Home Page
F-Zero Central Community Update (Dec.) Championships General Forum Players Photo Album
F-Zero Climax
F-Zero GP Legend
F-Zero MV
F-Zero X
F-Zero GX
F-Zero SNES
F-Zero Climax F-Zero GP Legend F-Zero MV F-Zero X F-Zero GX F-Zero SNES
Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
GP Legend Rules Resources Videos Ladders Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero GP Legend » F-Zero GP Legend: e+ Complete
Guy_Perfect
Black Bull
F-Zero GP Legend: e+ Complete
Reply to this Post

How did I forget to post about this here yesterday? Maybe I thought everyone was in the Discord or something...

Well hey, all them e-Reader cards wound up getting archived about a year ago, even the 20 rare and elusive Carddass cards that were lost up until then. So I took the opportunity to make a mod of the game that incorporates all of the e-Reader content  (courses, ghosts, and for the Japanese version, machine unlocks) into all three versions of the game.

Here are the highlights:

From the readme:
All versions
 • Time Attack and Training are now permanently unlocked
 • Card e+ is now permanently added to Time Attack and Training
 • All 20 e-Reader courses are available in the Card e+ cup
 • Challenge ghosts are available on select courses
 • Existing save files will automatically be migrated on first boot

Japanese version
 • e-Reader exclusive machines are now available if they were still locked
 • The e-Reader+ option has been removed from the Link menu

PAL version
 • The Card e+ cup menu has been localized for each language

This brings an additional 20 courses to the game for competitive participation, which I figure is the best part!

Although it's been submitted to RomHacking.net, it's in approval hell and there are still submissions in the queue from August, so there's no telling when it will go public. In the meantime, one of my associates, Matthew Green over at PressTheButtons.com, has posted an article about the mod complete with a download link. Until further notice, this will be the best place to snag it.

Guy_Perfect
Black Bull
Re: F-Zero GP Legend: e+ Complete
Reply to this Post

The submission was approved on RomHacking.net:

www.romhacking.net/hacks/5366/

Mandalore
Jet Vermilion
Reply to this Post

Nice work! If I wanted to play this on my GBA, what would I need to get? I take it I can't patch my actual copy of GPL?

On the slightly related topic of game coding and version differences, is there anything obvious in the coding that would account for Zero Test B2 having slightly different goal line boundaries in the Japanese version? I'm wondering if there are any other similar things we just aren't aware of yet.

Guy_Perfect
Black Bull
Reply to this Post
Mandalore wrote:

Nice work! If I wanted to play this on my GBA, what would I need to get? I take it I can't patch my actual copy of GPL?

You can't modify an official copy of the game unless you take a soldering iron after the cartridge. This mod is useful to those who run emulation or flash cartridges.

Mandalore wrote:

On the slightly related topic of game coding and version differences, is there anything obvious in the coding that would account for Zero Test B2 having slightly different goal line boundaries in the Japanese version? I'm wondering if there are any other similar things we just aren't aware of yet.

It's not unusual for challenge requirements to get changed across versions of a game. I remember Super Mario Bros. Deluxe had some pretty astounding high score requirements in the North American release, but the goals were drastically lowered in the Japanese version.

RadioShadow
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

Amazing work Guy_Perfect! I will need to put this on my flash card.

I did post the list of e+ cards on the wiki, but some idiot didn't think it was worth having that information on there. You can still view them: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=F-Zero:_GP_Legend_(video_game)&diff=514023539&oldid=514023283#List_of_e+_Cards

There was also a topic where I discussed the translation names: https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=14903.0

Curious to see how what the translation names you have used.

Index » F-Zero GP Legend » F-Zero GP Legend: e+ Complete