F-Zero MV
F-Zero X
F-Zero GX
F-Zero SNES
F-Zero Climax F-Zero GP Legend F-Zero MV F-Zero X F-Zero GX F-Zero SNES
Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
X Rules Resources Videos Ladders Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero X » F-Zero X Time Attack Tool Assisted Speedrun Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
samurai goroh
Fat Shark
F-Zero X Time Attack Tool Assisted Speedrun
Reply to this Post
Root Topic

From comicalflop at TASvideos.org

"I'm thinking (*read disclaimer at bottom*) about starting a Tool Assisted Speedrun (using an emulator, in this case mupen 64, using slowdown and savestates for 100% perfection) of F-Zero X Time Attack mode, matching or beating all the WR's. The WR's are pretty tight, but I'm sure that tool assistance could either prove that a WR is otpimal, or show the course taken to the max. Basically all conceivable shortcuts, speed tactics, and advanced techniques would be utilized in order to get the absolute fastest time on each course. The run would go through all 20 courses in sequential order.

The main driver would be Blood Hawk, on max acceleration. On a few courses if a driver change is nescessary, it will be done. A code will be used at the start to access all drivers and courses.

If anyone has any suggestions on changes to make to the WR's, please feel free to make them. I've already studied the WR's and thought of a few possible additions already, ones that are incredibly gutsy to do and that are out of reach of normal human playing. If anyone knows of specific tricks that have not been accomplished yet for this reason, let me know because a skilled player will be sure to know what tricks haven't been done yet and what some I may have thought of are indeed not possible.

At the moment I'm doing little experimentations to get familiar with the game, and currently noodling around with Mute City and trying to match the pace of the WR for that course (and hardly succeeding .) It should be noted that I have never played this game before and in real time suck at it, but that is never a factor for a TAS, since the game is mostly on pause as I advance frame by frame.

I've taken the liberty to do as much research into the advanced techniques as possible, from the difference between slider and jumper cars, to floating, and angled dives, etc. By no means have I mastered them, but I have the vids and the descriptions, and from that I should be able to deduce how to replicate/optimize them.

Assuming that I work on this, all videos will be posted right here on the first page for easy downloading. I will encode the vids myself, with a noticable amount of high quality that will distinguish it between a recorded videotape and emulation.
Comments, questions, pointers, and everything in between is highly saught after.

*Disclaimer*
I have not started this run yet. I am unsure if I am going to follow through with this; if I don't, I will delete this post.

I am unsure how much work a project like this will require; if it's to much, I will have to back down. This game is very complicated, but I've mastered many many games from scratch, and become quite a perfectionist in how I approach games, so hopefully this will be no different.

I am an incredibly distractful person, and currently working on other TASes, namely Mario Kart 64, Ocarina of Time, Yoshi Story, StarFox 64, and A Link to the Past, to name a few. This amount of workload will likely get the better of me, and starting on this may not be such a hot idea, but it's very attention grabbing.

At the moment my progress of this is secret to the TASvideos.org site. Please do not divulge to them that I am working on this."

LordTom
Golden Fox
Re: F-Zero X Time Attack Tool Assisted Speedrun
Reply to this Post

Looking ahead, DF2 is next with AGG and a fair amount of floating - was thinking of using a light CAD car (Mighty Typhoon or Sonic Falcon), and filling out Queen with these car choices:

MC2 (lots of sliding) - Blood Hawk

BB2 (moderate sliding and railsliding) - Night Thunder

WL (lots of floating/DTD without much sliding) - Twin Noritta

I've also been looking at the existing Death Race TAS by xenos as a change of pace.  Looking at it slowed down, he takes big boosts off dead cars he bounces off the walls; in my initial testing this is quite tricky to do.  Not sure why he chose the car he did either (Golden Fox, mid-weight DAD).

As always I'd appreciate any advice, thanks!

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

i think the reason was that he didn't know the code that unlocks everything existed.

that code was rarely known.

"Patience is useful in any moment"
FunStyle
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

For Devils Forest 2 i can say that i once did a TAS that is equal to the strategy daniel uses in his world record.

What maybe might help you (i dont think its likely to help) is my Lap TAS where i show a nice way of finishing the track. Im not sure if this is possible in a 3lap, but we will see...

watch?v=QTgl-JGZqN4

Somehow i cant post links...

The Legend never dies-
LordTom
Golden Fox
Reply to this Post

Thanks, that's a nice lap strat.  Finding a way to cut off that last corner on lap 3 seems worth looking into, so some sort of dive onto a rail would be needed, I'll just have to see what the options are given (presumably) a lower speed entering lap 3...

LordTom
Golden Fox
Reply to this Post

Finished death race in 6.043.  I'm gonna try one more strat to see if I can sub 6 seconds.  Hopefully it works and I'll post the vid in the next day or two...

LordTom
Golden Fox
Reply to this Post

This improves the prior TAS time of 8.927 by Katsukawa Sojuro; note that 2s of "improvement" are due to the stylistic choice of the prior author not stopping the timer early by falling off the track.  This prior TAS was very helpful.

I use the wide-angle view because it's easier (for me and viewers) to see what's going on.  And quite a bit is going on - ships get flung everywhere when they die and can interact with both the player and other ships, making planning, patience and experimentation crucial.

One key technique is to boost off dead ships by crashing into them at the right angle after they bounce off a wall.  Otherwise, I tried to preserve the ships in their original line-ups and swing through them for maximum efficiency.  When ships would get out of position I'd try to use other ships to adjust them.  This was very meticulously done in setting up the "endgame", where the lead ship was forced to slow down by hitting a dead car, and then killed simultaneously with another ship.  At that point I slow down as fast as possible and kill the remaining 4 ships, which I'd managed to bunch together very tightly, at the same time generating speed to fly off the edge and stop the timer.

Regarding car choice, the movement of the first two cars destroyed seems driven entirely by which ship you choose. There are only 3 or 4 patterns; Golden Fox gives the best pattern where both cars break immediately to the middle. Crazy Bear, Mighty Hurricane and Great Star (heavier high boost cars) give bad patterns. Also, GF is heavy enough to kill easily, and lighter weight = faster steering - obviously important for this challenge!

Prior TAS:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shit8eVjBug

LordTom
Golden Fox
Reply to this Post

Forum not working on my new laptop so it took me a few days to post this...MC1 in 50.99 NTSC, 12 seconds faster than my original TAS.  Thanks to CMV and Jagg_zero.

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

lol i never expected to see AGG used from lap 1.

i wonder if there's anyone willing to try that strat in real time.

"Patience is useful in any moment"
CMV
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

Big Hand (PAL): 2'05"432 (50"845 - 37"608 - 36"979) - [converted to NTSC: 1'44"526 (42"370 - 31"340 - 30"815)]

So, when I was trying this strat on console, I wondered by how much you could beat the real-time WR, which is with the old strat though. I used slowdows (mostly 25% speed) and savestates, also no special TAS-input-plugins, just the preinstalled NRage controller plugin since that one works best with my N64 controller. Did that one without frame advance because it would have taken forever. Anyway, Lap 1 and 2 are not maxed out, since I spent the most time on the 3rd lap, especially the very last slide. Rerecords: 1570.

1st Lap: Same strategy as the world record.

2nd Lap: Switchslide and first part of the "straightway" were same as WR. Did one extra boost on the ice part. Later I braked down at the refiller. I also "snaked" a bit, because it slows you down more and helps to refill the energy faster. In the last turn I did a boostslide since I had enough energy for it.

3rd Lap: Switchslide and first ice part are same again. This time I've saved the last boost for the little turn between the fingers, so I slowed down a bit on the ice part. I actually thought about not doing a boostslide in the last turn in Lap 2 to save some energy for this ice part, but it's slower. I spent almost 2 hours on the very last turn, since I wanted the last lap to be sub 37". Lap 3 is the most perfect of them all I would say.

Adapted this strategy from WMJ's run.

JAGG_ZERO
Golden Fox
Reply to this Post

Sand Ocean 1 TAS [0'32"501]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLV6H-49950

Also, Peach 2 (Royal Raceway Remix) TAS [1'16"445]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kGN8TBxK1g

LordTom
Golden Fox
Reply to this Post
Wow! Is there a trick to doing an AGG float off those dives and being able to climb while still maintaining so much speed? It looks like you're using AGG at least...whenever I tried though I'd very quickly lose speed so couldn't do anything even close to this, that's why I used the regular float in my TAS. I'm very curious, great job!
JAGG_ZERO
Golden Fox
Reply to this Post

The trick is to get the machine at the right kind of angle and the control stick pointing at a specific down+right / down+left position while side attacking. From what I can tell, this somehow takes advantage of the physics that makes DTDing possible but without actually diving.

Looking at my .m64, the control stick positions I used were around >17 v66 once I dropped below 2000 km/h, and as little as >5 v68 towards the end where the ship's angle was more extreme and speed was rising up to around 2100km/h.

LordTom
Golden Fox
Reply to this Post
Thanks for the explanation, that's quite a discovery! I do remember a few times when I was working on SO way back and trying the AGG dive into the 1st tunnel that I'd occasionally end up flattening out vertically and just DTD'ing along at like 2000 speed until I was off the map. I wasn't able to usefully climb or turn, though, so I gave up...clearly prematurely!
JAGG_ZERO
Golden Fox
Reply to this Post

Mute City 2 TAS [0'41"683] (by comparison, the NTSC WR is 0'55"875)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xR1XQAkY-o

Also, Research Lab 3 TAS [0'39"492]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CP7A2co9Yw

JAGG_ZERO
Golden Fox
Reply to this Post

Vanilla Track: Mute City 1 (again) [0'39"890]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=debTwRhI__I

Custom track: Step Remix RR [1"06"153]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhJP7zF_2Vg

JAGG_ZERO
Golden Fox
Reply to this Post

EK Track: Sand Ocean 3 [0'46"213]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFNGoAP02eQ

Normally when I TAS a track and get a very low time, it's because I use lots of crazy AGG. Not so much in this case Smile

JAGG_ZERO
Golden Fox
Reply to this Post

Vanilla Track: Rainbow Road [1'07"160]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NMUKjuPOLc

Custom Track: Odd Town 4 - France [0'52"246]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wMK7CdrDQs

JAGG_ZERO
Golden Fox
Reply to this Post

Custom Track: Rainbow Road (Mario Kart DS) [1'23"111]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2nRGwymtMo

To make up for the lack of a Vanilla Track TAS (that's coming in a couple of weeks or w/e because it's a Jumper VS Slider TAS and that means ~twice the work), here's a Reverse Joker Cup GP Mode TAS by julius:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzGsAGGte8s

As the link sugests, there's lots of AGG here. The optimisation and boost management in this TAS could be improved but it's a good watch nonetheless.

samurai goroh
Fat Shark
Nice TASes guys
Reply to this Post

Those are some nice TASes

Have you (or Julius) considered doing a full TAS of a normal course? This is one of (if not the) most anticipated TAS of a videogame for me since I knew about what a TAS was, and that comes from long time ago (+10 years)...

JAGG_ZERO
Golden Fox
Re: Nice TASes guys
Reply to this Post

I'm definitely considering it. At the very least, I aim to "pitch in" by releasing a vanilla track TAS every 2 months between the 9th and 15th of that month or thereabouts (I say as I missed posting a vanilla track this time Razz), focusing mostly on the harder tracks that use crazy AGG.

If I were to take this on fully, I almost certainly won't be TASing at the same rate I was TASing F-Zero X Climax (1 cup every 1.5-2 months and maybe a custom track TAS on the side).

Index » F-Zero X » F-Zero X Time Attack Tool Assisted Speedrun Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next