Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
Climax Rules Resources Videos Ladders Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero Climax » Sprites
Black_ShadowGX
Blue Falcon
Sprites
Reply to this Post

Just wondering, if anyone out there has tried to make sprites of the AX machines and Dark Schneider to go with this game?

Or know of a location where I can find some? I recently downloaded the Rom of this game, and got intrested in rewriting some parts of this game.

Answers much apperciated.

2000kmporhora
Golden Fox
Re: Sprites
Reply to this Post
Black_ShadowGX wrote:

Just wondering, if anyone out there has tried to make sprites of the AX machines and Dark Schneider to go with this game?

Or know of a location where I can find some? I recently downloaded the Rom of this game, and got intrested in rewriting some parts of this game.

Answers much apperciated.

i don't know if anyone has made a hack whit custom sprites...

-ta olhando o q?!-
customracer209
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

Did you finish making them? If you did, can you post the codes?

samurai goroh
Fat Shark
I don't think he was working on them...
Reply to this Post
Black_ShadowGX
Blue Falcon
Reply to this Post

Dude I wasn't working on sprites I was wondering if people knew of someone or a place were I could find some.

customracer209
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

My little brother said there is a program that allows you to edit sprites and put them in gameplay!

customracer209
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

Why don't you go to www.spriters-resource.com and get some F-Zero Climax Sprites and edit them yourself? Then get a sprite hacking program and let the busting begin. Then, you can play AX in the PC in 2D.

samurai goroh
Fat Shark
Reply to this Post
customracer209 wrote:

My little brother said there is a program that allows you to edit sprites and put them in gameplay!

I've used Tile Layer Pro & recently Tile Molester for sprite editors/viewers.

If you're not experience, I recommend you to start with TLP, because is simpler to use, but also more limited.

Now, if you know what you're doing or got the hang of it, jump to TM, it has tons of stuff, you can even extract the palette from the file if you know the location. The only thing I think it misses that TLP has, is the ability to re-arrange the sprites as desired w/o modifying the game...

From what I can see, the 1st color of the palette is the background color, which is usually removed from the game (like if it was transparent). I recommend you to change it to a light color like grey or even white to see easier the sprites. Also, the 2nd color usually is the border of the sprite & generally has the black color. Other than that, the color palette can be anything...

At last, if someone is planning to insert the sprites, don't forget that the image & the palette are stored apart. So, if you insert the sprite into the game, you'll need to look where the palette is stored, otherwise it'll use the colors of the old image. BTW, sometimes sprites share the same palette, so that's something to take into account if you plan to modify the palette...

samurai goroh
Fat Shark
Example using TM
Reply to this Post

Here's an example of how to use Tile Molester to view an image:

• Open Tile Molester & load the F-zero Climax rom
  • Goto the next offset, press Ctrl + G:
    • 00BFAF08 (hex)
  • On the menu go to Palette -> Import From -> This File...
  • Use the next input:
    • Offset: 3614552 (dec)
    • Size: 16
    • Format: 15bpp BGR (555)

Now you can start to see the image, but you can arrange the tiles to see them better:

• On the menu go to View -> Block Size -> Custom...
    • Columns: 8
    • Rows: 8

And there you have it, you can now clearly watch the announcer. If you want to edit it, I recommend you to check "Block Grid" & "Tile Grid" for orientation.

As for the palette, you'll need a Hex Editor & change the offset 372758 (hex). The colors ared stored as 15bpp, which means that it uses 5 bits for each color & the MSB bit isn't used. I'm not sure, but I think is stored like as the SNES. Here's a link to to a topic I made on another forum regarding the palette...

customracer209
Black Bull
Re: Example using TM
Reply to this Post

When I get to live in a house, I'll get started. By the way, Most of the machines are boring.

samurai goroh
Fat Shark
This should be useful ;)
Reply to this Post

Still WIP, but this should be useful ;)

http://www.erick.guillen.com.mx/Fzero_Climax.htm

customracer209
Black Bull
Re: This should be useful ;)
Reply to this Post

Yeah, but, if I were to turn Moon Shadow into Blue Thunder, how would that work?

samurai goroh
Fat Shark
I though it would be easy to understand now...
Reply to this Post

Well, you'll need several tools to do it:

• Tile Molester: To open & edit images
  • A Hex Editor: To change the palette used, I recommend you Hackman Hex Editor, but you can use any.

Open Tile Molester & load the game, then press Ctrl + G to go the next offset: 774828 (hex).
You'll see some random images, change the block size (as mentioned on some post before) to 4 rows & 4 columns, now you can see a car rotation.
The last thing is to load the palette, which is located at 13622656 (dec) (check my other post to know how to load it).

Now you can perfectly see the car rotating, there are 32 different images (plus some others with a bigger size which won't be displayed correctly). You can start editing the images if you like now (by using the brush), I recommend you to check the Block & maybe the Tile grids to see how much space corresponds for each angle. I think you can also import images, but never tried. Just remember that you can only use up to 16 different colors, which is what the palette can hold. As for editing the palette itself, that were you have to use the editor, just go to the address CFDD80 (hex) [or 13622656 (dec)] & change the values (they are stored as 15bbp as mentioned on the thread I made on another forum)...

samurai goroh
Fat Shark
Reply to this Post
customracer209 wrote:

Yeah, but, if I were to turn Moon Shadow into Blue Thunder, how would that work?

Oh if you meant Night Thunder, then instead of creating the images by yourself, you could just export the images of Night Thunder & insert them into the ones of Moon Shadow (using edit -> copy to... & edit -> paste from...) I guess. Then you would need to change the palette using a Hex Editor...

Edit: Or you could just copy all the addresses (with a Hex Editor) used by Night Thunder & paste them into Moon Shadow's...

customracer209
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

I'll take the time to look at the instructions and try editing those boring machines myself. Thanks.

DeathWindPico
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

No, i think he actually meant "blue thunder" from F-Zero 2.  I found some videos of that game on youtube.

So do you have to replace characters and ships or is there a way to add more to the bottom of the list?  This is one of those games where I can't think of a single character I could live without (excluding a few duplicates like hyper zoda)

Also, the ship sprites look like they were created from 3d renders.  Does anyone know how they edited the finished renders to make them suitable for use in the game (reducing the size of the color pallet and so on)?

customracer209
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

Well, as samurai goroh said, you'd need tools to do that.

I tried to use use the programs, but I didn't know where to start. I might try again when I finally find it on this new laptop. Then I guess, I'll replace Red Bull with Spark Moon, Blue Falcon GT with Dark Schneider...Aaanyway those would just be tests.

Index » F-Zero Climax » Sprites