Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
Latest Times Your Latest Times Your Ranking Summary
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » FZC General Forum » Favorite things about F-Zero
FighBat
Staff Ghost
Favorite things about F-Zero
Reply to this Post

Hello everyone, I am asking for all your input on the F-Zero series as a whole. 

The only question I have is, why do you like F-Zero? This can come from a casual or professional stand, I just need to know why you love/enjoy this series.

FSF Returns
Fire Stingray
Re: Favorite things about F-Zero
Reply to this Post

1/ Feeling how fast paced the racing is

2/ The soundtrack

3/ Captain Falcon

Personal Best Times for F-Zero GX : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10y-xzaWhTRq93hugkCZJp8Zlcd0aZc7BQqNxV-3ZZAM/edit#gid=0
ColbyFoxKat
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

I enjoy F-zero because GX is a game I grew up with basically, and for the racing genre I view this as the perfect racer that isn't as realistic as the GRID or Grand Turismo Series, but not as casual as Mario Kart or SEGA Racing. And most importantly the community around the series has been absolutely amazingly friendly and helpful. I'm by no means anyone special around, and I still have a lot of work to put in, but the people around here definately make this game an enjoyable one overall. Also James McCloud.

E_Dragon
Fire Stingray
Reply to this Post

I grew up with SNES and X, but X was the one I liked a lot more and it is still my favourite game in the franchise and what defines the series the best imo.

The reason why I like it so much is pretty simple:

It is a fast game where you can boost and go faster any time with some amazing soundtrack.

Especially with Silence 1, a simple straight track where you can go as fast as you want until you fly off the track.

Who doesn't love that ?

The reason why I came back to this game and series though is the sheer ammount of advanced techniques and the competitive scene behind it with a very friendly community.

WL2 in X or MCSG in GX done fast looks absolutely amazing, so I wanted to learn that stuff too until I can do that shit myself ( and I still fail at the flashy Silence 1 DTD ;; ).

Oval
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

I had a huge thing written, all on my phone via thumbs and I got logged out for no reason while typing and lost it. I will summarize a page of material: the trippiness, the speed, the precision, the simplicity of the concept and the complexity it allows, and finally the community of diehard fans who made this game what it is. They took a finished product, something static, and broke it wide open into what we have now. On a related side note: modern games are unfinished pieces of garbage stringing you along with DLC until next year's title; GX/playing GX is the antithesis of that sort of gaming.

ProminenceFlare
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

Generally, the sense of speed, the asthetic (love the worlds and alien-ness of it), and the variety of everything, from vehicles to characters.

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

the things that makes me keep coming back is the feeling when driving and the way several of the moves available improve the way the game plays. i can't imagine FZX without side attacks and sliding and those are intended mechanics. also, the way the actual physics and everything else feels.

it's similar to GX but i like GX with some of the advanced techs. like, i can't stand driving when not using MT because it feels more normal to go faster.

i find the worlds and machines interesting too. also, some of the characters are pretty fun with their weird backstories.

"Patience is useful in any moment"
Wellman
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post
FSF Returns wrote:

1/ Feeling how fast paced from the bathmate site.

2/ The soundtrack

3/ Captain Falcon

Same here, I just love the fast pace and the music is perfect for the game. I like that it;s simple and challenging too.

Siontix
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

The question for me is mostly:

"What sets F-Zero apart from other racers?"

For me, it is, primarily, that F-Zero has 50+ characters each with great character designs and their own backstories. One of my favorite things is how as a result, F-Zero has fans have a favorite character that they represent. Kind of like in real life how you find people wearing sports jerseys of their favorite team; it's interesting meeting people who are big fans of, say, Antonio Guster and hearing what they like about them. This is especially cool on sites like Deviantart, where fans of specific characters tend to specialize in art of said characters. Let me be clear though: The backstories for a lot of these characters aren't that great, but they're good enough in most cases to raise a player's interest on that front.

Aside from that, a HUGE factor behind me loving F-Zero is the fact that it is a game of strategy and preplanning. Lots of preplanning. What do I mean? Well, the implementation of side and spin attacks add an element of strategy to the game where you can play a style of being an 'F-Zero imperialist' as I've always called it, working your way up the standings via retiring mass amounts of racers. Additionally, it leads to a lot of cases where a rival might be tailing or leading you by about 2 points, that's where the strategy comes in. Do you hunt your rival down and try to retire them? Or do you simply focus on the race and hope the rival stays behind? THAT's the kind of strategy you can only find in a game like F-Zero, not Mario Kart, with all due respect. On that same topic, the energy meter is a brilliant system in that you have to be conservative with your energy and grasp an understanding of how many times a lap you can/should boost. Even then, there's more complexity added in the sense that how many boosts you can fit in per lap really comes down to which machine (or custom part) you're using.

In my eyes, F-Zero cannot be properly succeeded by another title until it replicates the same level of high speed racing, possible strategizing, and many unique racers + backstories. F-Zero hits the nail on the head on all fronts: Speedrunning, casual play, lore, fan art. Perfect game.

Evil_Superstar
Blue Falcon
Reply to this Post

The feel of driving, the controls, the physics. They perfectly nailed it.

Speed and technicality. Fast-paced and intense like an arcade racer, deep and technical like a sim. Former means instant appeal/ gratification, latter longevity/ mastery.

I enjoy just watching good pilots on Youtube. Very few games do that for me.

Racing in a pack. Like the devs say in that interview, in other racing games you're together at the start and then get scattered. F-Zero is different.

The visuals of X. Very unique. And that soundtrack…

I also like how the game is child a of its era. Just no frills hardcore gameplay, getting right down to it.

I like the sci-fi, comic book setting. They could do a hub world adventure game in it. Just make it gritty not cheesy.

The 3D F-Zeros are both a blessing and curse to me. Racing masterpieces handed to us, but unhappy about Nintendo abandoning the franchise.
   Index » FZC General Forum » Favorite things about F-Zero