Home Page
F-Zero Central Community Update (Dec.) Championships General Forum Players Photo Album
F-Zero Climax
F-Zero GP Legend
F-Zero MV
F-Zero X
F-Zero GX
F-Zero SNES
F-Zero Climax F-Zero GP Legend F-Zero MV F-Zero X F-Zero GX F-Zero SNES
Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
Latest Times Your Latest Times Your Ranking Summary
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » FZC General Forum » Adding website features related to proof rules
yoshifan
Fire Stingray
Adding website features related to proof rules
Reply to this Post

I'm currently developing these features, but they aren't available on the site yet.

The biggest motivation for these features right now is to make the new F-Zero Climax proof rules easier to follow and enforce. Ideally, these features would've been implemented before the new proof rules were put in place - but we weren't sure if they'd be strictly needed yet, and I wanted to focus on development of the new FZC site. However, it's clear now that we need to enhance the current site to make the new proof rules more manageable.

Record submission page

Here's what you'll see when submitting your records:

- The 'Platform' field is new, and will only be available for Climax for now, since the console vs. emulator distinction is important for Climax (proof rules are more stringent for emulator). But we could make this platform field available for other games later.

- Up to now, only moderators have been able to add proof. With these changes, everyone will be able to add proof. You click the 'Add Proof' text, or the video icon (which is shown instead when a video is present), and then a video URL field appears. There's also a screenshot URL field which isn't used for anything right now; I just left it in since it was already there.

Here's what moderators will see on someone else's records page:

- The 'Delete' checkbox is new. Up to now, the only way to delete records was for someone with database access and knowledge (these days, generally me) to log into the server and punch in SQL commands manually. With these changes, any mod will be able to delete individual records in the event of rule violations / proof call situations.

- The 'Verified' checkbox is new. When the rules call for video proof, mods need a way to track which videos have already been checked for validity. So this is how we can do it.

- Moderators will not see these extra fields when editing their OWN records page. It was brought up recently in mod discussions that it's poor practice for mods to verify their own records.

- Of course, if you edit your own record or video URL, it wouldn't make sense for the record to stay verified if it had previously been verified. So the 'verified' value will get reset in that case, and a mod will have to check out your new record/video and re-verify.

- Those of you familiar with speedrun.com may know that they have a verification-queue feature, where records pending verification aren't added to the rankings until they're verified. Due to the way the FZC site stores records, I don't think this is feasible for us to implement yet. But we can definitely look at this for the new FZC site.

- There is a question of whether regular users should be able to delete their own times instead of going through a mod, but IMO that's beyond the scope of this thread. For now, I just wanted to make it easier for us mods to handle deletions.

Other pages

Course views will show proof status (with the icon linking to the video URL), the platform used (just in Climax for now), and ship used:

The Latest Times page will also show these fields, providing a way for mods to check recent submissions for unverified videos:

I also plan to add the fields to individual players' records pages. There are two such pages: one with a single table, one with a table per cup.

Feel free to leave questions/comments/suggestions. And when these features are rolled out, please report any bugs or other problems you find.

There's one obvious idea that I'd like to delay until the new FZC site, if at all possible: filtering rankings based on platform (or on anything else). Filtering would be very limited on the current site, since it can only save one record per user + course + record type. That's why previous FZC devs had to add completely separate ladders for different playing styles in GX and X.

Here's a video showing that the new FZC site will have a lot of focus on ranking filters, and generally being able to submit multiple records per course: https://youtu.be/X-RI4_BV258

In general you can find major updates on FZC site development here (there has been progress on the new site since the last post, but admittedly it's going slower than we'd like): https://fzerocentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=13771

yoshifan
Fire Stingray
Re: Adding website features related to proof rules
Reply to this Post

The site features described above are almost ready. We'll soon launch the features, and also modify the Climax rules accordingly. Rule change 1:

- Video proof is required for top 10 times and the video must be linked in the comments Video Link field of your submission. videos don't have a limit in quality and at minimum should be recorded using the GBA's native resolution (240x160) and framerate.

Rule change 2:

- You must label your times as "Set on Emulator" and include "mGBA [version]" in the comments of your submission. if all your times are set on Emulator, write "All Times Set on Emulator" within your time sheet. You must choose "mGBA [version used]" in the Platform field of your submission.

If there are no objections in the next 3 days (72 hours), we'll carry out the above plan. (By the way, this is a test of a new protocol for FZC staff decisions. See this new subforum.)

Once the new features are available, we highly encourage all players (especially Climax emulator players) to edit their existing submissions to use the Video Link fields and Platform fields. However, editing your existing submissions is not required. If you don't do it, then a site mod can do it.

When the new features are available, mods may start verifying players' submitted Video Links. When the new features have been available for 48 hours, mods may start filling in Video Links and Platforms for players. Note that Video Links will be available in all games, not just Climax.

Valyssa
Wild Goose
Reply to this Post

Thanks for all your hard work Yoshifan! I really like the way this looks. It always confused me how only mods could add proof to times, while that's something every player should be able to do. So being able to do that, and then have mods verify times, as well as proper mention of the platform being used, is fantastic. On the new site there's definitely some quality of life additions that could be done (notifications "your time [x] has been verified!" and the queue you mentioned, but this is definitely going to improve things for now.

THE GOOSE IS LOOSE
yoshifan
Fire Stingray
Reply to this Post

The features are now available, and Climax proof rules have been updated! If you find bugs, post them here.

Thanks Valyssa - and agreed that "time has been verified" notifications are definitely something to look into for the upcoming new site.

yoshifan
Fire Stingray
Reply to this Post
yoshifan wrote:

When the new features have been available for 48 hours, mods may start filling in Video Links and Platforms for players. Note that Video Links will be available in all games, not just Climax.

It's been 48 hours, so this now applies.

Note that mods have added Video Links for a few players in the past, but this 48 hour thing was just to give the majority of players a chance to tidy up their own times page before mods start doing it.

vegan
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

hey I just wanted to suggest adding a platform field for f-zero x as well since the rules allow setting times on multiple platforms (N64, Wii VC, and Wii U VC). the expansion kit can also be played either on original hardware or on a flash cart. it's not a really important distinction for the base game since there isn't any additional proof required, but it could be useful for people who set times for the expansion kit on a flash cart instead of an actual N64DD since they are required to disclose that in the comments section.

yoshifan
Fire Stingray
Reply to this Post

Sorry about missing this. But yeah, I'm still open to adding platform options for games besides Climax - it's relatively easy work on my end. I guess it's just a matter of agreeing what the options are for each game (or each ladder, if there's a reason to have different options for different ladders). Having separate platform options for N64DD vs. flash cart would certainly makes sense when X has a rule like that.

Index » FZC General Forum » Adding website features related to proof rules