F-Zero MV
F-Zero X
F-Zero GX
F-Zero SNES
F-Zero Climax F-Zero GP Legend F-Zero MV F-Zero X F-Zero GX F-Zero SNES
Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
Latest Times Your Latest Times Your Ranking Summary
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » FZC General Forum » F-Zero Marathon (2016 May 14-16)
WMJ
Staff Ghost
F-Zero Marathon (2016 May 14-16)
Reply to this Post

Watch
http://www.twitch.tv/fzerocentral

Where
Awesome Space, Utrecht, The Netherlands 

http://awesomespace.nl/ 

Marco Pololaan 8, 3526GJ, Utrecht

Dates
The marathon will take place in the weekend of 13 - 16th of May 2016.
Marathon stream will run from Saturday May 14th to Sunday May 15th 2016
Awesome Space is booked for the F-Zero meet from Friday May 13th 7pm to Monday May 16th 7 pm.

If you arrive earlier in the day on Friday that's no problem but let me know by pm I can give you my address since I will be at home which can also easily be reached from Utrecht CS.

Marathon objective
The main goal of the marathon is for F-Zero players to meet and have fun! Last year’s online F-Zero Marathon was a great success. Now, we would like to organize a big F-Zero marathon where as many players as possible can meet. This will be a great opportunity for multiplayer sessions and even whole tournaments to be put on stream! 

F-Zero X Expansion Kit owners: this will be the perfect opportunity to exchange tracks with other players! 

Run Submissions 
The type of runs for the stream can be anything from 4 player multiplayer to time attack sessions. Anything F-Zero related is welcome. 
If you would like to contribute a run to the stream make sure to contact the organizers with the type of run and a good estimate of the run time. If possible include your personal best time for the run. 
All F-Zero games are welcome to the marathon, including popular hacks such as F-Zero X Climax. 

Schedule 

http://www.speedrun.com/f-zero_marathon/schedule

Housing 

The free housing available will be at my house. Sleeping facilities are free for everyone but you will need to bring your own sleeping gear (inflatable bed, sleeping bag etc.). It is about a 10 min drive away and we are currently short on cars to make the transport between Awesome Space and my place easy. If you come with a car please let me know. Otherwise there's the option of renting an additional car but that comes with a small cost (split over everyone).

If you would like to attend the event you can register and submit runs you like to contribute by contacting me directly. You can also send an email to fzeromarathon (at) gmail.com
To have enough preparation time, make the schedule and get a clear picture on how many people will be attending I need to know who is planning to attend and contribute runs some time in advance.

Registration and run submission deadline February 15th 2016 (extended March 7th!) Now closed

Confirmed participants 

WMJ 
KVD
MeridianPrime
Vallkyr
BPA
TBK
E-Dragon
J4sp3rr
Partystar
Moreno
Daniel
Edward406
Philippe
Hiipfire

Remote Runners
Yoshifan
Naegleria
AKC12
superSANIC
FoREVer4258
UchihaSasuke

Organisers/ contacts 
WMJ (Twitch: WMJspeedruns) 
Meridianprime ( Twitter : NLG_Meridian Twitch: meridianprime) 
KVD ( Twitter : KarelvanD, Twitch: smk_machine) 
J4sp3rr (Twitter: J4sp3rr, Twitch: J4sp3rr)

Contact info 
To register for the event and submit runs send me a PM or an email to this gmail address: fzeromarathon 
Discuss the meet on the F-Zero Central Discord: https://discord.gg/0SjuQvhyEztsO9Qg

Any suggestions or remarks are welcome!

Update 19-01-2016
After some feedback the date for the event is now final. The venue has been reserved for the weekend of 13 – 16 May 2016. 
This date was chosen because Monday the 16th is a holiday in many countries including The Netherlands so that should make it easier for people to attend and deal with traveling. We also try not to conflict with other speedrun marathon events.

Marathon stream will run from Saturday May 14th to Sunday May 15th. 
If you would like to attend the event you can register and submit runs you like to contribute by contacting me directly. You can also send an email to fzeromarathon (at) gmail.com
To have enough preparation time, make the schedule and get a clear picture on how many people will be attending I need to know who is planning to attend and contribute runs some time in advance.

Registration and run submission deadline February 15th 2016 (extended March 7th!) Now closed

Additional note for people that can’t make it to the event:

There will be a limited number of slots available for remote streamers that would really like to contribute to the marathon. For example, as participants in a race with people on site.

There will be some hours in the night (TBD) CEST+1 that will be free. We cannot monitor those hours as of now as this is only a small event run by a small group of people. If anyone is willing to volunteer that can manage tech issues in those hours to make those slots available for remote runners that would be fantastic. We can provide some tech guidelines to help out with that as well before the marathon. Otherwise we will do our best to run a highlight reel of some noteworthy F-Zero runs during those hours.

FighBat
Staff Ghost
Re: F-Zero Central Marathon 2016
Reply to this Post

Wish I could meet all you guys, but sadly money is tight for me 😢

Although I do hope to see some of you guys at a future GDQ though

WMJ
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

Update 19-01-2016
After some feedback the date for the event is now final. The venue has been reserved for the weekend of 13 – 16 May 2016. 
This date was chosen because Monday the 16th is a holiday in many countries including The Netherlands so that should make it easier for people to attend and deal with traveling. We also try not to conflict with other speedrun marathon events.

Marathon stream will run from Saturday May 14th to Sunday May 15th. 

Registration and run submission deadline February 15th 2016

Additional note for people that can’t make it to the event:

There will be a limited number of slots available for remote streamers that would really like to contribute to the marathon. For example, as participants in a race with people on site.

There will be some hours in the night (TBD) CEST+1 that will be free. We cannot monitor those hours as of now as this is only a small event run by a small group of people. If anyone is willing to volunteer that can manage tech issues in those hours to make those slots available for remote runners that would be fantastic. We can provide some tech guidelines to help out with that as well before the marathon. Otherwise we will do our best to run a highlight reel of some noteworthy F-Zero runs during those hours.

E_Dragon
Fire Stingray
Reply to this Post

13-16th May is currently free for me, so I can attend the event and I guess I will register with that. It may be possible that something can interrupt it, but it's pretty unlikely and I will inform you if I can't attend.

Regarding runs. I can do any sort of F-zero GX max speed runs, so story mode vh, all cups and all staffs and races if anyone else wants to.

For F-zero X I'm decent at the game and I can make runs of it (all staffs and all cups no EK ), but I'm not good enough to challenge any of the top 3, so picking someone else would be a better choice imo.

However I'd gladly join a race or a tournament for this game Wink .

WMJ
Staff Ghost
F-Zero Marathon (May 14-16) Registration deadline March 7th
Reply to this Post

Thanks a lot to everybody who has registered so far and submitted runs. I think with the current players it will be an awesome meet for sure! Very Happy

A few players have asked for a little more time as they couldn't confirm their attendance earlier so I have decided to extend the registrations until March 7th. Also, for players who have registered but not submitted a run you can still do that.

I have made a preliminary schedule with the submissions so far and it's already looking awesome. I will wait until March 7th and then I'll finish with a preliminary schedule that I'll post here. This will be a very preliminary schedule so everybody is welcome to give feedback, suggestions etc. If you can't stay for at least the whole stream please let me know also so I can take it into account for the schedule.

One idea is to set up some multiplayer tournaments for F-Zero X and GX. I have some ideas but any suggestions for the format are welcome. If you'd like to participate in those let me know.

FighBat
Staff Ghost
Re: F-Zero Marathon (May 14-16) Registration deadline March
Reply to this Post

My only idea for an X tourney could be multiplayer and then lead into a finals where the winners play either a hack or X-Cup

As far as gx, that could be a race akin to what was shown at AGDQ2014 from behind the scenes.

That's my only idea for something to make it interesting. 

WMJ
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

Now that all players are known I went ahead and made a preliminary schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1u-pZSEuRtvLByfR12UGI9CrJHLK_oVe-08o6h0ftoR4/edit?usp=sharing
Please post any remarks and suggestions here so I can make it work for everyone. I am also trying to get our own F-Zero marathon forum on speedrun.com so I can make a fancy schedule that is easily accessible for everyone.

For the tournaments I tried to make pools by seperating players as much as possible by rank. The idea is to do all tracks and the best 2 advance to the next round. Final is also tracks. For F-Zero X I suggest we turn the slot machine off.

We don't have any remote submissions for runs not on the schedule. Please post here if you would like to do a remote contribution.

Suggested Remote Runs:
F-Zero GX All cups Snaking
F-Zero GX Story mode Snaking
F-Zero GX Staff ghosts Snaking
F-Zero GX Spaceflying
F-Zero GX 100% run (without pilot movies)
Dolphin F-Zero GX RAM Watch
F-Zero X Custom track packs

Anything goes as long as it's F-Zero.

If we can't fill the time we can do a TAS run showcase as well to fill the time.

WMJ
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

Schedule updated with the more or less finished version that is automatically timezone adjusted: http://www.speedrun.com/f-zero_marathon/schedule

WMJ
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

I have posted traveling and housing information as well as some prizes I'm offering for the tournaments on www.speedrun.com/f-zero_marathon/forum 
I suggest continuing the discussion for this event over on speedrun.com considering F-Zero Central might be set to read only mode while work on the new site takes place soon by Locks. Any future updates will be  posted there for this event.

WMJ
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

I'd like to make a request for those who do not have an account on speedrun.com and are on the schedule to make one before the event. We use an automated system to update the runner info for each run and it syncs with the runner info (nickname, twitch channel, etc) from the speedrun.com profile. It would make the setup for each run go easier.

WMJ
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

I am interested to hear feedback for how the marathon went from both the participants and viewers. I had a fantastic time meeting everyone and I hope everybody had a great time.

That said, there were also a few things that didn't go so well. For instance the technical problems we experienced at the start of the marathon. It has multiple reasons I guess but the main one being that we didn't have enough people for tech or commentary and some bad luck. It's a bit frustrating watching back some of the vods with lots of technical issues (that were all preventable). All the runs were of very high quality though and were very impressive to watch the level of skill in many of them. Luckily the tech problems were all fixed on the Sunday and the remote streams also look great (thanks yoshifan!). It's a good lesson I guess to have the whole setup a day before the start of the stream and thoroughly test all the scenarios (which
I wanted to do but ended up really not having time for unfortunately). 

I am currently really unsure if I will organize something like this again. It was both very fun and at times quite stressful at the same time. Let me know any feedback on this event and if you would be interested in a future event next year.

moreno1304
Blue Falcon
Reply to this Post

for me personally the event wasn't stressful at all since you guys took care of pretty much everything, sure it was a shame about the audio issues, but otherwise I feel like the marathon was very well organized. I personally had a great time meeting everyone!

ChilledBerry
Dragon Bird
Re: F-Zero Marathon (2016 May 14-16)
Reply to this Post

The bits of the marathon that I was able to watch was very fun and enjoyable. Seeing all the different F-Zero games played at high levels of skill is always a joy.

The problems dealing with tech and stuff like that is pretty much known to anyone who worked on it so I won't repeat them since they would know more about it than I.

No complaints about the player cam. Everyone who was playing or doing commentary was seen clearly and looked sexy af dayum.

Commentary for some of the runs was sometimes unclear, like they weren't loud enough or something.

All in all, it was very fun and the next one (if there will be one) can be much better learning from this one.

Yazzo
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

It seemed to have been a pretty enjoyable experience for people attending the event which is most important, and as a stream-viewer I also enjoyed it though as mentioned there were a lot of technical issues which are the main complains I have and have already been addressed. Besides that, the event was a bit delayed which was unfortunate since the schedule was never updated accordingly, but not a huge deal since it wasn't that much delayed anyway.

If there's another marathon, I would actually like to see more Time Attack exhibitions as that turned out to be what I enjoyed watching the most. Perhaps even make a tournament out of that too could be fun (setting as good of a time as possible under a time-limit). Nothing against Speedruns and they should definitely still be included, but it's never really been the main attraction of this game series imo.

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

ohe tech issue that i had was the rtmp dropping frames and having bad framerate even when the settings were correct. i've streamed to other rtmps in the past and they didn't have that kind of issue.

outside that, things went pretty much well.

"Patience is useful in any moment"
yoshifan
Fire Stingray
Reply to this Post

I was kinda slow when setting up the remote block runs, but all things considered, I think everything worked out better than expected. (Thanks to Jasper for staying up to help me with the first few runs there.) Some issues I had during setups were:

(1) My Discord speakers or mic getting cut a couple of times, probably due to also fiddling with Teamviewer audio. This happened around the snaking races mainly; for example, I was trying to talk at the end of one of the races and it wasn't getting through. I eventually realized I could fix it by using Discord's voice channel disconnect button, and then reconnecting (seemed to work better than refreshing Discord in my browser).

(2) Teamviewer's so-so responsiveness making drag-and-drop or resize operations work like 30% of the time. Probably unavoidable though.

(3) My unfamiliarity with XSplit, having used OBS for the last 2-3 years, and also just not being a regular streamer myself lately. If I were doing cropping and resizing of RTMP streams now, it would probably go more smoothly.

(4) I think Jasper showed me how to preview layouts before putting them on the live stream, but I mostly forgot to use that (and also didn't want to risk screwing up the currently playing run).

(5) Not being able to fill in run info (player, game, estimate) in advance. Well, I didn't actually try it, but Jasper told me that our software for this (Speedcontrol) was behaving oddly in this respect.

I think things like this are mostly hard to avoid with infrequent marathons. I think I lucked out in some areas too, such as not having significant audio source/balance issues on a computer I was unfamiliar with and operating remotely. Overall, having generous setup times on the schedule is always a good idea.

I'm pretty happy with how my spaceflying demo went; hope people found that interesting. I ended up making a late decision to draw more checkpoint maps, but didn't have time to rehearse the demo as a result. I think it was the right decision though.

As a viewer of the non-remote parts, I always say I'm OK with some technical difficulties as long as there's someone in chat to communicate what's generally going on. For a small, close-knit event like this there can probably be multiple people helping with this, not just Jasper or WMJ for instance.

Philippe Brodier
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

That was really fun for me to be there too ! I enjoyed that weekend, meeting and talking with players, also all living together for 2-3 days was kind of funny , watch them play during the stream, playing myself alone doing (poor) English commentaries and against people during the tournaments was a great experience that I'll remember. I'm looking forward to the next event !  Thank you very much WMJ for making this possible, for the housing too (and KDV), I slept well ! (nice suprise) and for the prizes ! I really wanted the Hot Violet for a long time, I can't believe I won it during a F-Zero X tournament, finishing second behind WMJ who was ginving those prizes and Daniel's absence help a lot I think, plus E-Dragon was so close, that was so fun to play with you guys !  Also that awesome space is a very nice place, very interesting !

BPA
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

I had a great time at the marathon! It was really cool to see old faces, some I hadn't seen in nearly six years, and also meet people I'd either only seen the name of online or even not at all. Everyone was chilled and it was nice that you could always play something with someone, be it F-Zero or any of the endless amount of games that Awesome Space (which lived up to its name) provided. I wish I booked a later return flight because the one game of Micro Machines me and Edward played was not enough! The level of accommodation provided at WMJ/Karel/Patrick's house was pretty great, considering how haphazard my own plans were. A sofa, two gorgeous cats and a cup of coffee in the morning gets you very far for events where you're gaming for more than half the day Smile not to mention a big bout of appreciation for Jasper taking time to drive us to and from the venue.

With regards to tech issues: eh, sh*t happens. While it is disappointing to look back on some of the videos and see the issues that occurred, I think having an event like this acts as a learning experience and building block upon which future events can learn from. As yoshifan pointed out, the level of assistance people like Jasper provided was very good - it was just little things that sometimes got in the way, like knowing what to do with the audio output for my DS, or not always having the necessary manpower available. I think preparing with a bit more time in advance is key really, sometimes you can't envisage particular tech problems occurring but its mostly about testing things out in a as-real setting as possible before the main event itself. In some instances, things like not always having a commentator to hand for a race made the community vibe stronger, as we all chipped in with our best efforts and regardless of how *we* felt we sounded we gave it our most, and tended to know what we were talking about ^^

A penny for Yazzo's thoughts: while I agree TT is the bedrock for the F-Zero competition sites, I tend to find at events like this that multiplayer and speedrun events provide an easier gateway into what these games can offer from a showcase angle. Pure TT grinding sessions, such as going for one record in particular, only ever really pay off if the person has already invested a ton of time into a track and is at that peak level, and so the the potential drama of witnessing a new record can occur. Otherwise, it can lead to sessions of fairly meandering track swapping where nothing too outlandish ever happens and people have to watch someone repeat a track many times over with no real payoff. The suggestion of a TT tournament works better for me, and I agree that maybe a time limit for each given track would work better than a one-try setting - the latter works if you're playing a game that allows you to always finish a track (a la Mario Kart), but in F-Zero the tightrope between safety and death is far tighter (would be pretty funny to see everyone do a one-try on Fire Field in X, though!). To have a tournament you need to have the players though, and I think only X and GX could have pulled this off at this meet. Just my two cents. 

"Lucifer! Punish your enemies, oh lord of the night, destroy them all!"
WMJ
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

Thanks a lot for the feedback everyone!

Great to hear everybody enjoyed themselves and had a good time, myself included. I think it’s great to have an event like this to keep the F-Zero community together and inspire competition among players as well as attract new ones. For this reason I would like to organize an event like this next year although I can’t make promises yet at this point. I still think there is a lot of potential in it to make it grow bigger and attract more viewers and perhaps new players as well. I also think the spring time of April – May is a good time of the year for it as most of the summer is cramped full of other events already.

A good inspiration for me is the CDM event they have every year in France for Super Mario Kart. This event actually really helped the community for that game as well as attracting many new players that are inspired by the competition in this way. I think for the whole F-Zero franchise we should definitely be able to make this happen and grow into something even better. The AGDQ events also gave a lot of momentum for mainly GX that has already attracted several new players. For now I’m keeping my fingers crossed for the next E3 as I am vaguely optimistic about a potential new F-Zero for NX but after this long games drought I’m not getting my hopes up too much. If anything, a new game would give an event like this an enormous boost.

I’m actually quite pleased with the format of the event as we had it. In making the schedule I tried to give room to every game in the franchise and keep a large variety in the type of runs and players on stream. I think in combination with the remote stream this allowed room for just about every type of run to be shown on stream to give as many different players as possible an opportunity to show their expertise.

I think BPA is right about time attack slots only making sense if the player in question is well trained and prepared for the slot to have a reasonable shot at a WR for 1 or 2 tracks. I think Edward’s F-Zero 2 slot especially worked out great as the game is so similar to F-Zero that with his skill level he was able to just take a big sweep of records and it showed him learning the tracks live on steam rather than just hoping for that one outlier run.  That said, I did really consider a time attack competition for this meet like they do at the CDM. It really depends on the players attending if that would make sense or not and in the end I decided to just give slots to Edward, BPA and Daniel. It’s a pity Daniel got sick and couldn’t make it of course and in the end I decided to just drop his slot. I still think if at least 4 good players for a certain game could make it we could set up a competition on perhaps 2 tracks with everyone getting 10 min per track or so to set a time. The best 2 advance to the final with another 2 tracks. Definitely something I would consider for next time.

There’s a multitude of reason for some of the tech problems we experienced. We got most of them solved by Sunday so that shows that it was really avoidable with more preparation. I’ll just list here a few things to help improve it for next time or if someone else organizes something like this they could be helpful.

1.      The streaming PC was finished about 2 days before the event. We’ve had plenty of events before but with a new PC setup like this we experienced several new problems. Including the webcam not functioning well which can be seen in several of the Saturday runs.

2.      We didn’t have enough setup time and testing time before the event. I also wasn’t aware that the streaming PC was changed just days before. If I were to organize this again I would have at least 1 day of marathon before the stream so everybody can hang out and do what they like while the tech crew has plenty of time to setup everything and test all scenarios well on time.

3.      Because of the tech problems we started 2 hours late. The starting time of 11 am local time was with taking into account a full setup + testing the day before so we could just start right away without difficulties. As this wasn’t possible we ended up just starting with still some problems not solved and this led to tech problems later on as well.

4.      Some equipment and cables went missing right before the event and took considerable time to locate causing very unnecessary setup delay as well.

5.      Proper 60 fps and deinterlacing (apparently only GX had some deinterlacing issue in a few runs) can help make it look better as well and was entirely possible if we had enough time to do setup well in advance.

6.      At least 1 mic used for commentary was not ok causing some of the commentary to be barely audible on stream for some reason. Being present in the room I had no idea about this until watching back the vods.

7.      Watching back Uchiha’s run there’s indeed some dropped frames but I’m not sure if that’s the server’s fault as every run for the whole event went via the rtmp server and this isn’t an issue that happened in other runs. Other than that I think the rtmp server as a possibility for remote streamers worked out great and is something worth considering next time as well.

I think for next time the main improvements to tech would be to have 1 day of casual gaming and building setup before the stream starts. I feel it’s essential to test all scenarios in advance to make the streaming part of the marathon go smoothly and stress free. I’d also have to make a rule that if you’re doing tech you cannot leave during setup before the event as happened this time causing even more unnecessary delay. Bringing extra equipment from home would help too as I ended up bringing my personal webcam for the Sunday to fix the webcam problems (things can break down or go missing). Having some volunteers that can be taught the basics of operating tech during the setup day would help things run better and faster as well. Another thing is that having a laptop with chat visible for the people present in the streaming room can help out as well. Several problems were pointed out in chat but as I couldn’t see it I wasn’t even aware of them.  It can also allow for some chat interaction with the runners and commentators to help improve the experience for the viewers as well. The many 30 min setup buffers really were not a luxury and this is something I would definitely put in the schedule next time as well.

Other than some of the tech that can be improved I think the event was great and I’m really looking forward to the next one. The atmosphere was really great and Awesome Space as a venue worked out really great as well. The only thing to consider for next time would be housing but it all depends on the number of people attending and in need for a sleeping space.

Thanks again for everybody participating and until next time.

Index » FZC General Forum » F-Zero Marathon (2016 May 14-16)