F-Zero MV
F-Zero X
F-Zero GX
F-Zero SNES
F-Zero Climax F-Zero GP Legend F-Zero MV F-Zero X F-Zero GX F-Zero SNES
Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
X Rules Resources Videos Ladders Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero X » F-Zero X Climax, a new F-Zero X on Nintendo 64 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Philippe Brodier
Black Bull
F-Zero X Climax, a new F-Zero X on Nintendo 64
Reply to this Post
Root Topic

It's the 15th anniversary of F-Zero X, something has to happen !

Now there is a "new" game on Nintendo 64 !

This is the first modded game with all the graphics changed that can operate directly on Nintendo 64 and emulators.

The link ( below ) : http://www.emulation64.fr/?page=download&id=256

The bla-bla :

Yes it's a new F-Zero X, certainly one of the most accessible game for such a spot on N64. It took me one year, like 6 to 8 hours a day to create that mod, it happened that back in november I had to quit my job ( far away from home ) for familly reasons, so since then I could be more concentrate on my mod also working on weekends ( a bit less however ), before I used to work 4 to 5 hours, not the weekend for my older mods. It's serious work. I'll explain why it took me so long later.

I chosed to use F-Zero Climax as an inspiration, the last episode of the serie, released only in Japan on GBA to create my mod. 

On this new F-Zero X mod, as usual I remade each of the 24 F-Zero X tracks , they're all from the 54 that F-Zero Climax has but I made very large changes, including 3D, the GBA version was 2 only of course, but some tracks remain flat as the originals. One of my first goal was to make those tracks championship friendly, beside on Silence 2 and Red Canyon 3, usually 20 CPUs or more will survive those tracks, sometimes less, it still depends how you play, take the lead quickly sometimes help them, sometimes running with them helps. I tried to make the CPUs survive better on S2 and RC3 but after many attempts I chosed to keep them that way to continue to respect the original maps, for exemple I didn't want to remove the jump plates on RC3 ( a remix of RC1 SNES ) still those 2 tracks are ok for time attack (Edit : In version 1.1 I exchanged S2 and RC3 position, that way the CPUs survive).

The computer is very fast on most tracks, some are a challenge, even for advanced players in fact ! I have tried to slow down CPUs speed by reducing the size of some circuits ( with the scale tool of the Fzep level editor ) but it's still hard, beginners will have to learn how to slide ( max acceleration guys, with bad grip machines ) or at least use the good settings with jumper machines and use ZZ / RR cornering control properly not to slip and keep speed. Like many games it takes a little time to enjoy it.

I tried to respect the original circuits by placing arrows, ice and dirt in the same places, but as the tracks are much longer, the circuits on F-Zero Climax are very short and machines are fast, all with design and handling that would be very ill-suited to F-Zero X, so I didn't even try to create tracks with the original size but long tracks, they're also much longer than the F-Zero X tracks with more arrows and jump plates here and there to reduce the feeling of emptiness and length of some sections and to increase fun of course ! To begin with the F-Zero Climax tracks aren't the best to fit F-Zero X but I tried to remix them as good as I could in a short period of time, in fact I decided around February than rather than just building a full graphic change for F-Zero X  I wanted to build a pack of new tracks to create what will look like a real new Nintendo 64 game, with the climax stuff I had already incuded it was easier and it made sense to use remix circuits from Climax GBA instead of buiding new tracks, plus I was so late with the textures I knew I won't have the time to build original tracks, I was right as I started create circuits on the beginning of june only, it took me a full month of intense working to made them, I think the result is ok but I can't compare them with the 10th anniversary or expansion pack mods I made before, each pack took me like six month to create, I had the time to really work on each track and I was inspired and motivated ( 10th anniversary ), not that much these days, I remember being disappointed when I shared F-Zero X Expansion pack and PXB 3 on the site with only 3 people replying, that was one year of work, same with the announcement of  the possibilty to change the textures in the F-Zero X rom that was quite big to me, for the first time we can edit F-Zero X textures, I even shared a beta pack that even runs on the n64, the first of its kind, ok it was ugly, again it seems that only four guys felt that a reply will be ok, that let me to give up on the topic I created where I wanted to share my progress. I understand most people here ( we're just a few after all ) are interested in time attack mostly or only, I love time attack so much with FZX too, I'm just sad that only very few people are interested with the custom part of FZX, I have that sad feeling of the guy who working hard to get nothing, I don't like that nobody cares situation. At least some of my youtube followers are encouraging, that helps, thank to them. End of the sad note. That time it has to be different with F-Zero Climax. This mod is special, I don't think you will see another one that you can compare with mine before a long time on n64. I guess that 's what will make the difference with the regular F-Zero X custom tracks packs, there's many of those ( but not so many are good ), this one will remain unique for quite a while I think. I still plan to release a F-Zero X 20th anniversary pack along with PXB4, those packs will may be be retextured too. 2018 Guys. There is a spot for the 15th anniversay of  the Expanion Kit, I'll see what I'll do then.

The graphics side now, modding F-Zero X textures was the thing that really motivated me to create that mod for the 15th anniversary of F-Zero, I wanted to do that for so long. I wasn't happy with the flows of the HD plugin and I prefer playing on console so when I discovered Tilemolester + Gedecompress and that it's possible to change so many GFX in my favorite game that I decided to create F-Zero X Climax. After a year of intense hard work to successfully find and change a maximum of textures, pictures and texts, after dealing with a lot of problems to properly modified the game textures, I finally made it.

I didn 't find any "tricks" to make the compressed files work faster, sometimes it took an hour or more to make a single change work in the game, there are 433 compressed files in the game, I' ve changed 190 of them but that's 6.5 mb out of 7 when the files are uncompressed, the remaining files are only characters or texts. Edit these would have been possible, but I found myself faced with an obvious problem that you notice at first sight, on many images, below, little dash or parasites colors, that happen with the compressed files on 2D pics, it's possible to remove them but that's what I can call a miracle, that's why you''ll see many of them, on the menus mainly but also on the credits, however, after so many hours of attempt I managed to remove some of them, not as much as I wanted to, in fact it's very random, as I said I didn't find how to make that work perfectly. Now imagine a dash under each letters of a long word and you will understand why I dropped those compressed files, it would have been very ugly plus the smaller files are the hardest to mod. Instaed, I decided to focus on tracks textures and tried so many things to find some that are looking good with the FZX graphic engine.

Climax GBA ( beta ) style : very limited, so much better possibilities to use instead ... 

I now really understand why Nintendo was limited with the graphics on F-Zero X, that graphic style that also appears to be responsible for the non-success of the game at the time, in my opinion the game's graphics were not a problem, they had the advantage of giving the game high readability circuits, the ability to bend in all directions (thanks to the track editor in the Expansion Kit) and a smooth 60 frames per second was unique at that time but yes indeed, F-Zero X is not beautiful, simple at best. Who really cares now, at least it looks better than some PS1 or saturn racing games with those pixelated 3D textures. For what I made with F-Zero X Climax I can say it is very difficult to make a texture that makes it as well when the race is 10 meters or 200 meters wide knowing that I worked on a 64x32 pixel texture base. It's hard to make the track textures fit together but the real difficuty is with the common textures ( pipes, tunnels... ) compressed file, harder than the other to mod with many other textures in it, the doors, refiller ... and I had problems with that one. Instead of the classic clear/dark color textures you can see on F-zero X, sometimes I chosed some that didn't really fit together to create more variations on a single venue file, up to 3 different kind of textures on the Big Blue/Illusion compressed file. 

When I started to create my first custom textures last year I noticed that strange parasite colors were visible on many pics or textures, the other big problems was to create textures without  those parasite, after a while I figured out how to do it almost properly but it takes a lot of time (you need work the textures in "negative" to avoid parasites) so in addition of the few I made, I used textures ( not emu dumps, unusable, with parasites everywhere, I even tried some wipout textures, too ugly on fzx with the parasites) that I could find and dump in other n64 games that has the same graphic properties that F-Zero X has. I extracted compressed files of many games to look for appropriate textures for FZX, sometimes I just cut and paste the texture from a rom to FZX, sometimes I completly reworked some of them, sometimes I changes things, details or even use some textures for their unparasited colors. Using textures from other n64 games, mainly to avoid all those parasites, was faster than create original ones (I won't be ready for the 15th anniversary and I didn't want to spend more than one year on the mod), I had a large choice at the beginning but after many attempts no so much, I've seen weird things during those, only a few kind of textures are looking "good" on F-Zero X, I tried the best I could with what I have and with my own created textures. You may recognise some of those n64 dumped textures by the way !

Parasites  :

The two patchs are for the US and JPN rom of the game, remember you must have a real F-Zero X cart or have it on wii to play the FZX roms : )

The japanese version is usable with the addtion of the Expansion kit (YEAH !), for those who have an Everdrive/64drive/ED64plus/Dr Jr v64 in addition, you can use new textures in it to create your own retextured custom tracks, I also included some suprises that you may not see coming, also sometimes by saving a custom track in the editor it activates a speed glitch, it works one time only, you need to resave to retry.

Edition of the textures with Tile Molester and Gedecompress.

Tracks patched with the Fzep level editor.

I also used others tools like an HEX editor, Macet, Photoshop ... to be able to complete the mod.

Thank you to Subdrag, BGNG, Nintendo and tadashi sugiyama without them F-Zero Climax X would not have existed.

Thank you to the F-Zero community, thumb up to Jimmy Thai and Statix for making me bought a 64DD + Expansion kit.

Mr. Myamoto it's time to release a new F-Zero ! Find ideas and If you can't find some, ask people !

Thank you to BFrancois and emulation64, F-Zero Central and its users, my Youtube subscribers and my parents.

Have fun !

PS : re, the link :  http://www.emulation64.fr/?page=download&id=256

WaluigiManProductions
Mr. EAD
Re: F-Zero X Climax, a new F-Zero X on Nintendo 64
Reply to this Post

Good Job, Brodier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smile Wink

JAGG_ZERO
Golden Fox
Reply to this Post

I did a TAS of the first 6 tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEnCdPLuYh0

JAGG_ZERO
Golden Fox
Reply to this Post

The Silver Cup TAS is done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GNw9ZlH6lA

Semi-related, I also TASed 2 custom tracks between both cups so if you missed them, here they are:

Cup of Tea 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E8S4Pb2ZVE

4th Dimension:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WI9sesWyXo

Philippe Brodier
Black Bull
F-Zero X Climax 1.1
Reply to this Post

I finally decided to make an update of F-Zero X Climax. Today's the 10th anniversary of GBA's F-Zero Climax or the 10th anniversary of the death of the F-Zero serie, as you wish, anyway it motivated me to fix a few things in the game. It stays the same but I Had improved or change some things that bother me in the 1.0 version.

I won't list everything I changed but here are some exemples :

- I arranged the three last tracks of the Platinum cup to help the CPUs to survive, for that I exchanged the Silence 2 and Red canyon 3 postions since the script used by the CPUs on the original FZX track work better that way with the new tracks, with the add of a few changes on the tracks the CPUs survive.

- I arranged parasite colors here and there to improve visual a bit, like on the n64 logo or on some track textures.

- I changed Lighting to Lightning, my bad, big mistake.

- a few details here and there that most of  you won't notice.

Here are the link for now : 

http://www.emulation64.fr/?page=download&id=256

https://www.sendspace.com/file/5a20ur

Jagg Zero, I'll hope you'll find the time and motivation to make TAS on the gold and platinum cups, the first two cups were awesome !!!

JAGG_ZERO
Golden Fox
Re: F-Zero X Climax 1.1
Reply to this Post

Philippe Brodier wrote:

Jagg Zero, I'll hope you'll find the time and motivation to make TAS on the gold and platinum cups, the first two cups were awesome !!!

I took a bit of a break off TASing but I'm back working on the Gold Cup albeit at a slower pace than when I was working on the Bronze and Silver Cups. Right now, I'm up to the second lap in Big Blue 2. Like the first two cups, this cup is pretty crazy Razz

I tested the Gold Cup m64 in the 1.1 Version and it desynced during the track selection and settings menus but hex editing fixed it so I can continue the TAS using Climax 1.1.

Thanks for the update Smile

Philippe Brodier
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

I'm very glad too see that you didn't give up on FZX Climax TAS ! I can't wait to watch them but take your time 

Your TAS make those cups even crazier 

I don't know or understand why this version causes trouble with your emulator but it's cool that you can use the 1.1 version to continue your TAS with the Gold and Platinum cup !

Good luck !

JAGG_ZERO
Golden Fox
Reply to this Post

Gold Cup TAS is finished:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SJ-azzVGPA

Effendi
Wild Goose
Reply to this Post

my God that's amazing... o.O

Philippe Brodier
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

That was really awesome  !!!

I didn't think AGG when I built the tracks (I still don't use that move, I'll keep it for later learning, it has to be the last super move discovered on FZX) and I'm always suprised when you use it, there are many of them on that cup so I was even more surprised (and amazed) with this TAS than on the two previous ! Thank you again for your work ! I know the platinum cup will come whenever but I can't wait !

XoPachi
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

I'm having a bit of trouble getting it to patch, but the videos look cool. A lot of work was put into this. :3

Philippe Brodier
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

This will help you :

a) Double click on "Lunar IPS.exe"

b) Click "Apply IPS Patch" and choose the patch "Climax F-Zero X (U) [!]. ips" or F-Zero X Climax (J) [!]. ips.

c) Then select the rom "F-Zero X (U) [!]. Z64" or F-Zero X (J) [!]. Z64

Note: You must set the file type to "Most common ROM Files" to "all files"

d) You have patched the rom

JAGG_ZERO
Golden Fox
Reply to this Post

Glad to see the site is back up.

Platinum Cup TAS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPyLnp4xnoc

RandomSnatcher
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

Tried patching this with a No-Intro rom, but Not64 didn't recognize it, so I had to find and rely on a GOODN64 rom, and it worked this time around. I dunno if it's this patch or Wii64/Not64 only cares about crummy GOODN64 rom and doesn't care about reading No-Intro formatted N64 roms. Either way, the game experiences a lot of graphical glitches on the N64 emulator for the Wii (Emulators were the reason why I have to buy a used copy of F-Zero X a few years ago and recently an unused copy of F-Zero Climax (no regrets)). I guess I'll try using an injected wad (it has the updated patch with custom banner).

To the guy behind this hack: Can you try to test this patch on a No-Intro rom? Goodtools only updates on the occasions while No-Intro does so frequently (plus some sites that have roms dump from Goodtools are only allowed to keep dumps with outdated hashfiles), which is why I prefer No-Intro over Goodset and haven't used the format in years. And to the mods, no, I'm not pointing out where I got the roms from. I already own F-Zero X legally and am waiting for Climax to come to the mail.

Philippe Brodier
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

I don't have any No-Intro rom of F-Zero X to try to make a patch that works with FZX Climax and I don't knew about the No Intro roms until I read your message. Since the US and JPN patch of the game are made from regular .Z64 version of the FZX roms I'm not sure I can make a No-Intro rom works with the patch. I'm sorry but I won't take the time it takes to extract/re-inject every GFX/compressed FZXC files in a FZX No-Intro rom to create a new version of the pacth for FZX No-Intro rom only. First because it's a very long job, that's also I why I didn't made a PAL version of the patch back in 2013 and because my goal was to make the patchs work with regular roms on the n64 hardware and they do, as for emulators, I think FZX Climax work like FZX on most emulators, I didn't try other Emulator than project 64 1.6 with it (works fine) so I have no idea how the patched roms work on the other emulator. 

RandomSnatcher
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post
Philippe Brodier wrote:

I don't have any No-Intro rom of F-Zero X to try to make a patch that works with FZX Climax and I don't knew about the No Intro roms until I read your message. Since the US and JPN patch of the game are made from regular .Z64 version of the FZX roms I'm not sure I can make a No-Intro rom works with the patch. I'm sorry but I won't take the time it takes to extract/re-inject every GFX/compressed FZXC files in a FZX No-Intro rom to create a new version of the pacth for FZX No-Intro rom only. First because it's a very long job, that's also I why I didn't made a PAL version of the patch back in 2013 and because my goal was to make the patchs work with regular roms on the n64 hardware and they do, as for emulators, I think FZX Climax work like FZX on most emulators, I didn't try other Emulator than project 64 1.6 with it (works fine) so I have no idea how the patched roms work on the other emulator. 

IIRC, there are some rom hacks that were initially designed for Goodset roms, but they also work on No-Intro roms as well, while some romhacks only work for certain emulators and not on actual hardware (Super Mario World rom hacks are kinda guilty for this).

I'm still waiting for Cen64 to get finished so it can curbstomp Project64, though for now Mupen64+ is already doing just that, despite being one of those emulators you have to use command prompt/terminal to get it to work.

Anyway, I installed the wad (I had to find it one way or the other) last night (Eastern Time Slot), and boy oh boy, this feels quite different from playing the actual F-Zero X game with the N64 controller (I'm using a Mayflash Gamecube adapter for Wii/Wii U). I'm pretty rusty when it comes to F-Zero X. Some of the A.I. fall off after hitting the last ramp on the first Mute City track.

Philippe Brodier
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

In 2014 I found out where the 26 F-Zero X tracks are stored. In a pretty funny process I managed to mod them at first creating ugly death tracks after ugly death tracks from the original one and then after trying again a few months later in early 2015 I managed to replace them all without using the level editor. I did create two new tracks back then, new death track and also a new finish track for F-Zero X Climax, now all the levels are modded. 

Then in 2015 the Expansion kit was dumped and Zoinkity made that very cool combo with the rom. He also made an English version of the Kit. At first I wanted to do it myself but in the end I'm happy that he made it, the font he used isn't the original but it looks fine to me, he did a very goog job. I was frustrated because I couldn't find a way to make the combo works on my cpu or backup device all the time. Of course I wanted to create an Expansion Kit version of F-Zero X Climax, can't without something to play the modded combo. Finally  someone lend me a pal 64drive during last week so I decided that it was time to make it. I wanted to create 12 more tracks for the Expansion but unfortunatly, and that's bad news, I can't mod them, the EK says bad data and don't even want to load the rest of the DD cups tracks. That sucks, a lot. Also just like when you use the Jpn version of FZX Climax with a 64dd+Expansion Kit, the names of the custom tracks are back to normal, same for the musics and background pictures. I said myself, at least I can change the names of the tracks using HeX editing ... Nope ! Doesn't work, don't know why, may be a problem with the boot code of the combo. I hope I'll could fix that.

Anyway I decide to share the 1.2 versions of FZX Climax and also the Expansion Kit version I worked on last week. 

http://www.emulation64.fr/?page=download&id=256

Now that death track and that run ... Well it wasn't an easy job to create a good new Death race after thinking about it for a while I made this one, I hope you'll like it. It uses "hidden" textures that was already in the game, it looks really different from the rest of the tracks. Beating the other machine is easy at first but then they go very fast so the strat I used in the video can be really efficient. Cool move at the end of the video ; )

Finally no video with the Expansion Kit version of Climax. I didn't manage to avoid black and white from a pal console with a ntsc game.

pingosimon
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

Oh my god!  I want to play this so badly!

Sorry, I do feel bad just coming to a new forum asking for things.  But is there some sort of easy guide on how to play this on a N64?  I know all the info must be on the forum somewhere, but a lot of the posts are old, buried, etc.  Plus there are so many options, maybe some have changed lately.  It'd be great if there was a straight forward "buy this and this, and follow these instructions on how to load it".

Hot_Violet
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

Philippe, thank you so much for your continued work on this project.  Every time I boot it up it blows me away.  The amount of work you've put into this is great.  You, sir, are a very dedicated individual! Smile

Philippe Brodier
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

Thank you for that very encouraging comment !

Hot_Violet
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post
Philippe Brodier wrote:

Thank you for that very encouraging comment !

You're most welcome. Smile

Index » F-Zero X » F-Zero X Climax, a new F-Zero X on Nintendo 64 Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next