F-Zero MV
F-Zero X
F-Zero GX
F-Zero SNES
F-Zero Climax F-Zero GP Legend F-Zero MV F-Zero X F-Zero GX F-Zero SNES
Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
Latest Times Your Latest Times Your Ranking Summary
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » FZC General Forum » F-Zero in 2015 marathons (AGDQ, SGDQ, ESA) Goto page 1, 2  Next
yoshifan
Fire Stingray
F-Zero in 2015 marathons (AGDQ, SGDQ, ESA)
Reply to this Post

Thought I'd reach out and see if anyone has particular plans on this. For those unfamiliar, these are week-long live speedrun marathons that raise money for charity: Awesome Games Done Quick (January in Washington DC, USA), Summer Games Done Quick (June-July in Denver, Colorado, USA), and European Speedster Assembly (July-August in Skövde, Sweden). These three events are pretty much the biggest stage for showcasing video game speedruns. They're also a great opportunity for speedrunners (or time attackers in our case) to meet and hang out.

In particular, I want to point out that AGDQ's submissions are coming up fast - they'll be open from August 16 to September 3, as explained here: https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/agdq_2015_game_submissions_will_open_august_16th_at_3pm_edt.html

It was great how we got an F-Zero block going at AGDQ 2014, even if it had to be split up a bit in the end; and it was definitely fun to meet a lot of F-Zero players in the same event. I'm wondering if we want to organize something similar in 2015. It doesn't necessarily have to be AGDQ; maybe we can use this thread to figure out which events everyone can go to (or already plans to go to).

Right now I want to attend one marathon in 2015, but I haven't decided which. I am willing to attend any of AGDQ, SGDQ, or ESA. I most likely won't be submitting any games myself. If I attend an event with some F-Zero players, I'll bring my laptop and capture equipment to help record versus matches!

Valyssa
Wild Goose
Re: F-Zero in 2015 marathons (AGDQ, SGDQ, ESA)
Reply to this Post

Personally I've been planning to go to ESA in 2015 for a while now. I already talked with a few other people about meeting up there, so that's definetly something I want to do. Currently I cannot afford it, but I'm working on getting a job to make it possible. I will most likely submit F-Zero GX Staff Ghosts for the marathon and maybe a non-F-Zero game too. Also if someone like CGN were to offer GX instead I would of course prefer he did it. Either way, I would love if we could get some multiplayer matches going for both GX and X.

As much as I would love to go to a GDQ, it is significantly more expensive so that would not be a possibility for me. Maybe sometime in the future, but definetly not 2015.

E_Dragon
Fire Stingray
Reply to this Post

I am currently thinking about going to ESA in 2015 too. I would offer GX and X (if I get much better since then off course) and I would really enjoy any race those games (I wouldn´t even mind to get destroyed by CGN on stream Very Happy ).

Meeting with other F-zero ppl. and playing multiplayer would be awesome, so I am really looking forward to do something about it.

However I am a complete noob, when it goes to the speedrunning community generally, as I am very new and not quite involved in this community so far.

Also I don´t know how much this will cost and if I really have time for this, because I will be going to university soon.

But I will have enough time to decide it myself since then I guess.

As for a GDQ I feel the same as Vallkyr, so I will likely enjoy watching the F-zero Block at AGDQ 2015.

Yazzo
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

I definitely want to attend one of these events at least once in my life-time. I guess it makes more sense to go to ESA for me. Not just because I'm a Swede, but also because I probably would have better chances to get any of the games (the three GBA games and maybe also FZSNES) I'd like to run accepted there. It didn't go so well with AGDQ last time so I think my chances to have a game for that are next to none, and just going there without any games to run doesn't feel like it's worth the expensive trip. Though I could be wrong.

AKC12
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

I'm uncertain whether or not I should send a submission for AGDQ mainly because I currently am looking for a full time job, so I'm not sure if I will get time off for the week. If some GX players attend either AGDQ or SGDQ then I will plan to attend one of those events.

All of my GX times with various machines: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12c92zTykQvGwPoCU6yGuOb7lwxFENUC9ELbHZcse1qE/
mtthew
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

No harm in trying, AKC; I think it's generally accepted that people can submit and then withdraw if/when real life intrudes. 

I'd be very tempted by ESA, but yeah, all depends what my money looks like in a year's time.

Naegleria
Janitor
Reply to this Post
mtthew wrote:

No harm in trying, AKC; I think it's generally accepted that people can submit and then withdraw if/when real life intrudes.I'd be very tempted by ESA, but yeah, all depends what my money looks like in a year's time.

Yea, I'd recommend everyone submit if they have the possibility of going.  We could even put on a marathon to raise money to send runners to AGDQ if money is the issue.  I got shot down for F-Zero GX, but I don't think that was because the uyamanati doesn't want GX, rather they just don't want me running it.  F-Zero Climax and F-Zero are already past the 1st round of cuts, so there is definetly a chance other games can get in.

zewing
Golden Fox
Reply to this Post

I submitted GX, but the odds of me even attending are very slim if I get no support since I'm in the process of paying off loans.  Either way, if GX gets in I'll be grinding this an insane amount until I get confirmations it makes it past first or second round.  Would be nice to show off non story for this game too.

Naegleria
Janitor
Reply to this Post

A few potential runners would only be able to go if they had the money, any interest in a FZC marathon to pay for airfare and travel stuff?

zewing
Golden Fox
Reply to this Post

F-Zero, F-Zero X, F-Zero GX, and F-Zero Climax have all made it past the first cuts of AGDQ15.

Yazzo
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

Yup, very nice to see! Let's see how many of them will make it past the 2nd cut.

Also, a marathon to raise marathon to pay for airfare and travel stuff could be cool. It would just take a lot of effort organizing it I imagine, but if anyone wants to take the lead then I'm there to support it.

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

that made me think, have we ever had a complete series marathon before?

seeing how making marathons through online only is possible nowadays, it's be nice if we could get something going. since the games are few, we could have multiple categories from many of them to make it last longer.

the thing is that someone with really good internet would need to be the host since that's one of the most critical aspects.

"Patience is useful in any moment"
Valyssa
Wild Goose
Reply to this Post
UchihaSasuke wrote:

that made me think, have we ever had a complete series marathon before?

Actually I did one of those myself, but I'm bad at 4/6 games, so it would be really cool to see them done properly in a marathon.

I think we could copy the TSC marathon format and split it over a couple of days with several hours a day. I feel that, even with extra categories, the marathon wouldn't last longer than a day. Some of the games can't really be extended much though.

Here's my ideas for categories :
SNES All Cups - Maybe another run with the worst machine, or heck, a run with each of the 4 machines
X All Cups and Staff Ghosts
MV All Cups - No idea how to extend this, as the different difficulties don't change anything about that tracks
GX Story mode, All Cups and Staff Ghosts - Maybe also do the different difficulties of Story mode
GPL All Cups - 2 runs on different difficulties to show off all tracks. Story Mode speedrun aswell? Not sure if the format really works for it
Climax All Cups - Same as GPL, but 3 runs. Also possibly a run of all Survival difficulties
Would be cool if we could get BS F-Zero Grand Prix 2 in aswell, not sure if anyone really runs it though

Yazzo
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

We could also have races. Then maybe have commentators for the races as well to bring some hype to it. I think that could work pretty well if executed well, just would be hard to set up I suppose.

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

if the worst scenario pans out for BS F-Zero, we could allow Everdrive or even emulator for it.

also, you forgot the EK. that can extend FZX by 50-60% at least.

also, we could include some unusual categories like 1-hand all cups in GX.

"Patience is useful in any moment"
Naegleria
Janitor
Reply to this Post

I always like watching people making tracks in the F-Zero X Expansion Kit Track Editor.  This kinda marathon should show off all the aspects of the games, including te cool stuff like the track editor.

WMJ
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

I think this marathon is a good idea for multiple reasons. I would be more than willing to participate and run a few games in it. I can do F-Zero X (EK), track editor as wel as BS F-Zero 2 (on console with flashcart) if people like to see that

Naegleria
Janitor
Reply to this Post

We should make a spreadsheet/form of everyones availability over October and start seeing what dates are best.

zewing
Golden Fox
Reply to this Post

Not sure if this is official, but I think the push back for 2nd round of cuts will be on the 23rd, not the 21st due to some back end problems on SDA.

I'd imagine we're waiting on 2nd cuts before any planning begins?  Hopefully we get a best case scenario since we like to go fast.

zewing
Golden Fox
Reply to this Post

F-zero, F-zero X, F-zero Climax, and F-zero GX have all been confirmed to be on the schedule for AGDQ15, barring any unexpected drop outs from the runners.  

That being said, who would want to start planning and F-Zero marathon to help the runners get to AGDQ?  I've talked a little with some people, and, unless things change, the marathon would be hosted on fzerocentral's own twitch channel and we could probably request the marathon to be on the frong page of twitch from Romscout.  I sadly cannot partake in this marathon unless a GX runner is absolutely required, but would someone like to initate some planning?  The sooner the better, and who can resist an f-zero marathon?

Index » FZC General Forum » F-Zero in 2015 marathons (AGDQ, SGDQ, ESA) Goto page 1, 2  Next