Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
Latest Times Your Latest Times Your Ranking Summary
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » FZC General Forum » The next F-Zero - post news / rumours here
TBK
Janitor
The next F-Zero - post news / rumours here
Reply to this Post

It seems like we have a bunch of topics spread throughout this forum but let's use this one to keep the community informed about everything new that pops up on the internet regarding a possible new game. I'll summarize the bit of news we had over the past years:

Back in May 2011 Sega Producer Osamu Ohashi had the following to say on the matter:

Ohashi: It might happen, if someone comes up with a brilliant idea that would make both Nintendo and SEGA happy. If there’s a good idea, that will work for both of us, then we might do that. But as far as we know, we haven’t heard of any concrete plan or project that’s going on.

Nothing materialized out of that statement.

Then in April 2012 Miyamoto addressed the novelty of the very first game when it came out and explained how he expects to have similar elements of surprise in a new title and that there might be a possiblity for that on the Wii U:

Miyamoto: I think at the time it was a really big surprise, a new thing, a product that made sense. I don’t see with current hardware how you could create a similar surprise. But maybe with future hardware, with Wii U coming up, maybe we could create something that does make sense, either as a smaller game, or a fully fledged title.

In November 2012 GameKult approached him again asking about the future of the franchise:

GameKult: After a quick survey on Twitter, one of the games French gamers miss the most is F Zero. Nobody really understands why Nintendo hasn’t made a new one since 2004. Is there a chance we can see it back on Wii U?

Miyamoto: [eyes open wide] I am really pleased to hear Twitter’s opinion, because since the first episode on SNES many games have been made but the series has evolved very little. I thought people had grown weary of it. I’d like to say: Thank you very much and try to wait by playing Nintendo Land’s F-Zero mini-game. I am also very curious and I’d like to ask those people: Why F-Zero? What do you want that we haven’t done before?

A few months later when it got apparent that the new Mario Kart game for the Wii U adopted some futuristic mechanics that reminded fans a lot of F-Zero, IGN asked him what this means for the F-Zero franchise:

Miyamoto: I certainly understand that people want a new F-Zero game. I think where I struggle is that I don't really have a good idea for what's new that we could bring to F-Zero that would really turn it into a great game again. Certainly I can see how people looking at Mario Kart 8 could see, through the anti-gravity, a connection to F-Zero. But I don't know, at this point, what direction we could go in with a new F-Zero.

Obviously in the past we've tried to work with other companies, where we've let them develop games for us in franchises like Star Fox and F-Zero, but the more we think about it, the more we prefer to be able to create those games internally, on our own. We've obviously, as I mentioned, been working on what we can do to increase our internal staff in a way that will allow us to have more projects going at the same time, so we can create new games and work on additional old IP and still maintain the other primary franchises that people want to see.

In July 2013 Hideki Konno, the producer of Mario Kart 8 for the Wii U, was being asked about the reasons why Mario Kart and F-Zero are so far apart on the priority list:

Konno: We always have a Mario Kart per console, so we wanted to make a new entry to interest more people further in the new console. But I hope that there will be a new F-Zero.

The same month shin'en Multimedia was asked via twitter if they'd develop a new F-Zero if Nintendo gave the go ahead. Here's what they had to say:

Shin'en: We would appreciate a lot their trust in us but would most likely decline. We currently feel like having first to achieve our own legendary games.

Smosh Games interviewed Shigeri Miyamoto and it got to the topic of F-Zero. Transcript of what was said:

Smosh Games: Outside of Mario Kart, one of my favourite games is F-Zero. I was wondering if we're gonna see Captain Falcon, even Samus and Mr Saturn. Maybe we'll see them getting some more games in the near future?

Miyamoto: I actually made F-Zero first. And then after we made F-Zero we made Mario Kart.

Smosh Games: Yeah we were talking about that today.

Miyamoto: But we see a lot of other designers who are making kind of more traditional racing-styled games. So we've tried to focus on something that feels a little bit more gamey.

Smosh Games: That's what makes it more fun.

Miyamoto: So maybe if we create a new type of controller interface and we find a controller interface that is particularly suited for F-Zero then we'll do something again with it in the future.

Smosh Games: There is a lot of fun things you can do with the gamepad, so it makes sense.

Miyamoto: Actually, the lead designer on F-Zero who I worked with on the original is Mr. Imamura and I worked together with him  also on the original Star Fox games. Right now the 2 of us are busy working on the next Star Fox game.

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Re: The next F-Zero - post news / rumours here
Reply to this Post

i wasn't aware of the last 2 quotes.

seems that the series is dead in the water if no one with power within Nintendo wants a new installment done.

i wonder what happened with Tadashi Sugiyama. he was one of the few that cared a lot about the series. you can see how much he put into FZX going by how many things are credited to him in that game.

"Patience is useful in any moment"
LazloFalconi
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post
TBK wrote:

Miyamoto: . I am also very curious and I’d like to ask those people: Why F-Zero? What do you want that we haven’t done before?

Really? All you need to do to make "the best F-Zero game" is to port F-Zero GX to Wii U with new tracks and add a track editor and everybody would loose their minds and go crazy over the best F-Zero game yet. I don't think F-Zero is the type of game that needs to be radically different each time, I mean, heck. Look at those Madden games, they make tonnes of money every year. All I'm asking for is an HD update to F-Zero for this decade.

Naegleria
Janitor
Reply to this Post

"What do you want that we haven’t done before?"

Like every mario kart game

Chemich
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post
Naegleria wrote:

"What do you want that we haven’t done before?"

Like every mario kart game

QFT.

Also F-Zero GX HD would be a fairly good idea, just spruce it up a bit and and some more zazz. Would be a hit seller, and then I would finally have a reason to get a WiiU. Hopefully they'd at least include a bundle with a controller or something, couldn't imagine playing that on an oversized BabbyStationPortable.

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

the gamepad works exactly the same as a regular controller. this isn't like the wii remote that lacked some buttons.

"Patience is useful in any moment"
KOSBY
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

They just took the anti-gravity stuff from F-Zero and put into Mario Kart 8......

lfelipe
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

Recently Smosh Games uploaded a video on Youtube, where they played with Shigeru Miyamoto.

They were talking in a Q&A and the F-Zero topic came out, Miyamoto stated that they would return F-Zero if they made another comfortable controller (Like SSB4).

It can be heard at 5:21: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=untLD6z6aqI#t=325

TBK
Janitor
Reply to this Post

Thanks for that update, transcribed the relevant bit into the original post.

Mandalore
Jet Vermilion
Reply to this Post

A shame nothing came of this.

Evil_Superstar
Blue Falcon
Reply to this Post

I think now's a better time than ever for a new F-Zero. The fresh batch of big name racing games (Gran Turismo Sport, Forza 7 and Project Cars 2) are all pushing e-sport racing, which hasn't been that much of thing up until now. Would be a shame for Nintendo to miss out on, when they're sitting on F-Zero. The Switch is doing exceptionally well, so a racing equivalent of Smash or Splatoon on it, seems like a no-brainer. E-sports continue to grow...

Index » FZC General Forum » The next F-Zero - post news / rumours here