Home Page
F-Zero Central Community Update (Dec.) Championships General Forum Players Photo Album
F-Zero Climax
F-Zero GP Legend
F-Zero MV
F-Zero X
F-Zero GX
F-Zero SNES
F-Zero Climax F-Zero GP Legend F-Zero MV F-Zero X F-Zero GX F-Zero SNES
Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
Latest Times Your Latest Times Your Ranking Summary
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » FZC General Forum » Post your Unpopular F-Zero Opinions
Faizer
Black Bull
Post your Unpopular F-Zero Opinions
Reply to this Post

Basically a thread were we all post our unpopular opinions

I’ll start

-Imo the Wild Goose is actually good in GX, and not as bad as people say

-Climax is the best Mode 7 game, whilst GPL is the worst F-Zero in general 

-Maximum Velocity has almost nothing related to F-Zero (in style) 

-Silence is the best location, and it shouldn’t have been replaced by CP

-Lightning has better music in Climax and GPL than in GX

Reminder,it’s my opinion, but you have the right  to kill me

izder456
Dragon Bird
Re: Post your Unpopular F-Zero Opinions
Reply to this Post
  1. I actually kinda liked f-zero gpl and the mechanics play very well if you modify b to be side attack in the the controls options. I mean yeah, the ai is sorta poo poo buckets, but the overal gameplay and feel of the controls are very good
  2. I like that there is no side attack in FZSNES and FZMV. The side attacks make turning a lot easier, but the whole point of f-zero is not to be easy
  3. F-Zero: GP Legend (anime) and F-Zero: the Legend of the Falcon should both be cannon but in a weird way. They should be cannon for the gba games (with the exception of MV) but not the story overall

Sam-well
Blue Falcon
Reply to this Post

I consider X to be the pinnacle of the franchise, but most people on the internet seem to prefer GX.

Edit: Dunno if you can categorize this under unpopular, but before I knew about X strats & best ships (basically twin noritta for jumper and blood hawk and night thunder for sliding), white cat (Jody Summer) was my vehicle of choice.

In GX I tend to put Kate Alen (black singstress lady) in a custom ship. I'm kind of reluctant to put in Mr. EAD because he's so massive (his weight will drag down the ship!, even though that's absurd XD )

Gomar & Shioh are (a) cool character(s) in the anime. There's an episode where they're fixing a car in their garage and I noticed they always answer twice (twins y' know). You have to be pretty well-coordinated to fly a ship together at those speeds.

kookmaster5000
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

I also think X is the best game. While GX is also a ton of fun and definitely feels like a step up in terms of graphics, it never really had the soul that X had. X felt like a you were playing a 90s comic book; it was so colorful and the music sounded as 90s as humanly possible. GX, while it had some things going for it, very much feels just like a game that SEGA made, if you get me. The tone of the game isn't very coherent and strays away from that comic book inspiration that the original and X both had. The character designs also felt a bit off as well, probably just a symptom of it being their first set of 3D models of all the characters.

I also think I like Maximum Velocity the least. While it has some things going for it, like the awesome main menu theme, I can't help but feel like it doesn't quite control right. I've tried numerous times to give it a shot but I just can't get it. F-Zero on SNES handles almost effortlessly and feels natural, whereas in MV I feel like every car is on ice, even the ones with the most grip. It also just kind of lacked the same quality of OST and interesting locations. I can't remember the name of a single locale in MV that isn't Stark Farm (always thought the name was weird) and Bianca City. I'm not sure if this one is quite the unpopular opinion but I've never seen anyone else say anything bad about this one.

Faizer
Black Bull
Reply to this Post
Faizer wrote:

Basically a thread were we all post our unpopular opinions

I’ll start

-Imo the Wild Goose is actually good in GX, and not as bad as people say

-Climax is the best Mode 7 game, whilst GPL is the worst F-Zero in general 

-Maximum Velocity has almost nothing related to F-Zero (in style) 

-Silence is the best location, and it shouldn’t have been replaced by CP

-Lightning has better music in Climax and GPL than in GX

Reminder,it’s my opinion, but you have the right  to kill me

ya know seeing this makes me wanna commit a suicide finish like dear god

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

X being the best is definitely an unpopular opinion. you'll have a hard time finding people who like it the most out of all F-Zero games outside these places.

personally i feel it has the best flow of gameplay and is greatly enhanced by advanced techs. the track editor is also a big plus but access to it is so limited that almost no one gets to experience that.

"Patience is useful in any moment"
TheMachineMechanic
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

MV is my favourite mode 7 game next to the BS games

IAmTheEg7
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

As someone with experience in every game in the series sans AX, the first thing that comes to mind is that I feel the F-Zero series is greatly underappreciated. Sure, there's this community on FZC, but outside the community the series is seldom known. It's fascinating how few of my Nintendo circle of friends have actually played at least 2 of the F-Zero games. I proudly main Falcon in every Smash game as a symbol of my love for the series.

The second thing I have to say about F-Zero is that I find GX to be the most overrated game in the series. IMO GX doesn't hold a candle to X since it felt way too ambitious for what it wanted to be. Sure, it may look flashy when someone is constantly going over 2000 km/h, but the quirky physics that are abused to go fast are simply too eccentric to be fun. In addition, the fact that 80% of ships are unviable is a terrible way to have a machine roster. It's just like SSBB where if you're not using the top two characters, you'll very likely lose; why do Space Angler, Silver Rat, Red Gazelle, and Cosmic Dolphin even bother existing (or the other ships that aren't Black Bull or Fat Shark)? This game also cramps my hands horribly since when I'm on PB pace I tend to squeeze the blood out of my fingertips in super tight focus with my huge hands on the little GameCube controller. I can't imagine what life would be like if I ever tried to be a snaking player.

A little tangent here: The biggest problem with GX for me is the application of the Sega Learning Curve. This term refers to the mentality of Sega as a game developer preferring to take more risks with its gameplay design that make their games harder for casual first-time players to learn, but more enjoyable for veterans who learn how to use the mechanics in ways that make the games more fun to play. This is in contrast to Nintendo, who reflect on applying the formulas that worked before with a new spin here and there. Sega thrives on ensuring lastability through replayability; in Sonic games once players learn how to apply the physics of the games they become more satisfying to play. The SLC in GX results in players abusing the mechanics and physics of the game engine to break the game in ways the developers probably didn't intend. As I said previously, the physics of GX make the game more replayable, yet I find it to feel like Sonic Unleashed where speed is the only focus that is stressed so hard that you wind up making more mistakes and some more controllable aspects slip through the cracks.

Third, I find F-Zero X to be the most balanced game as well as the most fair. Unlike GX, X is simple to learn but difficult to master. Also unlike GX, any machine has the potential to get a world record - even the worst ones. (Yes, looking at you, Daniel "Choose any machine, I'll get a WR with it" Zia! Very Happy) I have adequate knowledge of every advanced tech in the game except for AGG, yet I never would have thought I could ever be top 100 in X when I submitted my first set of times back in 2015. Once I saw the top players do the speed tech in the game, I picked up a few pointers that some may not specifically mention when describing the tech. Here's a promise: If in the future there ever is an F-Zero X speedrun, I will be more than happy to provide live commentary for it. Perhaps during the next FZC marathon?

Finally, as a nearly top 30 player in GPL, I have a firm belief that this particular game is the best 2D game by far. Everything about it is amazing - the track design, the shortcuts, the bright color palette, the diversity in vehicles, the story mode, and especially the music. Oh yes, the music. As a college graduate with a bachelor of arts in music production, I have come to appreciate how well GPL (and Climax to the same extent) pushes the GBA sound hardware to its limits. Lightning, Mist Flow, and Fire Field in this game are among the best songs in the series, and I have no regrets putting in dozens of hours setting my times and enjoying every second of it.

TL;DR F-Zero as a whole is underappreciated, GX is overrated, X is the most balanced, and GPL is the best 2D game in the series.

Index » FZC General Forum » Post your Unpopular F-Zero Opinions