F-Zero MV
F-Zero X
F-Zero GX
F-Zero SNES
F-Zero Climax F-Zero GP Legend F-Zero MV F-Zero X F-Zero GX F-Zero SNES
Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
SNES Rules Resources Videos Ladder Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero SNES » Anyone ever try this for trials?
zewing
Golden Fox
Anyone ever try this for trials?
Reply to this Post

This may sound like a dumb thing, but it's something id be interesting in knowing.

Most time trials are done via Opening Lap, followed by 4 one-boost laps.  Then, we have a part dedicated to fast laps, most commonly known as 4ish boost laps (1 boost leaks into lap, with 3 more being used).

Well, we all know what the sum of best for OL + 4 one boost laps are, but what about two boost laps and three boost laps, coupled in?

What I mean is, what would sum of best be for:

OL (set in stone due to edward / legend) and 4 1 boost laps (already up on site),

OL, 2 one boost laps, 1 two boost lap, 1 no boost lap

OL, 1 one boost lap, 1 three boost lap, 2 no boost laps

OL, 1 flap, 3 no boost laps

Its really weird to explain, but basically what would the sum of best be if you allocate the 4 boosts you get into some multi boost and no boost laps.  I can think of a couple courses where no boost laps won't affect much, but thats something a more experience runner would know.  This is just some weird thought process i came up with a bit ago that I think could lead to new, possibly faster way of doing courses.  

More likely than not, this would be a waste of time, but if it does lead to something, then thatd be insane

E_Dragon
Fire Stingray
Re: Anyone ever try this for trials?
Reply to this Post

I don´t know much about F-zero SNES, but afaik there is one optimal spot on each track, where you should use your boost and since you reach that spot once each lap, you want to use one boost there.

I think using multiple boosts in one lap is only better, if you don´t exit the boost with  <478 or if there is a part of the track where you need 2 boosts to get through (a long dirt part, that you can not pass with one single boost) , but idk if something like this exists there (probably not ?).

edward406
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

I tried to brainstorm this a bit one time too. Sadly, using one boost on each lap after the opener will always be optimal for 5-lap runs. As E_Dragon said, there is one spot in each track where you can optimally use a boost. Being you have four boosts in one race and four opportunities to use the optimal spot, one boost laps are the way to go.

"It's the F-Zero spirit!" -Yazzo
Naegleria
Janitor
Reply to this Post

Is there any level where a 2-boost lap and a 0-boost lap would be faster?

edward406
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post
Naegleria wrote:

Is there any level where a 2-boost lap and a 0-boost lap would be faster?

Unfortunately no. Here is a mathematical perspective on what I mean:

On any given track there is one optimal spot to use a boost and any other spot will always save less time.

Let’s say the optimal spot saves .50 seconds, and the second best spot saves .45 seconds. If you use two boosts on one lap, you can only use the most optimal spot once. This then means you must also use the second most optimal spot. In this scenario, you will save .95 on the first lap, and then .00 on the second lap. You will net .95 seconds saved over those two laps.

In an alternate scenario, if you use the optimal spot on the first lap and the second lap as well, you will save .50 seconds on each lap and net 1.00 seconds saved over those two laps.

The best way to look at is there are as many boosts as there are opportunities to use the optimal spot (4 boosts, 4 opportunities) in a 5 lap race. Each opportunity shows up one lap at a time, and therefore each boost gets used optimally one lap at a time.

"It's the F-Zero spirit!" -Yazzo
Naegleria
Janitor
Reply to this Post

Any maps that have 2 shortcuts, each requiring a boost?  I'm guessing there isn't.

zewing
Golden Fox
Reply to this Post

Flaps would give an idea on shortcuts.  For 2 shortcuts in 1 lap, MC1-3 has them, though the one shortcut is a very tricky rail cut

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

the idea of using one boost per lap in 5lap times and multiple boosts in 1 lap for a flap is pretty old.

it's only in very recent games where using multiple boosts per lap in a course record can be faster than just doing 1 per lap (like some of the newest Mario Karts)

the track designs for most F-Zero games don't allow for this sadly. i bet many have experimented with the idea decades ago.

"Patience is useful in any moment"
   Index » F-Zero SNES » Anyone ever try this for trials?