Home Page
F-Zero Central Community Update (Jul.) Championships General Forum Players Photo Album
F-Zero Climax
F-Zero GP Legend
F-Zero MV
F-Zero X
F-Zero GX
F-Zero SNES
F-Zero Climax F-Zero GP Legend F-Zero MV F-Zero X F-Zero GX F-Zero SNES
Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
X Rules Resources Videos Ladders Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero X » F-Zero X Music Replacement Guide (Updated 2018-02-02)
optimuswhat
Mr. EAD
F-Zero X Music Replacement Guide (Updated 2018-02-02)
Reply to this Post

Major props to RemixRave for revamping the guide.

A. Requirements
In order to replace music & sounds in F-Zero X, you need the following:

• N64 Sound Tool: http://www.goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=212
  • Audacity: http://www.audacityteam.org/download/
  • An F-Zero X rom. It can be US, Europe, or Japan.
  • An N64 emulator if you want to test your music in-game i.e. PJ64
  • It would help if you have access to a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW), such as Fl-Studio. We will refer to fl-studio in this tutorial.

B. Setting up your tune
F-Zero X's music plays at a sample rate of 22050khz. Each music-sound file has a maximum file size which you’ll need to use as a guide when importing your music.
In order to make your music sound great in-game, do the following:

1. Select the music you want to import into the ROM. Make note of the file size. For example, let’s assume a file size of 71.3MB. The largest music file in F-Zero: X is the Credits theme, being 6.83MB, so you’ll need to bring your music as close to 6.83MB if you want to maximise quality.
  2. Using Fl-Studio, export your music in mp3 format, making sure the bit-rate is at 128kbps (think of 128kbps as a safe, reliable setting. However, you may experiment). Any lower and you will lose quality drastically. Any higher and you may struggle to clamp down on file size. Fl-Studio will show you the effect on file size automatically as you adjust the bit-rate slider settings. With these settings in place, we will move from a 71.3MB file to a 3.23MB file.
  3. Load your new music file into audacity. Split your music into two mono tracks and adjust the volume for each channel, preferably between -3db and -5db. Select both channels and mix and render them. Change the sampling format to 16-bit as this will help reduce file size. There is no need to change the sampling rate. Change the project rate in the bottom left corner of audacity to 22050khz. This will automatically change the sampling rate to 22050khz when exporting your music.
  4. If you are happy at this point, export your file as a wav 16-bit PCM file.
  5. Step 5 will be discussed in Section D as it is dependent on your choice to include loop points.
  6. We now have a 6.38MB file. The file size has increased due to the transition from mp3 to wav, as wav files are lossless.

C. N64 Sound Tool

Finally, it's time to utilize the Sound Tool. This tool enables us to view, export, delete, and import music available in N64 games. For F-Zero X, we're pretty lucky that music isn't separated into different instruments, so this should be fairly straightforward.

1. Open up N64 Sound Tool, click File, Open Known Game, F-ZERO X, then select the correct region. Select the appropriate ROM.
  2. Make sure you are on Soundbank 00. You can use the table made below to find the music you want to replace. Note that not every sound is on there. F-Zero X has over 70 different sounds, however not all have been documented. If you can't find what you're looking for, I recommend going through the long list to try and find it.
  3. Using the table provided below, choose the soundtrack you wish to replace. For this tutorial, we have no choice but to use the Credits theme. Use the instruments tab to select 0029. This is the code for the Credits theme.
  4. Click on 16-bit VADPCM to import your music, in this case, the 6.38 file we created. You will notice that the N64SoundTool has frozen and will not be responding for a while, depending on the size of the file you imported. I suggest avoid clicking on the sound tool to prevent further issues and reflect on what’s life.
  5. After the sound tool has refreshed, you will be able to preview your music. Under the instruments tab, there is a box that says Master Sample Rate. By default this will be around 32000khz. You can change this to 22050khz to get a correct preview of how your music will sound in the ROM.
  6. If you have followed the previous steps correctly, you should be able to inject your music into the ROM. Click inject in place.
  7. File > save ROM > F-Zero X.z64.rom. Don’t worry about the .rom extension. Your ROM will still work. You should be able to test it out through emulation now. If you are planning on combining your music with a custom track, you can also patch your tracks to the ROM with the .rom extension file in FZEP.

D. Looping

1. Firstly, open up this site: www.binaryhexconverter.com/decimal-to-hex-converter.
  2. Using your music file, you can find your loop points and convert them into hexadecimal. Firstly, locate the drop down box at the very bottom of audacity in the middle of the screen and change seconds into samples.
  3. Zoom into your music’s wave spectrum by clicking the magnifier + sign. Locate the start point where you wish the loop to begin and copy the number in the samples drop down box into the hex converter website. Copy the hex number into the sound tool at the bottom start box.
  4. Do the same for the end point. Make sure to fill out missing values in the Start and End boxes with 0’s, i.e. if you have a hex number of 1a83f, then add three 0’s before it to get 0001a83f.
  5. Change the count section in the sound tool to FFFFFFFF.
  6. You can now proceed to inject your music into place.
  7. Step 5 – Section B. If you are going to replace the Credits theme, you cannot loop your music as the Credits theme never looped to begin with. In this case, ensure your music is long enough to last the race. Cut any parts of the audio from the end that you don’t need, i.e. if you want to inject Ghost Rider into place, ensure that it loops at least twice and maybe play for around half the time of the third loop. This will help reduce the file size to some degree.

Here's a small guide for converting between loop rates. This will work super well if you get your music off a site like smashcustommusic.com or already know the beginning/end loop points already.

You have to use this formula:

SampleOriginal is what the original sample rate point was.
SampleNew is what the new sample rate point is.
FrequencyNew is what the new frequency is.
FrequencyOriginal is what the old frequency was.
You'll need to rearrange the formula to get your desired resutls. I'll provide an example of this below:

Let's say we're trying to convert a 44100Hz music track into a 4000Hz music track. Our beginning loop point in our 44100Hz music track is 7721856 samples and we are trying to find out what the equivalent sample rate is in our 4000Hz music track.
Let's rearrange our formula so it equals SampleNew.

Now we sub in our values.
Our original frequency is 44100Hz
Our new frequency is 4000Hz
Our original sample is 7721856 samples.
When subbed in, we get:

If you round, you get 85133462 which is indeed the correct new sample rate after changing a 44100Hz tune to 4000Hz.

E. Ending

By now you have imported your music into the game. If you find it too loud, you can easily reduce the volume of it in Audacity without affecting the filesize. Seamless looping is by far the hardest thing in this tutorial and I do not have any idea on how to make seamless loops occur consistently.

Filesizes

This is is not everything. Some of these sounds I have no idea what they are. I've only listed familiar tracks and sounds.

Largest to smallest:

Name Instrument* Filesize
Credits Theme 0029 6.83 MB (7,163,568 bytes)
Silence 002A 2.85 MB (2,997,616 bytes)
Big Blue 0024 2.55 MB (2,683,792 bytes)
Port Town 0016 2.46 MB (2,585,904 bytes)
White Land 0012 2.11 MB (2,222,320 bytes)
Mute City 0014 2.03 MB (2,135,952 bytes)
Sand Ocean/Fire Field 0015 2.01 MB (2,110,672 bytes)
Red Canyon 0007 2.00 MB (2,101,264 bytes)
Sector Alpha 0013 1.89 MB (1,992,592 bytes)
Devil's Forest 0001 1.80 MB (1,898,448 bytes)
Title Theme 0019 1.60 MB (1,683,216 bytes)
Death Race 0042 1.34 MB (1,410,928 bytes)
Car Select 001A 864 KB (885,744 bytes)
Results 0032 864 KB (885,744 bytes)
After-Race Results 000F 864 KB (885,744 bytes)
Game Over 002E 560 KB (574,064 bytes)
Leaderboard/Settings 002C 502 KB (514,800 bytes)
Machine Destroyed 0025 364 KB (373,200 bytes)
Finish! 0020 270 KB (277,232 bytes)
Race Beginning 001B 233 KB (239,408 bytes)
Title Intro 0000 226 KB (231696 bytes)
Male falling off track 0035 121 KB (124,368 bytes)
Car Select Sound Effect 0040 117 KB (120,720 bytes)
Announcer: "See you again! Hahaha" 0030 108 KB (111,440 bytes)
Female falling off track 0036 106 KB (109,360 bytes)
Announcer: "Too bad, you lost your machine." 0031 102 KB (105,328 bytes)
Announcer: "Way to go, it's a new record!" 002F 98.8 KB (101,232 bytes)
Announcer: "Pour(?) it on, you're way out in front!" 003B 94.1 KB (96,368 bytes)
Announcer: "Yeah! The final lap!" 0023 93.1 KB (95,344 bytes)
Boost noise? 0038 83.8 KB (85,872 bytes)
Announcer: "Yeah! First place!" 0046 80.6 KB (82,544 bytes)
Announcer: "Alright! First place!" 0034 80.3 KB (82,288 bytes)
Announcer: "Bingo! Hahaha" 0002 80.2 KB (82,160 bytes)
Announcer: "You're going the wrong way!" 003E 79.4 KB (81,392 bytes)
Machine Explosion 0006 72.2 KB (74,032 bytes)
Announcer: "You got booze power!" 0022 68.6 KB (70,256 bytes)
Announcer: "Finish!" 003D 68.3 KB (70,000 bytes)

And now I am too lazy to continue. You can figure out the rest by going into N64 Sound Bank and clicking "Rip All Sound Banks." This gives you some super slowed down F-Zero tracks and the filesize for each of them. Match them up in the Sound Tool and do whatever.

*Instrument is related to N64 Sound Tool. The Soundbank must be 00 else you won't see any instruments.

If anything is unclear in the guide, please message some of the folks on the F-Zero Nexus and F-Zero Online Discord channels. I'm usually hanging around on there so a response on there will be much quicker.

---

(2018-02-02) - Major props to RemixRave for revamping the guide using what I discovered and refining it! Things should make more sense.

(2018-02-16) - Differentiated between a few sounds present on the table (title, car select, menu sfx) (EDIT 2) Added size for the Title Intro

(2018-07-0Cool - Added in information about converting sample rates between different frequencies.

Philippe Brodier
Black Bull
Re: F-Zero X Music Replacement Guide
Reply to this Post

Thank you very much for sharing this Optimus, I really like to import new musics or voices in F-Zero X climax someday. Unfortunatly Audacity doesn't work on my computer at the moment ...

optimuswhat
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post
Philippe Brodier wrote:

Thank you very much for sharing this Optimus, I really like to import new musics or voices in F-Zero X climax someday. Unfortunatly Audacity doesn't work on my computer at the moment ...

Any time! I was inspired to look into changing music in FZX because of your mod and RemixRave's excellent FZ remixes. I'm pretty thankful that all the tools needed to do so existed. I'm not very good at coding, haha...

Regarding your Audacity problem, I'm interested if I can somehow help you troubleshoot it.

Philippe Brodier
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

I managed to use Audacity by downloading an older version for Windows 2000 (I have XP pack 2 ...)

I followed your tutorial but I got stuck when I tried to reinject the mono wav file I had from Audacity (the file is really big, 118 mb, rate 7000, that is may be the problem, the original mp3 was 3.2 mb, I must messed up somewhere) the program freezed like forever. I didn't try again but I will ! Also I stopped at this step so I didn't try to loop the file.

optimuswhat
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

Make sure to set your Project Rate to 4000 and make sure your track is 16-bit. If the file size is still too big, try experimenting with the sample rate and project rate though it shouldn't be 100mb. Also, what music are you using? I could try doing it for you then write out the steps I performed.

Philippe Brodier
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

I used this track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-6bE4UqABQ, then made it mp3 with this site https://youzik.com/fr at 3.2 mb, then made it 16 bits and mono with Audacity, then got a 118 mb with audacity, then got stuck with the n64 sound tool.

It will be nice to have the guitar remix in FZX Climax and may be some expansion kit musics too. Anyway I really hope this can work ! It will be really cool to finally hear other musics in FZX (I love the original but damn !) Thank you for the help !

optimuswhat
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post
Philippe Brodier wrote:

I used this track https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-6bE4UqABQ, then made it mp3 with this site https://youzik.com/fr at 3.2 mb, then made it 16 bits and mono with Audacity, then got a 118 mb with audacity, then got stuck with the n64 sound tool.

It will be nice to have the guitar remix in FZX Climax and may be some expansion kit musics too. Anyway I really hope this can work ! It will be really cool to finally hear other musics in FZX (I love the original but damn !) Thank you for the help !

I managed to shrink it down to 2.85MB but I'm having difficulty recreating what I did; it keeps turning out all high pitched in N64 Sound Tool when played at 22000 and I can't figure out why. If your file ends up as 118MB I recommend attempting the procedures again. Doing this is really hit and miss sometimes, especially with longer files. The reason it worked with Max. Velocity's Silence so easily is because the music, when cropped, is short and easy to work with. For Guitar Arrange Silence, I somehow managed to fit all 3 minutes into a single 2.85MB audio file but it required a lot of experimentation, to the point where I don't know how I did it.

I can send you the audio file if you wish.

But regarding the file being 118MB, I'm thinking you may have forgotten to tamper with the Project Rate and Sample Rate. If you change the sample rate to 4000 yet leave the project rate at 44100, then you'll get a very large file. However, if you shrink the project rate it'll reduce the file size.

I also lack knowledge in how audio is outputted in the game. I have no idea how it increases the sample rate from 4000 to 22000.

I am looking into what the Project Rate actually does right now, hopefully letting me understand this stuff a little better. What I'm getting out of it is that it seems to affect audio quality. Yet when I assign a track a sample rate of 4000, then assign the project rate something lower, it still sounds high pitched @22000 which doesn't make sense.

Philippe Brodier
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

Yes please give a link, I really like to see if I can include it in the mod Smile

I'll try again with audacity during next week with some more test to see if I can manage to get other musics with reduced size files like you did. 

If it does work and the audio quality is ok I will release a 1.3 version of the mod someday for sure !

optimuswhat
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

Here you go!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4tTe4UC66k3VTVrU2JCM2NxTm8

Getting the music this small requires a bit of experimentation. The procedure I made above works very well with music that is about the same length as music present in the game. Longer music is a lot more tricky.

Philippe Brodier
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

Thank you very much, I will try to get this music into the mod asap !

Philippe Brodier
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

I tried the file you made and ineed it does work !!!

The sound/music quality is quite inferior to the original, the modulation is also higher and I can't hear boost sound/voices enough that way but it's very nice to have a new music in FZX ! Also the loop doesn't work but may be you didn't program it.

Thank you very much for taking the time to create the tutorial and sharing that Silence arrange wav file ! I hope it's possible to get better audio quality with the musics, I'll try some audacity myself to see what I can get. Between the guitar arrange album, the remix from Tony Thai and those we can find on the net there is a lot to do with custom musics, voices and sounds on F-Zero X ! Thanks again !

optimuswhat
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post
Philippe Brodier wrote:

I tried the file you made and ineed it does work !!!

The sound/music quality is quite inferior to the original, the modulation is also higher and I can't hear boost sound/voices enough that way but it's very nice to have a new music in FZX ! Also the loop doesn't work but may be you didn't program it.

Thank you very much for taking the time to create the tutorial and sharing that Silence arrange wav file ! I hope it's possible to get better audio quality with the musics, I'll try some audacity myself to see what I can get. Between the guitar arrange album, the remix from Tony Thai and those we can find on the net there is a lot to do with custom musics, voices and sounds on F-Zero X ! Thanks again !

I did not include the loop in that file. Sorry about that! You can reduce the sound volume without it affecting the filesize. I'll include that in the main topic.

optimuswhat
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

For anyone reading this right now, this guide is now outdated! I am currently working on a newer one which should guarantee better results for your music and has better advice on making proper loops. If you want help, please message me on Discord; I'm on F-Zero Nexus and F-Zero Online and I usually reply quickly.

fzeroman
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

Big thanks for the guide and the recent update to it.

Noticed tho reopening wav files shows them at 32 bit float instead of 16bit pcm.

Ive notice also that if you want more then 1 song in the same rom do not hit INJECT IN PLACE until your songs are loaded.

If you hit INJECT on each song the next one will say its too big to fit regardless of file size or loop.

Sad thing is the file sizes of each song. If you want the songs to fit more then likely youll have to butcher the song,in the case of guitar arrange songs youll have to cut the 2nd part of the song just to perhaps fit any file size above whiteland.

Best bet is to have seperate rom files with each song you want/inject into credits and swap credits on your custom track in the fz ep editor

fzeroman
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

Took the liberty to dive into each sound,some i cant tell exactly what they are but for those that wish to replace all sounds this is the best i could provide.

00 CTL

SAMPLE RATES 18000
5.10KB  00 MENU SOUND?
1.80MB  01 DEVILS FOREST
80.2KB  02 ANNOUNCER "PICO HA HA HA"
51.2KB  03 ENGINE NOISE
33.9KB  04 ENGINE NOISE
20.2KB  05 MENU SOUND?
72.2KB  06 CAR RAMMING
2.00MB  07 CAR EXPLOSION
33.7KB  08 CAR NOISE?
41.8KB  09 CAR NOISE?
1.82KB  0A MENU SOUND? 
54.3KB  0B CAR NOISE?
2.64KB  0C MENU SOUND?
8.04KB  0D CAR ATTACK SPIN?
15.7KB  0E MENU SOUND?

SAMPLE RATE 22050
658KB   0F RESULTS
43.4KB  10 MENU SOUND?
63.3KB  11 MENU SOUND OK?
2.11MB  12 WHITELAND
1.89MB  13 SECTOR
2.03MB  14 MUTECITY
2.01MB  15 SANDOCEAN/FIREFIELD
2.46MB  16 PORTTOWN
14.2KB  17 CAR ATTACK SIDE
11.1KB  18 MENU SELECT SOUND
1.60MB  19 TITLE SCREEN
864KB   1A MENU 
233KB   1B TRACK PREVIEW

SAMPLE RATE 18000
19.6KB  1C ANNOUNCER "3"
19.2KB  1D ANNOUNCER "2"
15.8KB  1E ANNOUNCER "1"
16.4KB  1F ANNOUNCER "GO"

SAMPLE RATE 22050 
270KB   20 RACE FINISH
126KB   21 UNKNOWN SOUND?

SAMPLE RATE 18000
68.6KB  22 ANNOUNCER "YOU GOT BOOST POWER"
93.1KB  23 ANNOUNCER "YEAH THE FINAL LAP"

SAMPLE RATE 22050
2.55MB  24 BIGBLUE
364KB   25 RACE FAILURE
944KB   26 MENU SOUND?
2.20KB  27 MENU SOUND?
40.2KB  28 MENU OK SOUND

SAMPLE RATE 22050
6.83MB  29 CREDITS
2.85MB  2A SILENCE 
53.2KB  2B UNKNOWN SOUND?
502KB   2C OPTIONS
11.0KB  2D MENUSOUND?
560KB   2E GAMEOVER

SAMPLE RATE 18000
98.8KB  2F ANNOUNCER "WAY TO GO ITS A NEW RECORD"
108KB   30 ANNOUNCER "SEE YOU AGAIN HA HA HA"
102KB   31 ANNOUNCER "TOO BAD YOU LOST YOUR MACHINE"

SAMPLE RATE 22050
832KB   32 VICTORY LAP/CUP CLEAR

SAMPLE RATE 18000
107KB   33 FIREWORK
80.3KB  34 ANNOUNCER "ALL RIGHT 1ST PLACE
121KB   35 MALE FALL OFF TRACK
106KB   36 FEMALE FALL OFF TRACK
42.9KB  37 EXPLOSION
83.8KB  38 EXPLOSION
58.6KB  39 ANNOUNCER "RECORD LAP"
53.9KB  3A ANNOUNCER "WATCH YOUR BACK" 
94.1KB  3B ANNOUNCER "WOAH YOURE WAY OUT IN FRONT"
3.76KB  3C MENU SOUND
68.3KB  3D ANNOUNCER "FINISH"
79.4KB  3E ANNOUNCER "YOURE GOING THE WRONG WAY"
41.7KB  3F CAR FLYING/FALLING NOISE
117KB   40 MENU OK? SOUND BEFORE RACE
18.1KB  41 CAR SOUND?

SAMPLE RATE 22050
1.34MB  42 DEATHRACE
1.73KB  43 MENU SOUND
26.0KB  44 VICTORY PLATFORM SOUND
18.7KB  45 MENU SOUND?

SAMPLE RATE 18000
80.6KB  46 ANNOUNCER "YEAH 1ST PLACE"

01 CTL
SAMPLE RATE 22050
226KB   00 INTRO LOGO
redolent
Mr. EAD
Re: F-Zero X Music Replacement Guide (Updated 2018-02-02)
Reply to this Post

If anyone reading this has modded the ROM, would you be able post a ROM for us with no music? There's nothing against the music, granted, but sometimes it's nice to hear just the sound effects and the hum of the engine. Right?

optimuswhat
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

Sorry for the very late reply. I don't check back at this guide often unless there's an issue with it. If you have questions check on the F-Zero Nexus Discord. Much easier to communicate there in my opinion.

To answer your question, it's not hard to do such a thing. All you need is a blank audio file which could be legitimately a millisecond long, easily done in Audacity. Afterwards you just replace every single music track with it and you're good. Not much to it. I don't think this site would allow anyone to share roms on here. Sorry about that.

fzeroman
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

you can always share a ips patch tho.

or go the gameshark route,this is the best ive found for no music durring race

diffrent bass sounds/no in game music

800ACFE1 0000

if you want doffrent sounding fx just try a higher value then the last 2 digits

Index » F-Zero X » F-Zero X Music Replacement Guide (Updated 2018-02-02)