F-Zero MV
F-Zero X
F-Zero GX
F-Zero SNES
F-Zero Climax F-Zero GP Legend F-Zero MV F-Zero X F-Zero GX F-Zero SNES
Twitter Facebook YouTube Twitch
GX Rules Resources Videos Ladders Your Times Latest Times Records Forum
   « View previous topic | View next topic »  
    Index » F-Zero GX » Tool-Assisted Speedrun(s) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
CGN
Staff Ghost
Tool-Assisted Speedrun(s)
Reply to this Post
Root Topic

Here is the first TAS ever made of F-Zero GX: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1AsNpV4c0U

The result isn't that amazing, and that's because I can't play perfectly with the board. There isn't any option to ''Frame Advance'' either, which is a huge loss for optimization.

To those of you who does not know what a TAS is, a TAS is a run made with an emulator where special tools are available, such as: frame-by-frame speed, and re-recording from save states, which are used constantly throughout the run in order to make it as optimal as possible.

Note: When Snaking is optimized, it looks quite different from what we have been used to see. Formerly, it was optimal to make wide Snaking patterns to gain as much speed as possible. However, in a TAS, by alternating between L+left & right+R every other frame, it is possible to gain speed beyond what traditional strides are capable of. Additionally, when tool-assisted, it accelerates slightly faster, meaning that the traditional Snaking is most likely to become left out in most cases when making TASes.

-Tool-Assisted Snaking technique, discovered by Mugg1991. Alternate technique name would be Shaking.

YouTube playlist of most F-ZERO GX TASes made so far: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9B347D67216AA868

2nd smaller TAS topic which was made later for whatever reason:

http://fzerocentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=13941

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Re: Tool-Assisted Speedrun
Reply to this Post

CGN wrote:

Mostly because I haven't heard of anyone going over 10000+km/h with Shift Boosts, Non-TAS

here's where being among the old players from the start helps. i remember when Mad Andy was playing CTT snaking and was using SBs too and he got one that went over 10000 and caused him to get the instant stop. he made a vid of it. this was in like 2003/2004.

"Patience is useful in any moment"
CGN
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

So there are players who have managed to go over 10000km/h+? When I did an overlimit on Chapter 2 I didn't get any sudden stop but I had a frame with a speed of 7km/h before the 12000km/h showed up. It went in a common way down from 4500km/h after the frame that showed 12000km/h. There are many spots where sudden stops appear. I guess you need luck on Non-TASs. Here is the part where rerecording/savestate comes in handy as I've already written.

I wish I had been active in 2004, too. I'm pretty new compared to when the Snaking players: Mad Andy, Mitani, WHVN, Mengsk, OSGear and BS played... I first found MFO in 2008. :|

The most crazy Shift Boosts that has ever happened to me are a few I've gotten very rarely on SOLS while Snaking and doing a Shift Boost before the lift off at the end of the course. (A known Shortcut used in Snaking). I don't have any video of it because I always retire whenever it happens. I can remember I had a speed of 6000-7000km/h after the insane speed frame. Which probably means I went over 10000km/h. Not sure though since I haven't had any time to watch the speedometer during the race because I need fully consentration when doing that difficult Shortcut. However, no sudden stop has happened to me there because I'm only on the course for a few frames before I lift off after the Shift Boost.

Uchiha Madao
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

that's the good thing with TAS. you can do more research on these things that are normally too hard to notice.

"Patience is useful in any moment"
JkLoser
Jet Vermilion
Reply to this Post

I've made sudden stop on OSMS both snaking and non snaking.

To be honest I don't know why, but it could be a overwhelming speed that cause the sudden stop, or maybe that you reach over 10k when you hit a sb. But I don't really have a clue.

Old and tired... ;p
CGN
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

JKL: Sudden stops are common to almost everywhere when doing suicides. If you did suicides in your runs? Shift Boosts do rarely stop to what I have understood.

By the way, I might wait with the TAS Maxspeed Demo. I need to complete GP two more times to get Titan-G4, which takes forever on an emulator with a speed of 10-20 FPS.

Scepheo
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

I'm just blurting stuff out now but, could the run-into-a-mine-at-0-km/h thing be used while TASing? If we can get some aim into it...

On an unrelated noted: Hi mugg, fancy seeing you here.

mugg1991
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

Hey!

I don't think it can be used since the glitch indicates that you are "gone". The camera or machine don't have real position data, at least I heard that the 3 lines of text indicate such.

midiman
Dragon Bird
Reply to this Post

Did a 12"925 run on MCTR yesterday. The opener sucks though Sad
I haven't tried the frame-by-frame snaking yet.

VIDEO LINK

Splits: 8"548 - 2"316 - 2"061 = 12"925

CGN
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

Nice SpaceFlying TAS Midiman. :)

The opener is maybe a bit slow to be a TAS? But it's an early TAS by you, so I understand. The frame advanced Snaking might save some time in the opener. Boost Laps looks exelent to me. Maybe you should try to use some rerecords next time? If your computer can?

I'm still working on the Maxspeed demo on ADS. My MTSing looks ''currently'' very horrible when TASing. It's just a demo but I will have to work a bit on them. I got a nice 2000km/h SB, though, before the dive. Currently working on the Shift Boosts now. I was hoping I could finish the TAS this weekend but I'll need some more time to finish some good Shift Boosts.

JkLoser
Jet Vermilion
Reply to this Post

Just to be clear I ment while just driving, no suicide on osms. It will get you to sudden stop more than rarely.

Old and tired... ;p
mugg1991
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

Nice to see another person try out TASing FZGX.

I haven't done much lately. I'm working on other projects and wait for Dolphin's development to improve further.

Good luck to you people.

mugg1991
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

youtube(DOT)com/watch?v=PpyrJZzFqbo

Chapter 5 , very hard , 20''203

CGN
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

There has been a long while now since I last finished any TAS. Finally here is my new video of Chapter 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z3jdCcBTx0

I have also done a TAS of Chapter 1 on Normal difficulty. I got a time of 23''482 with the splits of 10''715 + 07''134 + 05''633. However, I have messed up a bit with the file, so I will unfortunately need to redo it. Sad

EDIT: 20.05.2011

New time has been set! A lot of editing is however needed...

EDIT 2: Average speed on Chapter 2 was approximately 4433.91 km/h.

AKC12
Black Bull
Reply to this Post

The chapter 2 one is the greatest yet. I have no idea how one  can surpass that...

Here's another, not as impressive idea. You know how the AI can fly through the last turn in Phantom Road? How about we try to do that? I've done it a few times reliably with Rainbow Phoenix, even though I can't do it all the time. I thought about doing a run where I do that on the two boost laps, but I never got around to doing that. It would be sweet if someone could do that on max speed, it should be easy compared to all of these insane snaking videos you guys are doing.

All of my GX times with various machines: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12c92zTykQvGwPoCU6yGuOb7lwxFENUC9ELbHZcse1qE/
CGN
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

AKC12, I do understand what your idea is about. I've actually happened to do that lift off by accident a few times, as well. If I was going to TAS PRSLS, I would probably include that. I'm pretty sure it's pretty easy to perform it compared to a few new things I've discovered while TASing chapter 1... As I've already mentioned I had to redo chapter 1, and I'm still working (slowly) on it... However, after I'm finished with it I won't be able to TAS for a while...

CGN
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGxfC_fK1OI

Tool-Assisted Speedrun of Chapter 1 on Normal difficulty.

Time: 22''877 (Splits: 10''635 + 6''863 + 5''379)

Maxspeed: 9846km/h (A frame only included in my 60 FPS video)...

CGN
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

Tool-Assisted Speedrun of Sand Ocean: Lateral Shift! (This is my first complete Max Speed TAS, by the way).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NbduA_aLT0

Time: 43''745 Splits: (21''970 + 11''367 + 10''408)

samurai goroh
Fat Shark
Really nice TAS, thumbs up :D
Reply to this Post
FSF
Mr. EAD
Reply to this Post

Sand Ocean : Lateral Shift TAS'd is wicked O_O

CGN
Staff Ghost
Reply to this Post

I made a new Tool-Assisted Snaking Speedrun on Chapter 5 TAS, which took a couple of days to finish. Unfortunately, there will not be any video of it, because of an emulator playback issue that suddenly occurred. The recording does work properly every time I try to play it back, but only until it reach 8''1xx. There it doesn't do the correct input on a certain frame for some very odd reason... The final result from me on this TAS was 11''790...

IMPORTANT EDIT!

Don't worry people, I managed to recover the file! (Longer story about how)... The video will get published pretty soon I think. ^^

EDIT! Video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE1Yhz0Sy6c

Index » F-Zero GX » Tool-Assisted Speedrun(s) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next