No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 13

Valyssa
Wild Goose
FLap times in Practice Mode
Reply to this Post

This is a discussion that has arisen several times now, but there was never a definitive conclusion. So let's see if we can do it now.

Should FLap times set in Practice Mode be accepted? Naturally, the settings must be equal to a normal time attack i.e. no CPU racers and no recovery mode (although that wouldn't help you anyway). Video of the full lap should also be required.

If you vote in the poll, please do reply aswell so we can get as many thoughts on the matter as possible.

Personally I think it should be allowed, as with the right settings there's no difference in gameplay between Practice Mode and Time Attack Mode. The only downside is that the game doesn't save your FLap, but with video proof this shouldn't be an issue in my eyes.

moreno1304
Blue Falcon
Re: FLap times in Practice Mode
Reply to this Post

I am in favour of allowing it too, especially for tracks like CTT where you rarely get a flap in a normal run, as for the proof I think a video+picture of the laptime should suffice.

AfterDawn
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

My opinion means little in this situation because of the context of my bias, but I am in favour of allowing it because a) There are no tangible differences between the two under the right settings, b) Cutting down the wasted efforts on openers and resets will allow people to optimize their times better and make the ladder for FLaps more competitive, and c) Requiring that the game "saves" the time to memory card is a legacy requirement before the proliferation of recording & capture cards became mandated and accessible. Besides, if we are disallowing certain runs because no proof of saving to the memory card has been shown, we would have to disregard at least 3/4 of the snaking WRs for the same reason. Which is obviously stupid and should not be enforced.

We should not aim to create artificial floors of difficulty mandating that certain game modes are used if the only argument supporting it is a fallacy of appealing to tradition.

E_Dragon
Fire Stingray
Reply to this Post

I don't see any problems if the settings are correct, so no AIs and I wouldn't care about restore, since that only slows you down and makes it harder to get a fast lap.

As long as there is a complete video of it, I don't see a problem there. Clear YES vote.

FAI
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

I am in favor of Practice Mode FLap attempts.

I really like going for FLap times, but the biggest aspect that makes me not do it much, is that you constantly have to do lap 1 and 2 (for most courses) over and over again.

Being able to do it in Practice Mode would cut the time between attempts by quite a bit. We would be able to compete at a higher level.

Radekore
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

I think as long as there's picture or video of the record (proving the time and that there's no AI shenanigans) it should be allowed, although for WRs it would definitely need to be video proof to ensure things like no snaking. Pictures can't prove that but neither did the previous rules of just having the time saved to memory card

ChilledBerry
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

I'm pretty sure the majority of active players, including myself, would vote a yes, as seen by looking at the poll results.

It is to keep in mind that you do need some sort of recording device (be it live capture or crappy phone quality) to record the entirety of the Flap. This should include a clear view of the entire screen showing all the UI stuff, etc. Another thing to note is that some people can't do live recording because of lack of proper equipment or just don't want to use cameras pointing to the screen. This applies to me, as I don't have the equipment and don't want to use a camera. This doesn't affect my decision that I answer YES to the vote, but it may limit or discourage players to do so, in which it should be in their hands to do something about it. 

Also NO to just pictures, that should be obvious as well.

Index » F-Zero GX » FLap times in Practice Mode