Home Page
F-Zero Central Community Update (Jul.) Championships General Forum Players Photo Album
F-Zero Climax
F-Zero GP Legend
F-Zero MV
F-Zero X
F-Zero GX
F-Zero SNES
F-Zero Climax F-Zero GP Legend F-Zero MV F-Zero X F-Zero GX F-Zero SNES
Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
X Rules Resources Videos Ladders Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero X » F-ZERO X - Create Machine (Beta 1.6 and Progress Report) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
RadioShadow
Black Bull
F-ZERO X - Create Machine (Beta 1.6 and Progress Report)
Reply to this Post
Root Topic
For Version 1.5 of the tool, go here: www.fzerocentral.org/viewtopic.php

Version 1.6 (Beta): www.mediafire.com/
Programming Langauge: Visual Basic Net (2010)
Operating System: Windows (32-bit or 64-bit)
Microsoft NET Framework 4.0 must be installed: www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx

This is the new imporved beta version of the "F-ZERO X - Create Machine" tool.  It has been coded from scratch using "Visual Basic Net".  Just to mention that there are features that incomplete / not added let.  You can still make a Custom Machine using this tool, like in the previous version.  A few things that you will not find in this tool are:
- Images (Pilots, parts etc).
- 64 Expansion Pack colors.
- Can't create Super Machines.
- Only make codes for USA version.
- No buttons to press to enter text in Name box.
- No text input restrictions (any letter can type / pasted).

Feel free to suggest any improvements or things you don't like about the tool.  Feel free to report any bugs / crashes that occur.

Please do not mention the following:
- Adding in a 3D / 2D preview of the machine.  There are no plans for me to code this in.
- Mention any badly written English / spelling mistakes that you find in the tool.
- Saving / Loading the custom machine.  It's something I would like to add in a future update and won't be programmed in in V1.6.
RadioShadow
Black Bull
Re: F-ZERO X – Create Machine (Progress Report)
Reply to this Post
Not posted an update on the situation of this tool.  Well, there are two things I will mention:
1 - I've not been working on the tool much this year.
2 - I plan to release an update next year.

Basically, I've been having these ideas on improving the "Create Machine" tool, but not a lot of time to code.  Hopefully in October and November, I should have a bit more free time to work on it.

I will mention what I have got planned for V1.6.  While showing it to one of my friends, he mentioned that it would be nice to make the tool to smaller and perhaps put the options into sections.  So I'm working on that by adding in a "Tabs" feature in.  Here is what it looks like at the moment:

Should look good when it's done.  The good news is I can add in extra text boxes explaining about the options to edit.

In the "Name" section, I plan to add a virtual keyboard (well buttons layed out in the QWERTY keyboard) so users can either type the name, or press the buttons.  Plus, this will tell the user what letters can be used.

The "Colors" section will be modified so the user of radio buttons will be used to select the color to edit and have the colors to pick in the same tab.  Hopefully I'm making sense.  If not, the screenshot in the future will. Smile

The "Type" section will be changed so it's part of the "Pilot" section, but I'm not sure how let.  I've got a few ideas to play with. 

Other than better quality images to be added, the rest of the sections should be the same.  Speaking of images, I'm hopying to try and rip the 2D graphics from the rom.  If anyone knows how to do this, let me know becuase for now, I have to research on how to do this.  If the worse comes to the worse, I'll just use the images fzeroman screenshooted, which are better than the current ones used in the tool.

Finally, you will have noticed from the screenshot, the "Save" / "Load" feature has gone.  That is because it will require a lot of code to add in and to be honest, I'm unsure how to code it in.  I don't feel it is worth my time researching on this for the amount of people that use it.  If someone would like to program this feature in, they can.  I will be releasing the source code in the next update, so the feature could be added in the future.  For now, there are no plans for me to do that however.

To make up for the lost fetaure, I will add a feature to load "Pre-Built" machines by the fans.  Have not programmed it in let, but it is on my to do list.

That is it for now.  I'll keep you guys update on any progress.  There won't be any in September as I'm on holiday then.

aliman
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

Cool thing thumbs up ;D

RadioShadow
Black Bull
Reply to this Post
Mini update time!  The "Names" and "Colors" section are mostly complete.  I need to tidy the interface up, but the coding is pretty much done for those two sections.

As I mentioned in my previous post, you can now use the buttons to type in the letters.

The colors section is a lot better now.  You just select which color part to edit (the radio buttons) and click on one of the defualt colours or pick a custom color.  No more having to open a seperate form to select a color.
Yoshi52
Blue Falcon
Reply to this Post

Progress is looking good. I can't wait for the release!

And "PONY-DJ3?" Heh, I see what you did there. Wink

RadioShadow
Black Bull
Reply to this Post
Yoshi52 wrote:

And "PONY-DJ3?" Heh, I see what you did there. Wink

Watching "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" helps me code better.  Okay... maybe it doesn't. Razz

Well I have some bad news.  First, I have decided to remove the codes to create the "Super Machines".  This is mainly to remove unnecessary code and make things a bit simpler.  The tool will basically now just be used to create a Custom Machine.  I will post the Super Machine codes topics in a separate topic however.

Second, you won't be able to add the "&" letter in a machines name.  In the tool anyway.   Now this isn't due to the fact I dislike this letter, it's due to a bug in Visual Basic 6.0.  Basically, it will not allow me to insert the ascii letter "&" into a label or a command button.  It will display fine in a text box, but I have replaced the one used in the tool with a label box.  There are ways of me to get it back in, such as using an alternate letter like "+" and make the tool convert it into a "&" when the codes are made, but this might cause a bit of confusion.  I could add the text box back it, but then I have to change how the code works, which I don't fancy doing for one letter.  So I've gone with the easy option and not used it.   Blame VB6, not me.

Now for the good news.  Well it almost became bad news.  As I mentioned, the text box where you enter the machine's name has been replaced with a label.  Basically, only the tool can add text to it.  This meant the keyboard function has gone.  As I showed in my last post, I have used buttons to add the letters instead. 

I originally wasn't going to code a keyboard function back in, but at work it occurred to me I could use the keys on the keyboard to activate command buttons.  Let's just say this took longer than I expected to code in.  The main problem was, you can use the spacebar or enter keys, to repress a command button that was already pressed (in focus being the proper word to use).  To be fair, this is a default thing "Windows OS" does and it is not something that can be turned off.  So I can't blame VB6.  I soon figured out how to fix this problem however.

In a nutshell, the code I have used works a lot better than the previous code and you can still use the keyboard to enter a name.

Here is what the "Name" section looks like now.  You can now use the "backspace" to delete the last letter or the "delete" key to delete all the letters.

Also, here is a preview of the "Pilot Select" section.  Not really much to show off, so don't get too excited.

Last of all, I have decided to release a "beta" version of the tool on the 30th September.  For two reasons:
- That is when my birthday is.  I'll be 23.
- Some feedback on the new layout.  What you like and don't like.

Now when I say "beta", I mean what ever the tool looks like on that day.  I'm not aiming to make it look neat or prevent any bugs from happening.  Basically, the tool might not work 100% and you might run into bugs (this could be due to unfinshed code).  Anyway,  you guys have that to look forward to.

I'll stop using that image. Razz 
One other thing, I'm going on holiday this Saturday for a week, so I won't be coding the tool too much this week, as I mentioned in my last post. 

This post was longer than I expected it to be. Smile
Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

oh god these ponies are making me sick. they're in every forum blaarcgggghhffffuzzzz..........

good to see the editor still progressing. the super machines aren't really important to be part of the creation tool itself since they're exclusive to their pilots. you could make an "extra" tab and have these machines with their codes there just for people to have them easily available (i bet people are going to ask for those codes anyway) since i think the GS codes should be the same ones (maybe have it dislay different codes depending on the chosen region). the & character isn't going to be missed though since 8 charcter names don't leave much room for crazy names (like gomar & shioh)

"Patience is useful in any moment"
Yoshi52
Blue Falcon
Reply to this Post

I'll be looking forward to it, for sure. =3

And I hope you have fun with the holiday-vacation-thing!

RadioShadow
Black Bull
Reply to this Post
Well I'm back from my holiday!

Just a mini update.  I've added in two more tabs.  Them being the "Codes" and "Load".  The codes section is where the created codes will be displayed, rather than a seperate form appearing each time. 

The main problem with coding on a widescreen monitor, is you forget about monitors that aren't widescreen.  My parent's computer use a small monitor, so I checked the tool on that to make sure the tool wasn't too big.  See the image below:
CustomMachine
Blue Falcon
Reply to this Post

Your link doesn't work, dude...

Even Chuck Norris can't play LittleBIGPlanet on the Xbox 360! - me
RadioShadow
Black Bull
Reply to this Post
CustomMachine wrote:

Your link doesn't work, dude...

I've fixed the link to Version 1.5.

I've also released the Version 1.6 (beta) on the first page. 

Enjoy! Smile
VoltraK
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

RadioShadoww. I'vve 8een trying to get your 8rilliant Car Editor to wwork for me for 8 months. And I STILL can't get it to wwork 8ecause EVVERY time I try, it ALWWAYS givves me this "RICHTX32" error <_>

Evven wwith your vversion 1.6 8eta, it STILL does it. And the 8eta dowwnload COMES wwith Richtx32.

I wwould really wwell enjoy if you could help me wwith this.

RadioShadow
Black Bull
Reply to this Post
VoltraK wrote:

RadioShadoww. I'vve 8een trying to get your 8rilliant Car Editor to wwork for me for 8 months. And I STILL can't get it to wwork 8ecause EVVERY time I try, it ALWWAYS givves me this "RICHTX32" error <_>

Evven wwith your vversion 1.6 8eta, it STILL does it. And the 8eta dowwnload COMES wwith Richtx32.

I wwould really wwell enjoy if you could help me wwith this.

That's an easy fix.  You just place the missing "RICHT32.OCX" in the same folder as the tool. 

I've updated the Beta file on the first page to include the missing ocx files.  Let me know if there are any other problems.

VoltraK
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

The OCX file is in the same folder as the tool, 8ut it still doen't wwork.

Soo, wwhat noww?

VoltraK
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

NEVVERMIND~

I figured out howw to do it~

I just had to Run As Administrator and noww it wworks~

VoltraK
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

Sorry for flooding this forum wwith my posts, 8ut I found a glitch wwith the editor.

Wwhen you're choosing wwhat your stats are, normally there's restrictions, like if you havve C Grip and A 8oost, you can havve C or lowwer 8ody.

8ut if you make your stats D-A-D, wwhich is legal, you noww havve an option to press A 8ody, givving you A-A-D, wwhich is illegal. After that, you get the option to press A grip, givving you A-A-A stats. You might wwanna find a wway to fix this. Hope me pointing this out helps (Y)

RadioShadow
Black Bull
Reply to this Post
VoltraK wrote:

Sorry for flooding this forum wwith my posts, 8ut I found a glitch wwith the editor.

Wwhen you're choosing wwhat your stats are, normally there's restrictions, like if you havve C Grip and A 8oost, you can havve C or lowwer 8ody.

8ut if you make your stats D-A-D, wwhich is legal, you noww havve an option to press A 8ody, givving you A-A-D, wwhich is illegal. After that, you get the option to press A grip, givving you A-A-A stats. You might wwanna find a wway to fix this. Hope me pointing this out helps (Y) 

That means the stats restrictions need to be double checked.  In the file shows this:
DAD
Body:
Boost:
Grip: B A

It basically means if the stats DAD are selected, only Grip grades B and A are disabled. I can easily fix the problem, but I’ll have to get someone with an Expansion Pack to check the restrictions. 

Anyway, hope you all had a good 2011!  I will mention that back in November, I went to Replay Expo (Blackpool, England)  www.replayexpo.com/. It is the second year it was hosted and basically had loads of retro games / arcades to play on.  They were also selling retro games too.  I myself got Micro Machines Turbo 64 for the Nintendo 64 for £10, brand new and boxed!

Check out the guy with the red Sonic The Hedgehog t-shirt.  I have no idea who he is. Smile

I was surprised to see the N64DD there which was awesome.  I didn’t get any time to make a course, but I did get to make a custom machine.  I was so tempted to name the custom machine "DJ PON-3", but went with "RAD-SHAD" instead.  Still, I got to experience the interface of the Machine Editor anyway.  Just a shame the TV it was connected wasn’t that great.

As for the tool itself, not much progress at the moment.  The good news is, January is a quiet month for me (that could easily change), so I’m, hoping to make a lot of progress.

First, the “Load” function has been removed.  I’ll be honest, I can’t be bothered to program that feature in.  I’m lazy, whatever.  Moving on!

I was speaking to one of my friends who suggested about having the necessary “parts / information” used to make the custom machine along with the codes in the output text box.  I’m surprised I didn’t think of it myself and is something I can easily code in.  You can see this feature as an alternative to the “Save” feature.

The “Machine Editor” on the N64DD picks the 2nd, 3rd and 4th body color at random from the 64 colors.  I wasn’t going to add this, but I want the tool to be as faithful as possible, and it shouldn’t be that hard to add.  In my tool, every-time body color 1 is picked; it will randomly pick the other body colors.  I will still give the option to select the colors for yourself (by the use of a tick box).

The “Super Machines” will be programmed back in.  I got plans on how to do this, but I’ll explain more when this happens.  Screenshots explain things better in most cases.

The final bit is improving the interface.  The most boring part, but it has to be done, especially adding it better quality images.  It will be worth it however.

My plan is to hopefully have this tool updated to V1.6 by the end of March.  If that doesn’t happen, then another beta will be released instead.  I’ll keep you people up to date on what happens.  For now, have a good 2012!
Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

heheh that's so nice to be able to see a 64DD and EK in person. that setup doesn't do it justice since you can't appreciate the improved sound.

they even have the same p1 controller that i have been using for over 10 years. what a coincidence.

i'm going to post a video showing all the machine restrictions since seeing it counts a lot more than just typing (and also i avoid any potential typing mistakes)

give me some time.

edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWk6nnrjU5U

if i forgot to test some, let me know.

"Patience is useful in any moment"
RadioShadow
Black Bull
Reply to this Post
I really wish they did use a better TV because the image quailty was a bit blurry (might have been due to using a AVI to VGA converter) and it was hard to hear the improved music from the TV.  Still, it was a blast to play on!

Thanks for posting the restrictions UchihaSasuke!  I'll try and check them along with my list on Sunday.

I've just finshed programming in the code to pick random body colors.  So it will pick random colors from the 64 colors, everytime you pick a color for "Body 1" (even if you select a custom color) and the tick box is unticked.   You will just have to take my word it works:

I mentioned in my previous post, in the output codes, it will mention what options were picked to make the machine.  Now the tricky part is how to display the colors picked.  I could just have it show the Red, Green, and Blue values like so:

"Body (Paint Job 1): Red = 234, Blue =123, Green =34"

That is fine if you picked a custom color, but if you selected one of the 64 colors, you don't really want to have to select that color by making it a custom color.  One option is to have numbers in the color boxes and refer to the numbers in the output text box like so:

"Body (Paint Job 1): Color 23

The other option is to actually display the color and the color's name in the ouptbox like so:

"Body (Paint Job 1): Red"

That is some of the ideas I've come up with any way.

RadioShadow
Black Bull
Re: F-ZERO X – Create Machine (Beta 1.6 and Progress Repor
Reply to this Post
Well this took a bit longer than I thought it would, but the nesscary options you pick now get shown in the Output Code textbox:

Below is an example of what would get printed out / saved to a text file:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nintendo 64 Game: F-ZERO X
Game Region: Europe / Oceania
Cheat Code: Custom Machine

800EAB55 0001
810EAB64 1B03
810EAB66 0200
810EAB68 0596
810EAB58 BD87
810EAB5A 38B7
810EAB5C C406
810EAB5E 4D07
810EAB60 B907
810EAB62 4EB4
810EAD1C 0104
800EAD1E 0005
810EAB56 2722
800EAD1F 0004
810EAD20 021E
810EAD22 1F23
810EAD24 582E
810EAD26 04F6
810EAD28 ED86
810C6F88 6465
810C6F8A 7270
810C6F8C 7900
810C6F8E 0000
800C6F90 0000

Pilot: Draq
Name: DERPY
Body: D
Boost: C
Grip: A
Front: Part 2
Rear: Part 5
Wing: Part 6
Line: 3
Emblem: 5
Number: Default
Body (Paint Job 1): Custom (R=189, G=196, B=185)
Body (Paint Job 2): Random
Body (Paint Job 3): Random
Body (Paint Job 4): Random
Line Color: 12
Number Color: 58
Cockpit Color: 21

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going to fix the stats restrictions next.  I should have some time tomorrow. Smile
RadioShadow
Black Bull
Re: F-ZERO X – Create Machine (Beta 1.6 and Progress Repor
Reply to this Post

Just a mini update.  I mentioned in my previous post that I would not add support to type the letter ‘&’ in the machine's name.  Well at the weekend, I was determined to find a work around and after 4 hours of trying stuff out, I finally got it to work. 

The first problem was that the 'Label' does not display the ‘&’ letter.  So the machine name edit box is not set up to use a Rich Text Box (same as the one where the codes are outputted to).  The nice thing about the Rich Text Box is I easily prevent the user from clicking on the box to display the text cursor to type.  The best bit is it supports the & letter.

The second problem was the code was set up to only accept one key press.  Of course, to type the ‘&’ letter (on a United Kingdom English keyboard in my case), you have to press Shift and 7.  Every time I pressed the keys, it kept displaying the 7.  I actually didn't notice that the code I used could detect if the shift button was being pushed.  So I rewrote the code and it is working much better now.

Actually, while just typing this, I just remembered that the ‘&’ is located in a different position on foreign keyboards and that at the moment, I've set it up so the & letter will display if the holds Shift and the number-7-key is pressed.  So if the keyboard is French or Spanish, you would have to press those keys, despite the fact the ‘&’ is on a different key. >_<  I can easily fix that.  If your keyboard doesn’t support the letter ‘&’ like the Hungarian keyboard, your out of luck.  Luckily, that is what the buttons are for.

The other minor problem was Command Buttons don’t like displaying the ‘&’ letter (god Visual Basic hates that letter).  I simply just inserted a picture of the letter & in the font as the rest of the letters on the keyboard.

Here is what Name section looks like now:

The Super Machine codes have now returned.  I need to fix a couple of things, but at least they are back.  What I have done is in the ‘Pilot’ section, if you select Captain Falcon, Jody Summer or Samurai Goroh, it will enable the “Create Super Machine’ button.  Simply click on this to create their Super Machine.  See screenshot below:

Index » F-Zero X » F-ZERO X - Create Machine (Beta 1.6 and Progress Report) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next