Home Page
F-Zero Central Community Update (Jul.) Championships General Forum Players Photo Album
F-Zero Climax
F-Zero GP Legend
F-Zero MV
F-Zero X
F-Zero GX
F-Zero SNES
F-Zero Climax F-Zero GP Legend F-Zero MV F-Zero X F-Zero GX F-Zero SNES
Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
GX Rules Resources Videos Ladders Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero GX » Tool-Assisted Speedrun(s) Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
CGN
Staff Ghost
Tool-Assisted Speedrun(s)
Reply to this Post

Here is the first TAS ever made of F-Zero GX: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1AsNpV4c0U

The result isn't that amazing, and that's because I can't play perfectly with the board. There isn't any option to ''Frame Advance'' either, which is a huge loss for optimization.

To those of you who does not know what a TAS is, a TAS is a run made with an emulator where special tools are available, such as: frame-by-frame speed, and re-recording from save states, which are used constantly throughout the run in order to make it as optimal as possible.

Note: When Snaking is optimized, it looks quite different from what we have been used to see. Formerly, it was optimal to make wide Snaking patterns to gain as much speed as possible. However, in a TAS, by alternating between L+left & right+R every other frame, it is possible to gain speed beyond what traditional strides are capable of. Additionally, when tool-assisted, it accelerates slightly faster, meaning that the traditional Snaking is most likely to become left out in most cases when making TASes.

-Tool-Assisted Snaking technique, discovered by Mugg1991. Alternate technique name would be Shaking.

YouTube playlist of most F-ZERO GX TASes made so far: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9B347D67216AA868

2nd smaller TAS topic which was made later for whatever reason:

http://fzerocentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=13941

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Re: Tool-Assisted Speedrun
Reply to this Post

one step closer to my dream of seeing a CTT race with constant 9000+ km/h SBs across the whole track.

"Patience is useful in any moment"
Thunder_Luigi
Fire Stingray
Reply to this Post

And thus begins the part where this game gets completely beaten like F-Zero X. Then years from now, a track editor arrives...

CKeegan
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

So this means that gamecube plugins have the ability to slow down the game?

JkLoser
Jet Vermilion
Reply to this Post

I'm proberly the only one that hates TAS videos ;p Well in games that I compete in, so I hope no one good does videos of maxspeed :) Neither will I help anyone with strat tips to make a maxspeed video ;p

Old and tired... ;p
mugg1991
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

Hello. This is my first post in this forum. I'm mugg from TASvideos (Youtube: mugg1991).

I took a close look at the Dolphin emulator in the past few days. The emulator still has a long way to go but I saw many people uploading TASes in both SSBM and SSBB to Youtube (ssbm4ever, LPZampa, sockdude1, Jpleal10). So I wanted to be one of them, but an emulator problem is currently keeping me from properly using Dolphin.

SSBM isn't the only game I planned to focus on. I was also going to try F-zero GX and that's why I'm posting here. I really love this game's fast pace! I watched many world record videos and I can imagine that TAS videos of this game will look even better, using all the existing exploits perfectly without any mistakes. Now unfortunately I have next to no knowledge about this game. I can't get snaking to work and I kept messaging CGN on youtube about it... It was said it works by pressing and holding L+left and R+right alternatedly, but I can't gain any speed (it always stays at around 1000km/h).

I'm not sure if I want to turn this thread into a "How to snake" thread, but I was just in the mood to post in this forum. Razz This seems to be the place where most F-zero GX pros hang around it seems... ?

In the long run, I hope to learn more about the game's exploits and I hope the issues with Dolphin get fixed in the future.

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

i was hoping to see a bigger focus on Max Speed settings since you can abuse MT and shift boosts a lot more but i guess TASers would care more about absolute speed and snaking is faster in most tracks. keep in mind that in both CTT and SOLS max speed is faster than snaking due to the track layout and there might be even another track with this situation with extreme shift boost manipulation (though it looks very unlikely)

the snaking glitch doesn't work with every ship. you must use a ship where doing L+left and R+right motions get you a lot of speed with max acceleration settings. the best non-custom cars with this property include Black Bull and Fat Shark. unfortunately, they're unlockables and TASes usually rely on the stuff available from a fresh file. the only ships that can do snaking decently from the starting ones are Blue Falcon and Fire Stingray. the other 2 aren't even worth considering. before you point out their stats, this game is really inconsistent with stats and almost no ship performs like it should going by their stats.

you could probably circumvent the unlockables problem by saving both of the machines to a garage file and then load the garage since the game doesn't restrict garage ships even if the file is brand new. that way you can store Fat shark outside the base file and just load it when doing an attempt. custom cars require the garage and they're superior to even Fat shark at Snaking and have a really big advantage. you could also make a replay file when you complete a TAS and then play back the replay file from the replay mode since that file stores all the information to run the replay regardless of actual save data and you wouldn't need to have anything unlocked nor a garage file present for it to run.

there's also the issue with the japanese parts that can't be unlocked and are used often. i imagine those wouldn't be used for TASes since you need an Action Replay to use them in the regular game.

since Max speed requires less input, maybe you could try some races with those settings before going fully with snaking. that way you get to know how the game behaves more deeply and can compare the differences between several techs on both settings.

mugg1991
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

It seems that I confused Max acceleration with Max speed in the settings, so that's why snaking didn't work.

Here is a test TAS I made. I'm losing speed in a lot of places in it so it could probably a lot more optimal. The problem is to use MT effectively and keeping control of the machine when going to the sides. Especially when at 3000-4000 km/h you lose speed very fast.

youtube*dot*com/watch?v=ezee95RI57g

Snaking was used, but you can't really see it since I change directions every frame.

L<,R>,L<,R>,L< ...and so on.

CGN
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

Great try on Chap. 5, Mugg1991. I never knew about the ''Frame Advance 30L+30R per second input'' for Snaking. It will be interesting to see more of that. I only wish my computer could handle the graphics of the newer Dolphin emulators... :( Well, at least we have you. ;)

Edit: Yes, finally. My mother's computer, (LOL), is stronger than mine, so I can finally make TAS videos.

CGN
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

I'm preparing to TASing. I have gotten to Chap. 6 and got Fat Shark unlocked.

mugg1991
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

Chapter 2 [29''416] [TAS] [Very hard]

youtube*dot*com/watch?v=ezee95RI57g

Chapter 5 [31''772] [TAS] [Very hard]

youtube*dot*com/watch?v=9u9KhzwHaDw

CGN is probably going to pwn my videos. Razz

I'm thinking about TASing Chapter 2 (redo), 3 and 4.

Chapter 6 has a shortcut and is very hard without rerecording. Chapter 1 I find very annoying in Very hard.

Here is my memory card file: file-upload*dot*net/download-2872142/MemoryCardA.USA.raw.html

CGN
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

My .cgi file is soon complete with what I need for TASing. I'm only missing the custom part ''Titan-G4'' which is needed to my CTT TAS. I'm wondering if I should wait with the CTT TAS because the currently GC/Wii Dolphin Emulators have such a funny look on custom machines. Maybe we should wait until the graphic issue is fixed? Here are some pictures:

http://ul.to/98mycm (Looks exelent in garage mode but only when changing the parts).

http://ul.to/ib5ams (Looks like this when not changing the parts and everywhere else in the game).

http://ul.to/62dk8u (In race it doesn't have any engine animation. So you can't see when I'm holding A or not, which is a bit lame). And the pilot looks funny. xD

CTT is requested a lot so I thought it could be nice with some information about it? In my opinion we should wait with TASing it...

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

Mugg wrote:

Here is a test TAS I made. I'm losing speed in a lot of places in it so it could probably a lot more optimal. The problem is to use MT effectively and keeping control of the machine when going to the sides. Especially when at 3000-4000 km/h you lose speed very fast.

MTing with max acceleration loses speed much faster than at max speed due to how the physics behave at different settings so if you lose lots of speed, that is normal. boost power raises your speed faster with max acceleration but isn't as strong as with max speed. good control of the machine should let you keep most of the speed anyway.

as for CTT, since i requires massive shift boosts and the TAS could go above 9000 km/h without dying, it should be harder to do properly than other tracks so i'm fine with it being delayed until you guys have a lot more experience TASing the game.

edit: i watched the vids and snaking looks interesting. i almost seems like max speed since the ship barely moves.

a tip for better MT would be to release A just before the boost runs out. most of the sharp speed decease happens at the instant you keep holding A and the boost ends. maybe releasing it 1 frame before boost ends could have the best result but i don't know the precise behavior of stuff here.

also, could you test how high the speed can go with BF and repeated shift boosts with max speed settings? i feel that doing that and keeping the ship at 4000-5000 km/h or above could be faster than snaking in CH2.

CGN
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

New and currently best Snaking TAS of Chapter 2 Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rct0zJPT_xM

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

damn, looks like snaking did get up to 4000-5000.

i'm still curious about max speed. it has the benefit of way better MT all around but SBs are far harder to pull off compared to how snaking looks now.

CGN
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

The maxspeed was 5554km/h when MTing and 4492km/h while holding the engine. I tried a Shift Boost once just for fun in another run and got a speed of 12000km/h! Only on one frame, though. I wonder how it would look like if I used the Tool-Assisted Snaking tech and SBing through the whole track? And with Maxspeed settings, too?

It's hard to say yet which settings that are the fastest on courses like: CTT, SOLS, FFU, Chap. 2 and Chap. 9 because of all the SBs. With the new snaking tech it might win all of them. Still, frame perfect SBing with Maxspeed has not been tested by anyone yet but can probably keep the speed higher and ''maybe'' build higher speed than Snaking. If the new Snaking tech is not used, Maxspeed might beat most of the Snaking runs. I'm not sure. Difficult to say when watching the diffrent between the best Chap. 2 on Maxspeed and Snaking. Maxspeed: 36''670, Snaking: 36''495. One course I think have already become a winner is SOLS with Maxspeed settings, because the Tool-Assisted Snaking can barely be used there.

adel
Golden Fox
Reply to this Post

Did you use HSSA tech ?

With HSSA I can fly with blue falcon in max speed

in TAS Pushing "A+SA+Left" 30 time per second Surprised 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdU6hZ6bxN8

Sorry for my Bad English ^^'
CGN
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

No, the HSSA tech wasn't used. Only (What I call ''Tool-Assisted Snaking'') was used by changing direction with L< and R> on every frame.

Maybe It would be nice with some TASs using HSSA? In Snaking it's possible to do ''Tool-Assisted Snaking'' which also means it should be allowed to do HSSA in Maxspeed when doing a TAS.

Next video will be a custom machine demo. Just to show how the custom machine looks like in video. I don't have time to do it before the 22th october. If I don't finish it that weekend I might finish it between 5-7th november instead. I don't have much time to TAS F-0 GX as you probably just noticed.

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

shift boosts suddendly going over 10000 are going to be somewhat of a problem due to the sudden stop. keeping it between 9000 and 10000 would be what really good MT with max speed TAS should be capable of imo, unless there's other limitations around.

CGN
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

The sudden stop is a known problem with suicide finishes. I haven't heard of sudden stops while not trying to do a suicide finish. (Mostly because I haven't heard of anyone going over 10000+km/h with Shift Boosts, Non-TAS). I don't know why this happens but it might be because of a strange landing angle when going so fast on a road which doesn't go straight or on a road that goes higher or lower. I'm not sure how to explane. Still, it shouldn't be a problem with ''rerecording/savestate'' if the speed limit can be reached with Shift Boosting.

Maxspeed is the best to keep the speed is what I think, too. But we may be wrong because Snaking + Shift Boosting can build major speed pretty fast, as well. If it's not possible to Shift Boost anymore on a road, Maxspeed will keep the speed much longer than regular Snaking does. Tool-Assisted Snaking can maybe continue to build speed, but I'm not sure yet because I haven't tested what the speed limit of Tool Assisted Snaking is. Regular Snaking is possible slower than Maxspeed when Shift Boosting.

Index » F-Zero GX » Tool-Assisted Speedrun(s) Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next