X Rules Resources Videos Ladders Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero X » 64DD dumps complete Goto page Previous  1, 2
fzeroman
Black Bull
64DD dumps complete
Reply to this Post
Root Topic

Apparently the news is a month old but new dumps for 64dd games have been made available!

I dont know if i should link to the forums of the news or not,I would link to 64dd.net but apparently the site is down.

mhp
Mr. EAD
Re: 64DD dumps complete
Reply to this Post
I don't know how things work? Zoinkity claims he "intermeshed" data in the unused parts of LBAs. He didn't. He copied the cart audio to $10E8. He put object data in some unused LBAs at $EF6B48. Not the ends of them, completely unused ones. All other cart data was copied to the end of ROM. IPL audio isn't used. He copied the IPL font part to $3D7A028 and didn't even need to. That is only used for disk error messages. The "translation" just mixed up the order of cart files and copied resource tables from cart to disk. Fzerox uses a small table to know where to read all this from at $116C2D8 and you can see where everything is at there. I'd hardly call that amazing hacking skills. My kid sister can copy and paste. Only real text are the racer names. The track and car editor use images for all the labels. These are in the cart, we know they're in the cart, we found them in the cart and even proved they're used. Only untranslated text on the disk are the disk error messages. He used the Partner64 emulation tool to do the conversion. He can't convert Mario or Randnet because they don't use standard libraries and won't work with the tool. That magic bootstrap nonsense is just nonsense. If you load it in MAME you can look pass the encryption and see all he did was change the checksum algorithm and changed the entrypoint. It doesn't do anything special. And as for anti ED64 code $A8D158 tries to write an invalid command to the ED64 controller at B8000000. Maybe that works on old EDs but not on ED64v3. But he would like us all to believe we should pay more for an inferior product with fewer features and no support. Wonder how much of a kickback he gets for each sale.
LuigiBlood
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

IPL font only used for disk error messages, yeah, right. Did you use the map editor once in your life? And that's not the only message that uses IPL font in the map editor, you know?

Also, he can do Randnet. There's just no point in doing it, it requires Internet to work.

AND LOL ANTI ED64 CODE, it's FUCKING 64DRIVE COMMANDS. And don't tell me it's because he's a 64drive fan, because he's more than happy to know that it works on ED64 now, he used what he had. Is there a point in buying 2 flashcarts? Also the bootstrap is made for 64DD block reading, you clearly didn't look at it much. Look closely at how it works. Also, you should be angry at me for not making a 64DD dumper that works on the Everdrive 64. I didn't do it because I don't have it to begin with.

The worst part of you though: You just want attention over something that now, WORKS ON EVERYTHING. Be fucking happy about it, there's no point in proving something that's just not relevant at all anymore. Also, you're part of the minority who's angry about it.

And if you're so smart, and consider yourself a L33T HAXOR, try to convert Super Mario 64 Disk Version and Randnet, and tell me about it. Until then, that's my last post about this discussion that doesn't make any sense, and you should stop spouting nonsense.

mhp
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

The majority of people don't care at all.  They just want TEH ROMZ.  Even if you do care sceners have hoarded vital info on the system making it hard to even know where to get started.

Why so ticked at him?  My problem is he's claiming credit for something he didn't do again.  He copied and pasted Nintendo's translation for Sin and Punishment and claimed it was his original work.  He rode on the backs of real hackers like SubDrag and Wreck for years claiming credit for their work, and now he's claiming this is his own work too.  Yeah, ticked.

Last time he crossed the Fzerox community he was banned from Acmlm's Board for hacking Execution Project and releasing the track format against Guy Perfect's wishes.  His "track uploader" corrupted people's gamesharks and they became trash.  Nine years later he hasn't learned his lesson.

Let's look at that image.

cart and disk addresses for text in that picture

So to his credit he changed one string.  No Title.  Impressive work there.  Guess all the credit doesn't go to Nintendo after all.

The only fonts in that picture are the one for the track name which is on the cart and the one for numbers which is on the cart.  All other text are images on cart.

Philippe Brodier
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

mhp,

May be you can create a more accurate version of F-Zero X + Expansion Kit that includes original fonts from the US version of the FZX rom. A version that can be read by any emulator or backup device will be great. I don't know about the new version of the ED64 2.5, not sure if it saves all the data from the DD (modded tracks, machines) but 64drive doesn't atm, full save on all support will be nice addition. 

I tried but didn't manage to change the 12 DD tracks on the combo of F-Zero X Climax and couldn't Hex editing the rom and use it on a pal 64 drive may be you can help ? 

You talked about Zoinkity hacking the FZEP execution project, well unless Guy Perfect did it himself I hope that someone will hack his tool or better create a new one with features like Expansion Kit combo load/save tracks and load/save textures packs (edition of every single textures/fonts of the game could be awesome too), the possibility to exchange textures from the game like BGNG did with the alpha version of his editor or just editing the death race and finish track. Yes, please someone, do that. JUST DO IT ! Make my dream come true, so DO IT !

mhp
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

The expansion disk checks the checksum part of the track file.  It's the four bytes at +4 in the file.

800BEA18 generates it, so you can find out what a file's checksum should be by setting a breakpoint at 800BEE08 and reading the value in V0.

This isn't exact but should be close to what is used in the game.  Obviously you need to make it into real code.

crc = nodes
for i in range(nodes):
    xpos, ypos, zpos, width_l, width_r, track_type = crs.node[i]
    width_r *= 5.5 + (i * 0.8)
    width_r *= 4.8
    track_type *= 0xFE - i
    zpos *= 2.2 + (i * 1.2)
    zpos *= 4.4 + (i * 0.9)
    ypos *= 1.1 + (i * 0.7)
    crc += xpos + ypos + zpos + width_l + width_r + track_type
    crc += banking[i<<1:i<<1 + 2] * (0x93DE - i<<1)
for i in range(nodes):
    crc += crs.recharge[i] * i
    crc += crs.boost[i] * (i + 0x10)
    crc += crs.dirt[i] * (i + 0x80)
    crc += crs.ice[i] * (i + 0x100)
    crc += crs.ramps[i-1] * (i + 0x800)
    crc += crs.mines[i-1] * (i + 0x1000)
    crc += crs.gates[i-1] * (i + 0x8000)
    crc += crs.bgs[i-1] * (i + 0x10000)
    crc += crs.signs[i-1] * (i + 0x80000)
return crc

Philippe Brodier
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

I'm not sure I really understand every things you said as it requires advanced programming skills, it just seems complicated to do all that. Changing values for each objects, points,boosts ... has to be very long and I'm not sure I can make it anyway, seems too difficult for me. Thank you for the answer anyway. I'll may need your help if someday I want to try that.

mhp
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

Let the game do it for you.

Step 1: copy your track into the expansion game hack.

Step 2: from a command line start Mame using "MAME64.exe n64 -debug -cart <path to the hacked game>"

Step 3: when the debug window appears press F5 to start the game.

Step 4: go into the in game editor, choose load, and roll down to the slot for your track.  Don't load it yet.

Step 5: in that debug window in the lower right is a box you can type into.  Type "bpset 800BEE08" and press enter.

Step 6: load the track.  The game will stop almost instantly.

Step 7: type "print V0" into the box and press enter.  That's the checksum for the file.

Step 8: close the game and copy the 4 byte checksum into the file at +4 in the file.

Philippe Brodier
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

Thank you again for the reply and the Help mhp.

Reading your reply it doesn't look that difficult for me anymore. I try that method during the weekend to see how it works for me but I need to find something back to run the expansion kit combo to test that on emu or console. Or I manage to make the rom runs on emu or I try to get back the Pal 64drive for another week or I'll get an everdrive 2.5 soon, I'll see.

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

is there a way for someone to do their own dump of the EK? also, would said dump contain all the tracks currently saved to the disk?

i ask because that's the only feasible way to have a backup of all the stuff i have in the disk (outside copying everything manually but still i'd be unable to back up the TA ghosts).

"Patience is useful in any moment"
Philippe Brodier
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

You can dump your EK  with a NTSC 64drive,  a tool is available on 64dd.org to do that.

I think it's ok for a backup but as of now you can't rewrite it on a gray disk (there are good chances it will never happen) but may be it's possible to use the dump another way, I think exchanging tracks between EK dumps won't work since we have that problem I spoke on that topic with mhp but may be I can find a way to save each custom tracks from an EK dump to make them usable with the fzep level editor on regular FZX roms at least.

I just need an EK dump rom full of custom track to try that. Unfortunatly the 64drive someone lend me for a week recently was pal and I couldn't try that with my own EKs.

What backup device do you use Uchiha ? May be you can try.

Also, I think Wouter has a 64drive, may be he can try that dump tool with his EK. Anyway if I'll manage to use an EK dump to copy its custom tracks it will have to be much faster than rebuilding the all tracks on the Fzep level editor which is long and boring.

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

i only have an everdrive. someone would need to make a dumping tool for that.

i don't mind if it isn't possible to copy tracks to other EKs and stuff since all i want is a way to have some sort of backup of my tracks + ghosts. extracting them should become possible eventually (i really hope someone makes something that can play a ghost's movement in a live time attack runl so that i can have high quality versions of my records)

"Patience is useful in any moment"
Philippe Brodier
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

"someone would need to make a dumping tool for that"

I hope LuigiBlood will make an everdrive friendly version of his tools someday as I plan to get an Everdrive 2.5 this year, mostly because is it's cheaper than a 64drive plus it has cheat codes and pal/ntsc switch.

Wouter, got a ntsc 64drive ? Can you try the dump tool with your EK ?

LuigiBlood
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post
Philippe Brodier wrote:

"someone would need to make a dumping tool for that"

I hope LuigiBlood will make an everdrive friendly version of his tools someday as I plan to get an Everdrive 2.5 this year, mostly because is it's cheaper than a 64drive plus it has cheat codes and pal/ntsc switch.

Wouter, got a ntsc 64drive ? Can you try the dump tool with your EK ?

I wish I can but I don't have a ED64 to work with. And SD card writing is rather too low level for me. Though, I made the source of the dumper available, but no one edited the code for Everdrive 64. If someone does that I can upload the homebrew to my website and push it.

I managed to make a version for 64drive because I had help from 64drive's developer for it.

mhp
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

I've been trying to help everyone to be able to replace tracks and track names but haven't had luck.  The track checksums don't come out the same on PC due to the DRM zoinkity added in, and the DRM prevents you making changes to the game. The DRM is protected by some encryption that MAME undoes, but unless somebody can figure out how to remove that encryption or reencrypt everything this hack is less than useless.

I've asked zoinkity how to remove it but he refuses to answer emails.

Anyone had any luck removing it so the game can be edited?

Philippe Brodier
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

I'm not sure someone on the site is qualified to help you on this, I can't, only Zoinkity seems to be able to do that on his hack. He didn't reply to a mail I send him either. Luigiblood communicate with him, may he can help.

Index » F-Zero X » 64DD dumps complete Goto page Previous  1, 2