Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
Latest Times Your Latest Times Your Ranking Summary
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » FZC General Forum » F-Zero WR Histories
TBK
Janitor
F-Zero WR Histories
Reply to this Post

Probably inspired by Cole’s WR Pages over at the Mario Kart site I’ve started to work on WR histories for the F-Zero games. Since we don’t have the luxury of the yahoo groups (only that early FZX group still exists) I was forced to really look into anything that’s still available to make an at least somewhat coherent attempt at this. Some weeks ago I have finished a first draft for F-Zero MV. I’ll elaborate a little on what exactly I used to compile these lists:

F-Zero MV fzerowrs.com/mv/

• official japanese Nintendo Rankings as a starting point (Nazoyosi, Yamamoto and Masao dominated those)
  • archvied versions of sugi’s site (5 different URLs over the years I found out)
  • archived version of fzerocentral (2 captures of site records, old news sections)
  • fzerocentral message board (Antoine, Greg and Leo as the top players there, introduction of fast laps there since the japanese players didn’t go for them)
  • archived old mrfixitonline for a few snapshots of older records
  • yazzo’s precious notebook with most of his WR progress
  • my own personal MV folder (occasional printouts of the WR’s at the time, sheets from David with old WR’s and japanse times)
  • archived WR page (the one I created and erased again)
  • feedback from old school players (Greg, Clement, Dave)

F-Zero X fzerowrs.com/x/

• yahoo group, thanks to Erick for pointing it out! I had a lot of fun in there but it was also pretty crazy after a while to look for all those times (DVM, Karl, Dustin and JKT dominated that era)
  • archived fzerocentral and fzerocentral message board (old news sections, post your times topics)
  • archived old mrfixitonline for 2 snapshots of records
  • muumu’s site
  • archived WR page (the one I created and erased again)
  • videos for previous records (the previous best of a video)
  • shérifs old time scroll video 11/2005 (he confirmed a few records)
  • Sugi's first incarnation of Endless Challengers (1998/1999)

F-Zero SNES fzerowrs.com/snes/

• scans of a Japanese magazine that Richard Taro provided
  • archived version of sugi’s site
  • archived fzerocentral (old news sections) and fzerocentral message board
  • yahoo group
  • current WR page
  • current Ladder (BPA and WMJ confirmed some laps)
  • Legend’s youtube account
  • videos for previous records (the previous best of a video)
  • Legend's blog and secret youtube account

General sources for all histories:

• current WR topics
  • Richard Taro’s blog
  • #fzerocentral chatlogs
  • archived Twin Galaxies WR topic

Different timezones of sources used:

• yahoo groups are GMT -8 (PG Offline shows GMT +1)
  • fzerocentral shows GMT +1 (computer time)
  • Richard's blog shows GMT +8 (?)
  • mrfixitonline archive shows GMT -5
  • fzerocentral suddenlaunch forum shows GMT -6

Those differences were not taken into account. This is not a problem though as this would only be interesting if players have set world records very close to each other (minutes or hours apart) which usually happens when a game is freshly released. Also you would have to have 2 different sources with exact timestamps to overlap each other for a possible case like that. This didn't really happen as most sources solely cover a certain era of the game's record history so the order in which records were set remains unaffected.

Update: The WR History projects for F-Zero GX and F-Zero GPL have been scrapped.

Dave Phaneuf
Fire Stingray
Re: F-Zero WR Histories
Reply to this Post

Hiya! Got your FB message. And while there's no way I can remember exactly when times were made. I can perhaps help out a little bit.

Here's a list of times that I found while digging through the videos that Miguel and Myslef had recorded back then. Though keep in mind, the dates of these times all come from the "Date Modified" section of the videos, so there's nothing 100% certain for the dates. In fact, I'm sure that almost all these dates are innacurate. And in most cases I only checked videos I had marked "WR" on, so hopefully I didn't miss anything (I may've though).

Some of these videos were recorded the day I set the time, and others weren't (As I recorded on the VCR, so sometimes I didn't bring them to the PC until later) and some times here were submited before I made the video, and some may've been after. So be sure to put a "Referenced from Video" date for the times, or something like that.

Anyway, here's the List for both Myself and Miguel:

DAVE

Devil's Forest:

-LAP- 18"279 (05/12/2005) Blood Hawk

Big Blue:

-TIME- 1'06"926 (06/22/2004) Blood Hawk

-TIME- 1'03"542 (02/14/2005) Blood Hawk !!  [NOTE]

-LAP- 21"267 (04/15/2004) Night Thunder

-LAP- 19"780 (02/14/2005) Blood Hawk

Port Town:

-LAP- 18"830 (10/31/2004) Night Thunder

-LAP- 18"505 (06/17/2005) Blood Hawk !!

Sector Alpha:

-TIME- 1'00"760 (04/18/2005) Blood Hawk !!

Red Canyon:

-LAP- 16"762 (17/03/2005) Blood Hawk

Devil's Forest 2:

-TIME- 1'06"363 (08/07/2004) Blood Hawk

-LAP- 19"385 (05/26/2007) Blood Hawk !!

Big Blue 2:

-TIME- 48"901 (05/30/2005) Blood Hawk !! [Miguel has the same time as I do here, but I believe I did this first]

-LAP- 14"955 (03/17/2005) Blood Hawk

White Land:

-TIME- 1'14"236 (04/27/2005) Night Thunder

-LAP- 21"304 (12/20/2004) Night thunder

Fire Field:

-LAP- 16"415 (12/20/2004) Blood Hawk

-LAP- 16"113 (04/27/2005) Blood Hawk

Silence 2:

-SPEED- 2564 (05/27/2004) Twin Noritta

Sector Beta:

-TIME- 1'09"537 (06/07/2005) Blue Falcon !!

Red Canyon 2:

-LAP- 17"840 (04/27/2005) Blood Hawk

White Land 2:

-TIME- 37"776 (01/31/2005) Blood Hawk !! (UNSURE) [Vid is Not Labled WR]

Mute City 3:

-TIME- 1'09"093 (08/13/2004) Blood Hawk

-TIME- 1'08"425 (03/14/2005) Blood Hawk !!

-TIME- 1'05"529 (02/16/2007) Blood Hawk !!

-LAP- 20"807 (03/19/2005) Blood Hawk

-LAP- 19"086 (03/13/2007) Blood Hawk

Space Plant:

-TIME- 1'19"997 (05/30/2005) Blood Hawk !!

-LAP- 23"589 (12/15/2004) Blood Hawk  !!

Sand Ocean 2:

-TIME- 1'08"601 (03/24/2005) Blood Hawk !!

-LAP- 20"416 (04/27/2005) Blood Hawk

Port Town 2:

-TIME- 1'20"421 (10/05/2004) Blood Hawk

Big Hand:

-LAP- 31"440 (04/26/2006) Blood Hawk

MIGUEL

Big Blue:

-TIME- 1'04"922 (02/14/2005) Blood Hawk !! [NOTE]

Devil's Forest 2:

-TIME- 1'05"851 (04/20/2005) Blood Hawk !! (UNSURE) [Vid is Not Labled WR]

Mute City 2:

-TIME- 56"920 (01/19/2006) Blood Hawk !! (UNSURE) [Vid is Not Labled WR]

Big Blue 2:

-TIME- 49"547 (02/26/2005) Blood Hawk

White Land 2:

-TIME- 37"592 (02/08/2005) Blood Hawk !! (UNSURE) [Vid is Not Labled WR]

Mute City 3:

-TIME- 1'09"093 (05/26/2007) Blood Hawk !! (UNSURE) [Vid is Not Labled WR]

[NOTE for our BIG BLUE times] While the time I encoded these clips are the same, the raw clip I recorded of my time is more recent. Despite that, I still believe miguel did his Big Blue Time first. here.

TBK
Janitor
Reply to this Post

Added most of those times, very nice! Smile

Also Funstyle highlighted the AGG times and the SB loop skip!

Dave Phaneuf
Fire Stingray
Reply to this Post

I checked Miguel's MC3 time, and it was defenitley wrong on my other post.

It is:

Mute City 3:

-TIME- 1'04"838 (05/26/2007) Blood Hawk

Still don't know if it was a WR when it was set though.

TBK
Janitor
Reply to this Post

I've come to a point now where I don't feel like continuing them unless I know there'll be a place to showcase them at. I did however finish the F-Zero MV history completely!

My first idea was to contact the webmaster of these great sites:

http://mkwii.co.nf/mkdd/
http://mkwii.co.nf/
http://mkwii.co.nf/mk7/

I've asked him if he'd be interested in making F-Zero versions of them. Unfortunately he doesn't have the time and motivation for it now though he did encourage me to have a similar site made. An F-Zero site like this could look almost identical to the Mario Kart ones. It would actually be even more basic. The way the MK sites are built, they rely heavily on complete set of dates. If you check the MV history up there you’ll see that for F-Zero I won’t be able to retrieve exact dates for all the records. The big server crash from 2006 alone makes this an impossible task. So sometimes there’ll only be the month and year, sometimes only the year. That means that most of the date related stats (duration of records for example) that you can find on the MK Sites couldn’t be implemented into an F-Zero version. I don’t find that too problematic though. There’ll be less stats but it’ll still be interesting. Anyway, I'm not capable of making a site like this. I would definitely need a lot of help. If anyone is willing to get this started that’d be amazing. Otherwise this project will die out until Cole maybe changes his mind the future.

TBK
Janitor
Reply to this Post

Check out the new F-Zero MV WR History site!

fzerowrs.com/mv/

A huge thanks to Cole from the Mario Kart community for making this possible and to CGN for providing the logo. Smile The incomplete set of accurate dates was probably the biggest obstacle but Cole found a solution and it looks very presentable! With this I hope there can be sites for SNES and X in the future since those record histories had the same problem with the dates but that seems to be solved now.

Yazzo
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

Very nice! So glad to see this finally come true.

But it seems like the site is a bit unstable? People get connection errors for some reason.

TBK
Janitor
Reply to this Post

Reported the error to Cole, the site should still work most of the time for now.

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

nice to see this completed for MV. hopefully the histories for the other games can be completed.

"Patience is useful in any moment"
Randal
Fire Stingray
Reply to this Post

Awesome work Tim Smile

Lego is the performance enchancing drug of choice for f-zero players...Stay clean kids and say no to Lego
TBK
Janitor
Reply to this Post

Here are the WR History sites for F-Zero SNES and F-Zero X:

fzerowrs.com/snes/

fzerowrs.com/x/

Still a little work to do here and there but for the most part these are finished. For FZX there might be some changes in the future so you can also see the Non-AGG records. Also please understand that a seperation into NTSC and PAL wasn't really a possiblity for this project. Only by combining both was I able to get a coherent history out of both games. If you know this community then you'll also know that maintaining the site and making good decisions for the competition isn't its strong point. That all improved over the years but to this day PAL and NTSC aren't even seperated in the ladders. You can see that in the WR topic players have only ever posted overall world records, because that was their perception of a world record. It wasn't really on the players minds you can also have a NTSC only or PAL only WR. This is one of the main reasons seperate histories don't exist. The information needed for them simply isn't available. It was hardly available for the combined versions but I'm still happy with how both of these turned out.

I hope I could clear that up a little before another Naegleria comes along and goes like "where's NTSC, this has slow mode only" or "it hurts to look at that shit", lol.

Luckily for SNES you only have very few PAL times and all the records in recent years have been set in NTSC.

I'll have to give another big thanks to Cole from the Mario Kart community for making this happen. Even though it took a while, he still took the time to create something for a community he isn't even part of. I'm really liking this bond between the karters and this place.

Also thanks to FunStyle who initiated the FZX history, Richard Taro who provided a lot of information for both histories, CGN for this amazing FZX logo (looks fantastic imo) and other players for their cooperation.

Copernicus
Blood Hawk
Reply to this Post

Nice job on the website.  As mentioned in the initial post, WR History for F-Zero GX and GPL were scrapped.  Are they still scrapped?  What about Climax?

Visit my personal website: http://www.nicusprops.com
TBK
Janitor
Reply to this Post
Thanks, and yeah they are still scrapped. You can read more about the reasons here in the 4th post:

http://www.mariokart64.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1440880899

Sorry no hyperlink, bad forum now. You'll see how Climax is also affected and there won't be a site for it either.
TBK
Janitor
Reply to this Post

New domain:

www.fzerowrs.com

As of now the old ones redirect you to various other sites that might not be safe!

Index » FZC General Forum » F-Zero WR Histories