Home Page
F-Zero Central Community Update (Oct.) Championships General Forum Players Photo Album
F-Zero Climax
F-Zero GP Legend
F-Zero MV
F-Zero X
F-Zero GX
F-Zero SNES
F-Zero Climax F-Zero GP Legend F-Zero MV F-Zero X F-Zero GX F-Zero SNES
Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
X Rules Resources Videos Ladders Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero X » Recommended (Japanese) guide books?
DCMJ
Mr. EAD
Recommended (Japanese) guide books?
Reply to this Post

Hi there FZC, I was wondering which guide books were recommended for fellas that want detailed map illustrations in a tangible format.

I was hoping to catch Wouter on his stream in order to ask him which guide book he uses for his course guides but my lurking sadly did not yield that information nor did I gain any insight into his streaming schedule (I'm doing everything internet-related through a potato phone) so I was wondering if anyone from the community here has an F-Zero X guide book they would recommend.

I greatly appreciate your suggestions that don't involve have anything printed for me; I'd also like to have a guide book for collection purposes as well. 

TBK
Janitor
Re: Recommended (Japanese) guide books?
Reply to this Post

Hey there,

I guess with tangible you mean that from the illustrations of the tracks you can visualize them and get a feeling for how they are shaped as a whole, which is something you can't get from just playing the game? I've got this guide book laying around: Link

This is NOT my auction, but you can see the pictures. Every track gets about 8 pages worth of details and strats, and also each track gets one overall 3D view (big) on it coupled with smaller images called bird's view (9 different images) and side view (7 different images) but those are a little hard to make out as they are printed as 1 inch squares or so.

I've bought this book to get the staff interview near the end of the book translated into english but don't need it anymore now. I just randomly found it again and had read your post just half an hour before that. If you want i'll give it to you for free.

DCMJ
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

Ah, that's one of the books on my radar, I appreciate your offer TBK, I would like to cover the shipping costs so I will PM my PayPal details. 

On the topic of guide books I'm interested in I wonder if anyone here has experience with the perfect capture series victory strategy book and the NEXT club strategy guide.

WMJ
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

I think the official guide with the staff interview is the best one as far as information goes. I own just about all of them and I think the decicated Japanese guidebooks are all pretty good. Some even have pictures and description of the Red Canyon 2 shortcut for instance. As far as techniques goes they are all very shallow (not surprising for July - September 1998 guides). A lot of them do have beautiful illustrations and trackmaps. I am taking my track maps from the bottow row 4th from the left guide in the picture below (best ones). Next Club 2 guide (top row 5th from the left guide is nice and all but it doesn't stand out in any way from the rest of them.

There was an English guide book with N64 magazine that's absolutely terrible (and kinda hilarious). It contains a lot of misinformations such as claims of a turbo start and so on but it did first coin the term "jumping".

In a later issue reader Andrew Mills (of Super Metroid speedrun fame) submitted a guide that's horribly outdated with todays knowledge as well. I took some quick pictures as it's only 4 pages long anyway.

I have also uploaded scans of the most interesting section from the Perfect series guide with a full English translation document.

Shared google drive with different F-Zero X guides: drive.google.com/open

F-Zero Central shared google drive F-Zero X Archive: drive.google.com/drive/folders/1BeWiyFGj8bElTuBxxofW4szFtGAODNsd

DCMJ
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

Many thanks Wouter! Both you and TBK are each the man! I couldn't have asked for more.

Index » F-Zero X » Recommended (Japanese) guide books?