F-Zero MV
F-Zero X
F-Zero GX
F-Zero SNES
F-Zero Climax F-Zero GP Legend F-Zero MV F-Zero X F-Zero GX F-Zero SNES
Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
GP Legend Rules Resources Videos Ladders Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero GP Legend » F-Zero GPL: Post your improvements Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
F-Zero GPL: Post your improvements
Reply to this Post
Root Topic
this is a good moment to start playing this game again...
"Patience is useful in any moment"
Copernicus
Blood Hawk
Re: F-Zero GPL: Post your improvements
Reply to this Post

When I first tried using sliders I had the same problem.  It helps to understand the differences between MV and GPL.  In MV vehicles lose speed soon after entering a drift, but if boosting the speed loss can be negated, creating boost extended drifts.  In GPL vehicles don't really lose speed when drifting so extended drifts can be used when not boosting.  In MV do to the speed loss players have to chain shorter drifts for drift driving technique.  In GPL you need to take fewer larger drifts, effectively becoming an extendend drift driving technique (EDDT).

The common error players make when starting to use EDDT is that they take turns and straight-aways wide in order to perform longer drifts.  Taking things wide adds time, which negates the time that would have been gained by going faster by drifting.  EDDT only works if you're taking the track just as tight as when using a jumper.  This requires a player to learn what angles to take corners at to produce a tight drift turn that leads into a tight line (EDDT) through the following straight-away.  Don't be mislead by how much a slider turns at the beginning of a drift.  Eventually it'll level-out, moving in almost a straight line.  The Night Thunder seems to produce the straightest line when it enters an extended drift.  The Golden Fox's extended drift isn't as straight.  Although the Night Thunder is the best in the end, you can still use the Golden Fox for tracks with shorter or fewer straight-aways and shorter/more turns.

BretStiles
Blue Falcon
Reply to this Post

that is very intersting.... so it's not about starting wide.. but driving like a jumper?????  man.. it defies all the rules, so this might be a mind trick to get me to think differently on driving this way, lol

maybe you would have a recomendation on what course is best to start out with drifting?  Smile

JkLoser
Jet Vermilion
Reply to this Post

I would like to say Coper is 75% right. Sometimes you should try to "widen" your slide. If you do a normal drift you can't force it as fast to a certain angle, or to not be forced to drive straight, or use a useless drift, to prove my point I will take Richard Taro's MCTP2 video.

First straight, boost laps. Instead of doing like Taro, if you widen the first left drift a bit just, then do a drift around the corners, you will gain time.

first refiller, boost laps. Richard taro drives straight for like 1 second here, loosing usefull 0"0x time, if you make a wide drift here, you won't lose "that" much angle, and hit the refiller, making your time faster.

I want to point out also there's different kind "widen", and that you have to use "widen" tech depending on track and place. But this is ofcourse only my opinion, I'm just trying to be helpful at times :)

Also tracks I would recomend:

MCTP1-2, MCMC and maybe BBBB :)

Edit: I know Coper doesn't say never to use it, but it almost sounded like it's bad if it's wide.

Old and tired... ;p
BretStiles
Blue Falcon
Reply to this Post

well... I think I understand... but it may take a while to see improvements with drifting...  Smile  But thank you

MCTP 1'24"22

MCTP2 1'27"91

MC  1'04"31  lap: 11"96

RC  1'07"46

Copernicus
Blood Hawk
Reply to this Post

Maybe my choice of words could have been better.  Every track has an ideal racing line.  A racing line is composed of distance and speed.  On some tracks the line that travels the least amount of distance isn't the line that produces the most speed.  A player needs to decide what speed/distance ratio they think will produce the best time.  For instance, on the Mist Flow Front and Back tracks I avoided the turbo plates on my flaps, since doing so produced a tighter line.  I think of how closely a vehicle holds the ideal line as either tight or wide.  Being close to the line is tight and straying from the line is wide.  It's really relative to the strat as opposed to the track.

If you want to learn EDDT a good track is Mist Flow Clip Oval 2.  Just take the Night Thunger and try to perform drifts that are as long as possible on it.  This will also teach you the idea of taking turns at a specific angle, since the two square turns past the pit area can be taken with a single drift if you do it correctly.

Edit:  I just gave Mist Flow Clip Oval 2 a try myself and improved my flap:  0'23"65, NT 0%.

Copernicus
Blood Hawk
Reply to this Post

I'm trying to get my old world record back:

Port Town Forked Road:  Lap:  0'05"04, BH 0%.

Copernicus
Blood Hawk
Reply to this Post

Now that the leaderboard displays the top 10 on Zero Test I decided to get into the top ten:

C1:  0'05"56

C3:  0'04"88

C4:  0'04"28

C10:  0'15"66

C12:  0'15"87

B3:  0'07"53

B5:  0'09"05

B7:  0'10"06

B12:  0'24"88

A8:  0'07"33

A9:  0'11"00

S7:  0'20"78

S9:  0'23"96

S10:  0'18"79

These were all done at 0/16 engine setting.

Copernicus
Blood Hawk
Reply to this Post

I hadn't time attacked in a while so:

Big Blue Big Blue:  1'32"25, NT 4/16.

The opener was bad.  I'll try harder next time.

Copernicus
Blood Hawk
Reply to this Post

I noticed RichardTaro finally subbed 9 minutes on the zero test ladder.  I've always wondered when someone would make the sub.  Now we have new subs in both GPL and X.  I guess 2010 is the year of the subs.

C2:  0'04"55

C6:  0'04"54

C9:  0'08"68

B6:  0'08"50

B9:  0'06"94

S1:  0'06"26

S3:  0'11"10.

Copernicus
Blood Hawk
Reply to this Post

B10:  0'21"46

B11:  0'13"16

S8:  0'18"71.

I made it to 8th, but now I'm facing the large gap to Onizuka.

Copernicus
Blood Hawk
Reply to this Post

I got around to playing again:

A3:  0'12"77, 0/16.

Copernicus
Blood Hawk
Reply to this Post

I made another improvement so I could test what would happen if someone tried to update a time on a ladder with only one record:

A4:  0'06"46, 0/16.

Nothing crashed like I was suspecting it would.

Copernicus
Blood Hawk
Reply to this Post

Pro Tour Coperncius gave me time to work on copernicuts:

Mute City Expansion Park 1:  Course:  1'48"01, DC 0%, 3/3 copernicuts

Mute City Expansion Park 2:  Course:  1'50"09, DC 0%, 3/3 copernicuts

Red Canyon Peak Jump 2:  Course:  1'32"74, DC 0%, 2/4 copernicuts.

I also improved my Lightning Volute 2 course time, but I did it using lap inversion, and I don't know if we discussed that yet.  I don't think it would be banned (it's currently not).  Lap inversion turns a backwards lap into a forwards lap using LVTT.  During a forwards lap LVTT normaly registers two laps because both the air goal and ground goal register a lap going forwards.  During a backwards lap using the air goal will remove the backwards status, and the ground goal will register a forwarsd lap, effectively turning a backwards lap into a forwards lap.  I only used 2 out of 4 lap inversions in my improvement (I haven't gotten more than that yet).  The actual course time I got was 1'52"55.  The best inverted lap I've done is 0'06"27.  With 4 perfect lap inversions it would be possible to sub 1 minute.  Using lap inversion makes the Lightning Volute 2 strat like Sand Ocean Caterpillars or Port Town Forked Roads.  Lap Inversion could also be used on Mute City Expansion Parks but I haven't successfully implemented it during a course attempt yet.

Mandalore
Jet Vermilion
Reply to this Post

Could you make a video of this new LV2 strat?

Copernicus
Blood Hawk
Reply to this Post

I've gotten back around to GPL:

A5:  0'06"41, 0/16

A6:  0'08"97, 0/16

A7:  0'06"62, 0/16.

I haven't made that video yet but it's on my to do list.

SuperSkanvis
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

Been working on Mute City: Expansion park 2 recently:

Total: 2'00''96 Mighty Typhoon

Lap: 0'22''99 Mighty Typhoon

Copernicus
Blood Hawk
Reply to this Post

JuggerKnop had past me, so I decided to work on my weaker times:

Big Blue Slip Highway 1:  Lap:  0'17"98, NT 0/16

Big Blue Slip Highway 2:  Lap:  0'17"95, NT 0/16.

I refuse to be knocked out of the top three on the lap ladder.  I love my bronze medal too much!

Copernicus
Blood Hawk
Reply to this Post

I decided to put more distance between myself and JuggerKnop:

White Land 2:  Lap:  0'19"30, Great Star 0/16.

I wasn't expecting Great Star to be so useful.

Parrotman707
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

Sand Ocean Catterpillar.

0'49'54 Twin Noritta.

Lap 6'72

Parrotman707
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

Mute City 1 1'04'91

EDIT-26.01.2011- 1'04'43

Index » F-Zero GP Legend » F-Zero GPL: Post your improvements Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next