X Rules Resources Videos Ladders Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero X » F-Zero X 20th Anniversary
Philippe Brodier
Black Bull
F-Zero X 20th Anniversary
Reply to this Post

Hey guys, it'a big day !

I can't believe this game cames out 20 years ago today. I 'm still loving it and I still think it's the best driving video game ever made.

I planned to make another mod of the game for that 20th anniversary but failed. I missed time, inspirations, motivation ... I may still manage to do it, may be before the 20th anniversary of the European release, sorry guys, really.

However I have something for you to celebrate this great day !

I'll give you by this link, the version + of F-Zero X and of my Climax (1.2) mod and the Expansion Kit HD and Climax HD version of the game (patches only).

The + versions improves draw distance and details and the HD versions the same but so much more but only run on emulators (the ones that already made the F-Zero X Expansion Kit Cart Hack works, like pj 64 2.2 and further versions)

Those distance draw and details mods are made by Theboy181 and team Discord64. Theboy181 is still working on this project so please understand that the WIP content will may be improve. Big thank you to the team and Theboy181 !

Guys, the HD versions are incredible, the draw distance is so amazing like jaw drop and disturbing sometimes, we can't have that on real hardware, those are using "tables" that change the DD from a track to another, so it doesn't seem to work on real hardware as of this day but this version uses night fog on decorations, buildings, tracks and it changes everything ! It runs fine on emulators ! The + Versions are already amazing on FZX and Climax, they improve the DD distance by much and long times players will appreciate for sure (You can see the track on the big DTD jump at the end of Sector Beta, that's awesome and just an exemple) and play nice on real hardware. On Climax + you'll already notice framerate problems on some tracks, mostly on White Land 2, this one have to be horrible on 4 players mode. The HD draw distance mod will of course make the real hardware suffers if someday it's working on it, I have hope that it remains smooth on time attack (not on all tracks).

You need to apply the patches on the regular FZX US .z64 rom and on the Expansion kit cart hack mod rom (find it on 64DD.org, NUD-EFZE-JPN.n64) :

https://ufile.io/uqr0o

I have problem to make the HD EK rom works on my emulators so you can also have it here :

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/403944770889842689/463535074101428225/F-ZERO_X_HD_-_64DD_CartHack.rar

Enjoy ! It's F-Zero X revolution !!! 20 years after.

Edit : I added night fog mod (NFM) ups files on the + version of F-Zero X and Climax in the zip so the players can enjoy this mod on real hardware. Of course the draw distance is not as good as the EK/1.45 WS versions so sometimes clipping can be brutal, it's also why I didn't mod the original game with its very limited draw distance that didn't fit the NFM.

I also added the version 1.45 wide screen (WS) patch of the 16 MB .z64 rom with and without NFM, that way players can fully enjoy NFM on emulators with a rom that can be modified with custom tracks, I still have to mod that one to Climax 1.2.

Walkman
Mr. EAD
Re: F-Zero X 20th Anniversary
Reply to this Post

Happy birthday indeed! I've only been playing seriously for a year and a half now, but I feel that X will only keep getting better as it ages

. I coincidentally had the whole weekend off of work, so I spent the whole day lowering my sand ocean time by 1.5 seconds. 

🎈❎🎉

ShreyanM
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

Philippe, these patches are brilliant! The improved draw distance makes for a huge overall improvement, especially on Silence - High Speed.

Not to mention that the whole track is already drawn out at the start when it comes to Sand Ocean - Pipe!

Sam-well
Blue Falcon
Reply to this Post

It is nice to see the passion for F-Zero X still living in others as well. For me F-Zero X is a racing game that is second to none. It's genius.

I haven't contributed much, but you have. Thank you and GodSPEED

2huwman
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

Could someone please reupload the + Version patches, as the link above appears to be dead? I've been loving the HD version on PJ64, but want to play the + versions on real hardware!

Philippe Brodier
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

Link updated once again. Enjoy !

2huwman
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

Thanks so much Philippe! 

Sam-well
Blue Falcon
Reply to this Post

F-Zero X turned 20 in Europe on the 6th of November. I remember winter '98, my mom driving through the snow to get me this game, as a reward for my exam studying (bless her).

Thanks you everyone for keeping alive this game I love. Here's to more memorable races and awesome tracks.

A bunch of F-Zero related artwork I collected from the internet:

Sam-well
Blue Falcon
Reply to this Post

@Philippe Brodier: I remember your youtube vid where you continuously do DTD landings on a very narrow track. The track was basically a continuous loop of the same jump. Good stuff

Index » F-Zero X » F-Zero X 20th Anniversary