F-Zero MV
F-Zero X
F-Zero GX
F-Zero SNES
F-Zero Climax F-Zero GP Legend F-Zero MV F-Zero X F-Zero GX F-Zero SNES
Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
Climax Rules Resources Videos Ladders Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero Climax » Can anyone think of why GPL never continued in US?
customracer209
Black Bull
Can anyone think of why GPL never continued in US?
Reply to this Post

I never got to see the actual show, so I relied on youTube. I also saw only ONE commercial about it. Now a friend of mine said other anime like Pokemon or Digimon had to be edited if they hoped to continue in the US. Did F-Zero get canceld because of mistakes? What do you think?

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Re: Can anyone think of why GPL never continued in US?
Reply to this Post

the show basically tanked because they fiddled with it and promoted it very badly (not to mention it looked stupid from the very start)

the game never come out because the GBA was being discontinued at the time. there's quite a few late GBA games that never made it over here because of that.

RadioShadow
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

F***ing Pokémon.  The anime might have been one reason and I do remember reading somewhere about a poll of showing a new episode of Pokémon with Mew or an episode of F-ZERO GP Legend (well something like that).  F-ZERO won (but I bet it was rigged XD) so it got show up to 15 episodes in America.  Never made it to the UK which pissed me off. 

While F-ZERO isn't the best anime, it is still decent and the episodes get better as they go along.  The one problem with the F-ZERO translation was 4Kids translated it and they are known for bad dubs (replacing the music and editing parts not suitable for kids).  Although I think they did a good job on episode 2 and 15.  However, the anime was unpopular in the US and it got canceled and more F***ing Pokémon episodes came along instead.  Sad

Also F-ZERO GP Legend wasn't the most popular game sold for the GBA and F-ZERO Climax didn't sell as many copies as Nintendo would have liked.  Plus the Nintendo DS was on its way and they didn't see the point of translating F-ZERO Climax into English which also sucked. 

customracer209
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

Oh, heck no. Only 15 darn episodes?! Fire Emblem had more success in Japan. Kirby and Sonic X. Was F-Zero worse than them?! It can't be!

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

F-Zero is just not popular at all anywhere. it's a brand problem really. i bet that's why they don't make F-Zero games anymore.

all the other shows listed are several times more popular than f-zero has ever been. also, popularity and quality almost never go hand in hand so the anime could have been better than all those others but still zero popularity.

Black_ShadowGX
Blue Falcon
Reply to this Post

Hmm IMO I think the anime should really be ignored for the most part. However it did have some pretty good story elements that could be used for the canon games.

However the main part of some arguements were that Captain Falcon dispite being the most recognizable and the main F-Zero guy was not really the main character of the show but rather a title given to a person. & That doesn't help matters when the main guy of the anime was mostly getting his butt handed to him and sulking over his gf for about 40 episodes.

Another thing was that the timeline and several character & machine designs were changed mostly for the worse(the green panther and bio rex & Mr. Zero looked awful). Gack!

4kids do I need to say anything else?

But its also what UchihaSasuke said. F-Zero has never been as popular as those previous series that had their own anime. And many reveiw sites did say it was weird that Nintendo was trying to take one of their hardcore and cult series mainstream with a TV show.

heres an interview with Takaya Imamura on IGN about F-Zero. http://cube.ign.com/articles/427/427647p1.html  And his quote:

"Of course, since I have worked on the F-Zero series, and seeing the results of the collaboration with Sega, I found myself at something of a loss as to how we can take the franchise further past F-Zero GX and AX." It could be more then just recent sales as to why no news of F-Zero has been said of the last few years.  Remember GX is usually ranked as one of the hardest games of all time to beat by a large number of game websites. And considering Nintendo's recent change to the more casual audience maybe a sequel to one the hardest games of all just doesn't fit on Wii?

Also with motion controls seemingly very iffy for F-Zero it just doesn't seem F-Zero was what Nintendo had in mind when developing the Wii. And an interveiw with Miyamoto did point out immediatley that they weren't willing to put motion controls on the F-Zero series cause it wouldn't work. And as far as I can tell if a game cannot get motion controls then more then likely it will not see a release on the console and given the bombs of the GBA games I bet Nintendo isn't wanting to pump out another handheld F-Zero either.

At the most I say given cameos of F-Zero in recent Nintendo titles Nintendo clearly isn't wanting to forget this series but they sure as heck don't want to create another bomb on their hands. Prehapes it's best for this series to sit out of the Wii/DS era.

Dark_Schnieder00
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

4Kids basically messing up the show, the shows low ratings, & poor sales of GP legends pretty much made up Nintendo's mind not the release the final GBA game worldwide.

customracer209
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

The GPL I have was actually the last and only one in the store. But I must agree with you. I got a better understanding. However, I think that very little characters were severely injured except Rick Wheeler, and possibly, his best friend.

Dark_Schnieder00
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post
customracer209 wrote:

The GPL I have was actually the last and only one in the store. But I must agree with you. I got a better understanding. However, I think that very little characters were severely injured except Rick Wheeler, and possibly, his best friend.

Rick Wheeler/Ryu Suzaku & jack levin are only popular for the Yoai fangirl crowd these days cause of that anime.

The only character who improved from the games was Black Shadow. That goes without saying.

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

motion controls aren't mandatory to make a wii game. remember SSBB? that game has almost zero use of the wii controller. even the remote-only configuration relies on buttons only.

if the game doesn't get made, it won't be because of motion controls. it will be more likely because they forgot how to make an f-zero game or they're too worried about the game flopping (but even that isn't very credible since they've produced some bombs recently. most are japan-only so almost no one knows about them)

and that blurb about not knowing where to take it past GX/AX is laziness and/or bullshit. they can improve the game. make track designs crazier, make a true car editor, make a very robust track editor, put a real tutorial to teach all those whiners how to play, put a more varied mission mode, put online play (vs and tournaments like in mario kart wii), change a bit the gameplay mechanics, etc.

Cpt.JJ
Blue Falcon
Reply to this Post

That does make sense and the ideas that you have put across are very good ones, it is a shame that we cannot pitch this at Nintendo to see what they think about it

Dark_Schnieder00
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

The games for Wii

Star Fox Assault, Kirby Air Ride, & F-Zero GX with New Play Control. Nintendo will more then likely do this with those series rather than develope a new game.

While those are good/great ideas I just have a feeling Nintendo just does not care about F-Zero that much. Cause it screams work for Nintendo and if that title is not Mario/Zelda then they not gonna try with it.

customracer209
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

Nintendo should never try to make F-Zero in 2D. But it could do a lot of good to make a F-Zero Wii game that functions like Brawl. On a side note, it should make a rebound, like Kirby (my brother says that Kirby may appear on the Wii a second time.). I would like to see it next to Pokemon Battle Revolution (which I never got!) in sales.

F-Zero is my medicine and I must have it at least 1 time a day. I want F-Zero to live on in 3D. It was crap on 2D.

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

there won't be any more new play control games. metroid prime 2 and chibi robo were the last ones.

customracer209
Black Bull
Reply to this Post
UchihaSasuke wrote:

there won't be any more new play control games. metroid prime 2 and chibi robo were the last ones.

Crud!

customracer209
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

You are right about those suggestions, but I think that there should be more machines from GP Legend (Because GX and GPL were in the same year) Also should have been GBA comptible. They also ought to include the golden parts too. And let you create 300+ pilots and have them on interviews!

Black_ShadowGX
Blue Falcon
Reply to this Post

F-Zero GX & F-Zero GP Legends do not take place within the same timeline, despite being released around the same time. The anime and GX/AX were never made to go hand in hand so therefore no GbA/GCN connection between the two games.

F-Zero GX is set in the year 2561 while GP Legends is set in 2201.

So far the accepted canon timeline is F-Zero - F-Zero X - F-Zero GX/AX

The timeline where the Horrific Grand Finale and the F-Zero Execution project does not take place is F-Zero - F-Zero maximum Velocity. It is a reboot.

The Timeline where the anime takes place in is set in 2201 and in a different universe. F-Zero GP Legends - F-Zero Climax. It is a reboot.

Great ideas UchihaSasuke, but given Nintendo's recent attitude towards this series(and others) I serious doubt any of those will come into play. Note I was simply stating what has been said not really my own opinion. I know there is more that can be down with this series but same could be said for Nintendo's other series but they are playing it's safe "if it's not broke why fix it?" strategy.

They may not be very crediable reasons, but this is Nintendo we're talking about here. Logic with them usually doesn't go hand in hand. Congrats to the Golden Sun fans though for getting a new game at E3. That was unexpected.

customracer209
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

It's a good thing some people like us CARE about F-Zero, unlike other people. WE HAVE TO STOP TRASHING OUR OLD GAMES!

DeathWindPico
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

One thing you haven't mentioned is that even before the dub, what I've seen of the Anime wasn't all that great.  Sure, it's better than nothing, but in the anime Black Shadow, Don Genie, and Deathborn are all the same person.

customracer209
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

GX hintsage-

Don Genie seems to have a close relationship with Black Shadow.

For Dathborn, I can't find any hints.

But Nintendo totally rode on the first hint. Then they sort of tied Deathborn with Black Shadow.

I was angry that they forgot about some of the other AX pilots. I mean think about it.

also in GX, Jody seems to be a serene character, but in GPL, she's far manlier, and also she doesn't have a perfectly human body. Her left chest was blown from Zada's missile attack, so she got an artificial one instead. Jack Levin is not a popstar, like in the accepted series, but rather a cop who used to be Michael Chain's man nicknamed Death god of thunder however, in one episode, we see girls go to Jack like it was supposed to be, but they went to 150-year old Formula 1 champ/detective Rick Wheeler. Clash had a drastic change. Instead of being called Dr. Clash, he's just Clash. Also he's got a Russian accent. Aside from other major character changes, there are also model changes/errors. In one episode Astro Robin's stripe was red. In the whole series, Blue Falcon completely changed. It also actually guised itself as the Red Bull--as seen in one of the later episodes. Zoda was 150 years old, but in the acceptable timeline, his age is unknown. Technically, he is still older than Rick Wheeler will ever be.

Those were some of the things I noticed.

Index » F-Zero Climax » Can anyone think of why GPL never continued in US?