MV Rules Resources Videos Ladder Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero MV » Hi all - help needed for encoding videos
BPA
Staff Ghost
Hi all - help needed for encoding videos
Reply to this Post

It's good to be back here.

So yesterday I streamed a new time trial WR for P1 to TBK as a test, and recorded it as well, using the 3dscapture software & hardware that TBK, Yazzo and Peutos have used in the past. So far, so dandy - I ended up with a 5 minute avi file, used AVI Split to cut it down to the appropriate length, and uploaded the recording to YT, as you can see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fre31nGfdBQ

Now, the problem I have is that the above video looks, frankly, like crap. It's not the raw file that's at fault - that looks great on VLC on my laptop. And, in the past I have used the above process (substituting AVI Split for Windows Movie Maker) for decent results, as  videos on my old account have demonstrated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KFNIlOfXzQ

So, can anyone point me in a good direction to go in for encoding or compressing an avi file to something that will suit YT's compression? I'll try some random programs out tonight, but if anyone has some immediate tips that would be super. Cheers (and, look forward to seeing some more videos from me in the future - I have a lot of rust to shake off before the F-Zero Central Marathon!)

"Lucifer! Punish your enemies, oh lord of the night, destroy them all!"
FSF Returns
Fire Stingray
Re: Hi all - help needed for encoding videos
Reply to this Post

Well, the video itself looks a bit pixelated, but acceptable by my standards. The sound however is at fault here. Have you tried to take the raw file, cut it down in Windows Movie Maker and choose the appropriate settings ? The encoding I've used for most of my Climax & MV videos uses the third-to-last option in the "other parameters" setting of WMV. But for my latest run I've used the second-to-last one instead since I can't really afford to have many videos weighting more than 100 Mb in my laptop. Another alternative would be to use the "DV-AVI (NTSC)" setting instead, but I don't know if that's worth it.

Sorry, I cannot help all that much since the .avi files on my end are from the emulators :/

CMV
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

Hi, I think the reason why it looks so awful on Youtube is because the video's height is only 144 pixels at maximum, which results in 144p being the only quality setting available for your video on Youtube. 144p is the lowest quality setting on Youtube. It has an awful compression, which results in very bad quality on Youtube. The other video you linked is available in 480p, which has much less compression, due to Youtube compressing lower resolutions more than higher ones. So you could try to resize the video to 480p (4:3 ratio = 640x480 pixels) or 720p (4:3 = 960x720) in order to get good quality on Youtube. With 720p or higher you could also upload the video in 60fps.

F-Zero X FLap World Champion
BPA
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

Thanks for the replies guys.

@SparkWolfx - I think that's more to do with the audio pickup from the jack running from the console to my laptop, since the raw file sound isn't great either. I'll try adjust some things here and there.

@cmv - Cheers, yeah I'll try rescale the video to enable 720p, since the video is actually 60fps and should be okay at that quality. TBK's recommended Virtualdub to me so I'll give that a go.

"Lucifer! Punish your enemies, oh lord of the night, destroy them all!"
Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

should go all the way and upscale to 1440p. more future-proof that way.

another alternative is this: https://kb.speeddemosarchive.com/Anri-chan

this is a script that makes the encoding process with Virtualdub much more simple. you only have to answer the questions and locate the files and the script does everything for you. no need to mess with codecs and stuff like that. you can also create upscaled videos easily by editing the source file before starting to encode.

it's worked for me great all these years and it's what i use for like 90% of my vids. the raw avi from 3DS capture is compatible too.

"Patience is useful in any moment"
   Index » F-Zero MV » Hi all - help needed for encoding videos