Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
SNES Rules Resources Videos Ladder Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero SNES » About that Metalsmasher guy
Captain_Failcon
Blue Falcon
About that Metalsmasher guy
Reply to this Post

I'd like to hear his history in F-Zero and how he got caught cheating.

edward406
Staff Ghost
Re: About that Metalsmasher guy
Reply to this Post

I wasn't around when this guy submitted times, but this is what I found as far as him getting caught.

I'm sure as you have seen, Metalsmashers videos are available for reference under the Videos tab. Chrischi uploaded his videos on Youtube under the username ChrischiPika. In the uploader comments for Metalsmasher's DWII time, ChrischiPika said the following "...a special f-zero crew could recognized that this was an emulator run. somethign wasnt right with the sound or so ^^"

That's as much as I know, I'm sure one of the admins here who are a part of this crew can further elaborate.

"It's the F-Zero spirit!" -Yazzo
BPA
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

I won't go into specifics as to how he was cheating, but we received a tipoff from someone from a TAS-related site that pointed out inconsistencies and inaccuracies in his runs that were not kosher with a regular SFC run. I believe someone from here noticed it first and asked this other site about whether their hunch checked out, but I can't remember exactly the chronology of it.

"Lucifer! Punish your enemies, oh lord of the night, destroy them all!"
Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

to put it simply, i was going to submit a whole set of FZSNES times to SDA and collected several videos from Faust and co. from back then (same thing i did for FZX back in 2005 at SDA). at that time, this guy was "getting" WRs easily and blew past the sub 31 course time in a matter of days and several of his videos were "good enough". someone at SDA noticed the inconsistencies over there and then came here to point it out and that's when stuff got real. the guy was deleted from every ladder inmediately and was chased away and i apologized to the SDA people for the mess.

i almost lost my credibility at SDA because of his stupid stunt and he'll be the site's shame and ridicule as long as it exists. this is the reason we have rules so strict all over the ladders and are hostile towards new players who claim to get a WR easily and then fail to provide proof timely. in a way, Funstyle should blame this guy since that old issue is a big part of what caused most of the drama around him with his FZSNES times.

this is also part of the reason there's no FZSNES page at SDA.

"Patience is useful in any moment"
FunStyle
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

I wont say much to that since i really hate that guy, true xD

I was asking someone here in the past, maybe it was Wouter or Chrishi about him. I already knew that this was not an console run since i watched it the first time.It's very easy to find out, even without sound. And i also think that it was an accident, that those videos have such a crap quality, as they were digitally recorded. I guess he tryed to hide things obviously show that it was an Emulator run. I can say it again and again, the numbers of time as they are looking in his run are obvious points that it is an emulator run.Thats why i like edwards way to proof as he really shows the menu and his gamepad after every run. Because i think as the Virtual Console was released it got much easier to cheat on FZSNES. Of course there is also the sound difference which got me into trouble, since i never had shown it in my vids i recorded with camera...

The Legend never dies-
Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

another thing is that TASing wasn't too common yet and not many people had the eye to spot them easily. couple it with videos having overall worse quality back then and it can be explained why this happened.

"Patience is useful in any moment"
   Index » F-Zero SNES » About that Metalsmasher guy