F-Zero MV
F-Zero X
F-Zero GX
F-Zero SNES
F-Zero Climax F-Zero GP Legend F-Zero MV F-Zero X F-Zero GX F-Zero SNES
Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
GX Rules Resources Videos Ladders Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero GX » Is Dolphin banned from the ladder?
xwidghet
Mr. EAD
Is Dolphin banned from the ladder?
Reply to this Post

I've been playing F-Zero GX for a while now, but I only play it on Dolphin instead of my gamecube since I find it more enjoyable in HD with an Xbox 360 controller. Currently there's no rule stating that it is console only. There used to be a "No ISO" rule which eliminated Dolphin, but now there's nothing explicitly stating that the ladder is console only. 

Dolphin was fixed a while ago to have accurate math calculations to allow perfect gameplay emulation, so I was wondering if all Dolphin runs are banned. I can understand not wanting them due to the risk of people trying to sneak in TAS runs and the amount of effort that would cause for validation. However the unknown worry of if my runs are "valid" is one of the main things holding me back from spending obscene amounts of time grinding to try and match or beat records. Since I'm otherwise only competing against myself, which obviously gets boring after a while.

AKC12
Black Bull
Re: Is Dolphin banned from the ladder?
Reply to this Post

Yes, it is banned. 

Dolphin was fixed a while ago to have accurate math calculations to allow perfect gameplay emulation

This is simply false. The performance of GX varies wildly depending on the performance of the PC. To verify every player who wants to play on Dolphin and submit their times here that GX runs accurately on their PC at all times is just not going to happen. The frames drops that happen could be an unintended benefit, though it can also throw the player off.

Unfortunately the ladder doesn't require mention of which method of playing the game was used. Otherwise I would imagine such times would be allowed to be submitted, but will probably not count towards the official ranking.

All of my GX times with various machines: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12c92zTykQvGwPoCU6yGuOb7lwxFENUC9ELbHZcse1qE/
xwidghet
Mr. EAD
Re: Is Dolphin banned from the ladder?
Reply to this Post
AKC12 wrote:

Yes, it is banned. 

Dolphin was fixed a while ago to have accurate math calculations to allow perfect gameplay emulation

This is simply false.

I specifically ment the actual math that occurs each frame, not run-time performance. I'm very aware that most people probably can't run all tracks/modes at 60fps, as well as performance drops from things like shader compilation.

Thank you for confirming that it is banned, I'll continue to keep my times to myself.

Index » F-Zero GX » Is Dolphin banned from the ladder?