Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
GX Rules Resources Videos Ladders Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero GX » Games like F-Zero GX
thevorace
Blue Falcon
Games like F-Zero GX
Reply to this Post

There are quite a few games out there that are compared to F-Zero GX, but on that subject I would only trust the opinions of those in this dedicated community. What are your thoughts? Anything worth playing? I've been thinking about getting Redout, but I must admit that I've yet to find a game like F-Zero GX.

E_Dragon
Fire Stingray
Re: Games like F-Zero GX
Reply to this Post

Redout is quite different. You can't get through corners any as fast as in GX and the controls are also more floaty.

However the track design is really good, as well as the sense of speed.

So Redout is different, but I still like it a lot and I can only recommend it for any fan of the futuristic racing game genere.

thevorace
Blue Falcon
Reply to this Post

What about Wipeout and Fast RMX? I've seen lots of threads comparing them to F-Zero, but the same people seem to compare F-Zero to Sonic Racers and Pod Racers, so their credibility seems nonexistent to me. Still, I haven't found any better ideas elsewhere, that's why I figured I'd ask here, where people ACTUALLY know what they're talking about. I've got that itch, and only F-Zero can give me my fix.

E_Dragon
Fire Stingray
Reply to this Post

I can't say a lot about Fast RMX, because I haven't played it yet, but at least I played Fast Racing Neo, which is its predecessor and very similar.

About that game, the controls are also more floaty (not as much as wipeout though) and it is fun at first, but as soon as you properly learn the tracks and get into the mechanics it fells pretty simple as walls also barely slow you down and with the track knowledge you will even survive sunahara desert consistently. So it's not as interesting on a high level.

Also the tracks may have some cool enviroments, but the actual tracks are rather dull with many straights and no sharp corners.

Another thing is that Fast Racing Neo was a pretty challenging game, but they lowered the rubberband and speed in RMX making it easier to complete.

About Wipeout, I only played 64 and Fury.

Wipeout is based on more floaty physics again, so it doesn't compare to F-zero controls wise as well and it doesn't have strafe, but more of a drifting system with the shoulder buttons.

Both games are pretty challenging, but I haven't really put in time in both of those, so idk how they are on a high level, but judging the speed and the track design it seems to be more interesting to time trial than Fast RMX on a high level.

If you ask me, even Star Wars Episode 1 racer gets closer to GX controls wise than Wipeout and Fast RMX, as the controls are a lot more responsive there.

Ultimately I haven't seen any game that has GX like controls. The closest you could get is just a different game in the F-zero series with X being the closest as it has mechanics to turn sharply on high speeds with sideattacks, it has a grip system, it has strafe (even though it's bad in this game), it has responsive controls and no floatyness and it also has some MTS like drifting with sliding.

thevorace
Blue Falcon
Reply to this Post

Well, I got Redout for XBone a few days ago, and I was not disappointed. It took awhile to get used to the controls (mainly turning) but yesterday I managed to finish getting at least gold on every event. The funny thing is, according to the leaderboards, I'm the first person in the world who gold percented Redout on XBone. I doubt I'll be able to get all the platinums though. I just don't understand how to turn optimally. Anyway, the music is good, the visuals are amazing, and the course design is really cool.

superSANIC
Blue Falcon
Reply to this Post

If you want to try out Wipeout, you should d/l BallisticNG for free on Steam. It's a pretty well made remake of the PS1 era Wipeouts.

If you just wanna go lolfast, then look for Ballistics (check my twitch page: /supersanic_ for a link).

Evil_Superstar
Blue Falcon
Reply to this Post

I haven't played FAST Racing Neo much, because I don't like it. Ships are hard to get through corners because they steer poorly. I also dislike how the camera swerves left-right behind the ship. Makes it harder to see/ feel where exactly you are on the track. Coupled with this is that some tracks have obstacles that make you crash instantly. Not a pleasant thing.

Because of these shortcomings and frustrations I couldn't get myself to play more of it and get better. It just seems like a much more shallow game than F-Zero. My experience wth the game may be limited, but as was my impression. I've also seen a speedrunner completely break the game, so it lacks solid fundamentals. People like the HD graphics, but that's just a layer of paint.

Don't know how much you've played GX, but I recently returned to it to beat all staff ghost. Used to play GP mostly, but time trial is a nice way to improve your skill and get a better understanding and appreciation of the game. There's also X, which is my favorite in the series. I also liked that Star Wars Episode 1 pod racer game on 64 back in the day.

E_Dragon
Fire Stingray
Reply to this Post

As someone who actually speedran Fast Racing Neo I agree that it lacks in deep mechanics. At least in 1.0 the game was super broken with tons of interesting shortcuts and lap glitches, which involved driving backwards through a technique we called side dashing. All these tricks and glitches created a nice challenge from a runners perspective. After all that stuff got fixed though, all that's left is just the normal driving mechanics, which are not complex at all and quite easy to master, so it ended up as a dull racing game for me now.

Index » F-Zero GX » Games like F-Zero GX