F-Zero MV
F-Zero X
F-Zero GX
F-Zero SNES
F-Zero Climax F-Zero GP Legend F-Zero MV F-Zero X F-Zero GX F-Zero SNES
Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
SNES Rules Resources Videos Ladder Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero SNES » RTA advantage for SNES Classic?
Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
RTA advantage for SNES Classic?
Reply to this Post

i was doing time attack in MC1 and used both Wii U VC and SNES Classic to see if any of them provided an advantage and, while my own times didn't see any difference, i did notice something weird.

it seems that the SNES Classic's F-Zero emulation runs slightly faster than Wii U VC's emulation. while this doesn't really cause a problem for the ladder, it does pose a problem for people using RTA timing for all cup runs. the time gain can be significant since i noticed a difference of 9 frames after only 2 minutes of gameplay.

i took some screenshots of this:

the above show how the Wii U VC fell behind after 334 frames.

here's the difference after more time:

the difference gets bigger over time. these 2 videos had a MC1 time that was identical once the run was over but, as you can see, the SNES Classic reaches the end slightly faster which puts anyone using Wii U VC at a disadvantage.

i also noticed the timer is slower than RTA but i think that's known already.

i think it'd be worth it to do more testing. for one, i didn't play on a SNES or on Wii VC to see how much those versions differed. next goal would be to see which one is closer to a real SNES.

"Patience is useful in any moment"
Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Re: RTA advantage for SNES Classic?
Reply to this Post

i did more testing with the other versions and found out that a regular SNES is even faster.

then i sort of realized it makes sense for this difference to exist since the SNES version runs higher than the regular 60 fps. in my capture card it showed as 60.10 fps which explains why it went even faster than the SNES Classic. SNES Classic runs at 60 fps and the VC versions are 59.94 due to how the Wii and Wii U output their video signal.

this ended up being nothing in the end. it just boils down to the emulated versions not having the exact same speed. it does show at least that an original SNES is best for RTA, followed by the SNES Classic.

"Patience is useful in any moment"
   Index » F-Zero SNES » RTA advantage for SNES Classic?