system -- if you become Expert D but then 5 players go above you and you slip back into Hero A or whatever, would that not be the same as the basic Average Finish ranking anyway? The same thing happens there, whereas fixed standards are always there to be targeted.

Index » F-Zero MV » Standards for F-Zero MV -- thoughts?